In wall speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In wall speakers

ericc
09-20-2004, 02:35 PM
I am building a new home and want to install inwall speakers. Any suggestions?

Geoffcin
09-20-2004, 03:22 PM
I am building a new home and want to install inwall speakers. Any suggestions?

And they work very well. They are the Cambridge Soundworks MC300IW. I use them for my rear surrounds in a 7.1 system. Sound and Vision just did a review of the major players.

Woochifer
09-20-2004, 05:41 PM
What's your budget and what kind of room is the installation going into?

Generally, in-wall speakers bring a myriad of acoustical problems into the mix and the cost/performance balance is not that good. I know it's nice to have a neat integrated look, but the tradeoff on the performance is something you should take a close look at. Plus, once you install them, you're stuck with them in that location.

The trend right now is to go with on-wall speakers, and there's a slew of new models that have come onto the market over the past year. Most of the on-wall models that I've heard sound much better than any of the in-wall installations that I've heard.

ericc
09-21-2004, 05:56 AM
My plan is to put them in a family room/ living room. I also looked at the Definitive Tech small surrounds?

What's your budget and what kind of room is the installation going into?

Generally, in-wall speakers bring a myriad of acoustical problems into the mix and the cost/performance balance is not that good. I know it's nice to have a neat integrated look, but the tradeoff on the performance is something you should take a close look at. Plus, once you install them, you're stuck with them in that location.

The trend right now is to go with on-wall speakers, and there's a slew of new models that have come onto the market over the past year. Most of the on-wall models that I've heard sound much better than any of the in-wall installations that I've heard.

Woochifer
09-21-2004, 10:26 AM
My plan is to put them in a family room/ living room. I also looked at the Definitive Tech small surrounds?

Big room? Small room? Symmetrical? Odd shaped? High ceiling? Intended use? Consider on-wall alternatives? Budget?

ericl
09-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi Eric C

I can tell you after my trip to CEDIA that your choices for inwall speakers are ever greater. It seems every brand from low to high -end is getting to in walls. Martin Logan, Thiel, PSB, RBH are all getting into them in big way. It just depends on your budget, your room, and the type of sound you are looking for (probably your wife too).

jfish
09-27-2004, 10:59 AM
cant forget the wife factor, i'm in the market for surrounds and this is her choice...