New Interpol next week??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Interpol next week???

Jim Clark
09-21-2004, 12:14 PM
I caught somewhere that there's a 9.28 release date for the new Interpol CD. Man that would be just enough to make my day. Libertines, new Faint, and Interpol all in the same month. For as rough as the year started out for me we seem to be picking up some steam.

Oh, and I heard some samples from August's Clinic release. I dunno, sounded pretty darned good to me but AMG pretty much pisses on it, or at least a tinkle. Anyone have it yet who can offer up an opinion. FWIW since I don't have any Clinic it's not going to be stale as far as I'm concerned.

jc

Stone
09-21-2004, 12:19 PM
. . . I don't have any Clinic
jc

Then you should really get Internal Wrangler.

I haven't heard the new one, and I've specifically not bought it because of the lukewarm response it's getting.

MindGoneHaywire
09-21-2004, 01:38 PM
I have this, wasn't planning to listen to it as it's regarded to be techno, but I'd say that's not accurate. I had heard a prior album, don't remember what it was. Not sure what anyone was expecting so it's difficult for me to speak directly to an AMG pan. Sounds to me like minor-chord dance technopop, very retro-80s. Maybe this is what they mean by electroclash? I really don't know. Heavy on the synth & drum machine, nothing offensive here that I can hear. It's not really my thing, but it's not heavy-duty house music, either. Sounds like they were putting more thought into the songs than a lot of typical dance music. Reminds me of early Depeche Mode or even Yaz...no Alison Moyet here, but otherwise it's definitely in that ballpark. Hope that's helpful...

Jim Clark
09-21-2004, 01:52 PM
I have this, wasn't planning to listen to it as it's regarded to be techno, but I'd say that's not accurate. I had heard a prior album, don't remember what it was. Not sure what anyone was expecting so it's difficult for me to speak directly to an AMG pan. Sounds to me like minor-chord dance technopop, very retro-80s. Maybe this is what they mean by electroclash? I really don't know. Heavy on the synth & drum machine, nothing offensive here that I can hear. It's not really my thing, but it's not heavy-duty house music, either. Sounds like they were putting more thought into the songs than a lot of typical dance music. Reminds me of early Depeche Mode or even Yaz...no Alison Moyet here, but otherwise it's definitely in that ballpark. Hope that's helpful...

Do you subscribe to some premium AMG service? I can't seem to find a review at all. I do see where they give it four stars so somebody must have listened to it. I'm not doubting you here but I can't imagine who would call Interpol "techno". Maybe if they regard Joy Division as techno, but I don't know who would do that either. Pretty sure they use a real live drummer too so I'm not sure we're talking about the same band although
"minor-chord dance technopop, very retro-80s" seems like it could be a match in many ways.

just wondering, plus I remain hopeful that one pan isn't the start of something terrible!

jc

MindGoneHaywire
09-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Hey, you know what? Ignore my post. I wasn't paying enough attention. I was in the middle of doing two other things & read 'Clinic' as 'Client.' And it was the Client CD 'City' that I threw on. Put a dunce cap on me & stick me in a corner.

But I figured you're as likely to be into Client as the next guy...

Jim Clark
09-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Hey, you know what? Ignore my post. I wasn't paying enough attention. I was in the middle of doing two other things & read 'Clinic' as 'Client.' And it was the Client CD 'City' that I threw on. Put a dunce cap on me & stick me in a corner.

But I figured you're as likely to be into Client as the next guy...

Whew! I did find a couple of tracks on the interpol website www.interpolnycom and I'm pretty jazzed especially since we have a case of mistaken identity.

Client, huh???? Nah, I can't. I've already brought in too much lately. Speaking of too much I got this accoustic CD of some gal called Kaki King. The girl can surely play the geetar. That of course has nothing to do with anything so I'll be heading off to work now.

jc

Ex Lion Tamer
09-22-2004, 04:50 AM
Yeah I'm waiting anxiously for that Interpol release too, I have my ticket to see them on Oct. 14th, so I'm hoping to have it in my hot little hands well before then.

Slosh
09-22-2004, 01:55 PM
I caught somewhere that there's a 9.28 release date for the new Interpol CD.

How do you get a cringe smiley? :rolleyes:

Oh, and I heard some samples from August's Clinic release. I dunno, sounded pretty darned good to me but AMG pretty much pisses on it, or at least a tinkle. Anyone have it yet who can offer up an opinion. FWIW since I don't have any Clinic it's not going to be stale as far as I'm concerned.

jc

Problem with Clinic is while nearly all of their songs are indeed good ones, they tend to sound too samey. Great for comps, bad for a whole album. Stone's rec of Internal Wrangler certainly leads you to their most varied album. One song ended up on CRSv3. On a song-by-song basis both Walking With Thee and Winchester Cathedral are great but they get to be a bit much in a single listening session and they sound as if they were recorded at the same time (they weren't). If you haven't tossed all of my comps yet chances are pretty good that there's something from Thee somewhere in there.