strange problem with a denon receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : strange problem with a denon receiver

pizzakid13
09-20-2004, 11:28 PM
i have the denon 3801. i've had it for 3 years now. it has worked great. i have 5.1 setup in the main room and two sets or speakers upstairs and outside on the 7th channel. i have sattelite tv using the microsoft ultimate tv receiver. when i switched over to it from the regular rca, the sound was no longer carried over the 7th channel to the multi-room speakers. i found it strange but couldnt get it fixed and lived with it. i just got a new dvd player and now, it does the same thing! how in the world could a signal not be carried over the multi-room speakers if its playing fine in the main room? the cd-tuner-xbox all work fine. any ideas?

eqm
09-21-2004, 05:47 AM
i have the denon 3801. i've had it for 3 years now. it has worked great. i have 5.1 setup in the main room and two sets or speakers upstairs and outside on the 7th channel. i have sattelite tv using the microsoft ultimate tv receiver. when i switched over to it from the regular rca, the sound was no longer carried over the 7th channel to the multi-room speakers. i found it strange but couldnt get it fixed and lived with it. i just got a new dvd player and now, it does the same thing! how in the world could a signal not be carried over the multi-room speakers if its playing fine in the main room? the cd-tuner-xbox all work fine. any ideas?

sounds like a problem with the receiver setup. make sure the extra channels are set up to "2nd zone" and not "surround back". you should also check that you don't have "surround b" hooked up. i had the 3802 not too long ago and can't imagine it would be that different as far as setup is concerned. hope this helps.

jdd561
09-21-2004, 07:03 AM

You say the problem happened when you changed from RCA's...Does this mean you went to a digital input? My 3805 (and the whole 38xx series) does not send any digital signals to those last 2 channels when used separately..So I think you've got a design-intended use problem. A quickie fix might be to go ahead and use RCAs to attach your sources to another input you normally wouldn't use, as you can select a separate source for those channels. Hope that makes sense to ya

pizzakid13
09-21-2004, 11:33 AM
You say the problem happened when you changed from RCA's...Does this mean you went to a digital input? My 3805 (and the whole 38xx series) does not send any digital signals to those last 2 channels when used separately..So I think you've got a design-intended use problem. A quickie fix might be to go ahead and use RCAs to attach your sources to another input you normally wouldn't use, as you can select a separate source for those channels. Hope that makes sense to ya

the cd player is a digital signal. i have the cd-dvd-sattelite on optical input. the first sattelite receiver i had was carried over that channel and it was digital as well. maybe its a specific kind of digital signal?

pizzakid13
09-23-2004, 06:36 PM
i got a reply from denon on this issue. they stated that the multi-zones are not supposed to carry the digital singal. that i should connect the analog also. ok thats fine, but why does my cd player and original sattelite receiver work fine on the multi?