Surge Protectors Do I Need A New One for HDTV? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protectors Do I Need A New One for HDTV?

hershon
09-20-2004, 09:02 AM
I've been using for the last 4 years or so a surge protector called Isotel 6 that I've plugged in my home theater system, big screen TV & 2 VCR's into with no problem. The plug slots are all generic/not specific, meanng anything can be plugged into any slot. The protector I think cost me about $50 or so. Now that I've bought a new big screen HDTV, would you recommend I buy a new surge protector such as the one the store recommended, a Monster Surge Protector, that says specifically what plug is supposed to go to where (i.e. DVD player, HDTV, VCR, etc.) & has 8 slots as opposed to the 6 my protector had, or is this a waste of money (getting a new protector that's specific) & I should save money and stick to what I have?

Smokey
09-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Now that I've bought a new big screen HDTV, would you recommend I buy a new surge protector such as the one the store recommended, a Monster Surge Protector?

Really, a red light should go off as to why large chain stores such as BB or CC always try to shove Monster products down the consumer's throat any time buying a piece of A/V equipments. So the question as to why they push Monster products so hard is because Monster have quality products, or is it because profit margin is great for both chain store and Monster Co. The way they conduct their business, looks like it is the latter.

After saying that and to put your mind at ease, ConsumerReport did evaluation of Surge protectors back in 2000/2001 and Isobar Surge protector (which you currently use) top the chart and beat out its competitors.

So it is a good assumption that Isobar is better than Monster :)

hershon
09-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks for saving me money. Will surge protectors theoretically last forever or is it a good idea to replace them every few years? Also is nonspecific one- one where you can plug anything into any slot perfectly OK as opposed to one that lists where to plug in the DVD, TV , etc?

=y
Really, a red light should go off as to why large chain stores such as BB or CC always try to shove Monster products down the consumer's throat any time buying a piece of A/V equipments. So the question as to why they push Monster products so hard is because Monster have quality products, or is it because profit margin is great for both chain store and Monster Co. The way they conduct their business, looks like it is the latter.

After saying that and to put your mind at ease, ConsumerReport did evaluation of Surge protectors back in 2000/2001 and Isobar Surge protector (which you currently use) top the chart and beat out its competitors.

So it is a good assumption that Isobar is better than Monster :)

kpzbee
09-21-2004, 03:10 AM
I've been told by electronic guys that they do wear out over time. As they get hit with spikes over time, the capacitors wear out & loose there ability to surpress the surge.

hershon
09-21-2004, 03:21 AM
Good to see we're both insomniacs, LOL. My current surge protector is about 4 years old. Would you recommend I replace it for another one (that's more specific in regards to what gets plugged into what, i.e., DVD player, etc., or give my current one another few years?
What would you do?

at about $50
I've been told by electronic guys that they do wear out over time. As they get hit with spikes over time, the capacitors wear out & loose there ability to surpress the surge.

Smokey
09-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Will surge protectors theoretically last forever or is it a good idea to replace them every few years?

Does your surge protector have coax cable protection also? If not, that might be a good excuse to buy a new surge protector :)

Surge protector do age (like everything else in life) due to corrosion, toleration, ability to absorb spikes, etc. If it make you feel better, go head and buy a new one and put the old one in your less critical components-such as in your bedroom or computer.

As far as labelled input for each components, it really shouldn't matter that much. After all, they are all going to same AC plug output.