Soundex closing for good [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Soundex closing for good

Hyfi
09-20-2004, 05:31 AM
Soundex of Willow Grove PA is closing on September 30th for good. Sad to see a good store go. Now where am I going to get the chance to listen to such great systems including Grand Utopias, Grand Slams, Evidence, along with all the electronics that nobody els carries.

Justlisten2
09-20-2004, 05:55 AM
.....in Bensalem. The guy that runs the store told me of Soundex's demise (no surprise really). He also told me many manufacturerers that Soundex represented were trying to get him to carry their brands. I think Soundex was just too big for the area. A store that big filling such a small niche, needs to be in a major city, IMHO. Here is a link:

http://show.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/shm.pl?0&1&cont&Questforsound&home&&&

Hope all is well Brian.

Cheers,
John ;)

09-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Soundex of Willow Grove PA is closing on September 30th for good. Sad to see a good store go. Now where am I going to get the chance to listen to such great systems including Grand Utopias, Grand Slams, Evidence, along with all the electronics that nobody els carries.

Simple! at your own house when you buy it all in the liquidation sale!

Hyfi
09-20-2004, 11:43 AM
.....in Bensalem. The guy that runs the store told me of Soundex's demise (no surprise really). He also told me many manufacturerers that Soundex represented were trying to get him to carry their brands. I think Soundex was just too big for the area. A store that big filling such a small niche, needs to be in a major city, IMHO. Here is a link:

http://show.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/shm.pl?0&1&cont&Questforsound&home&&&

Hope all is well Brian.

Cheers,
John ;)

Hey John, doing good for being out of work for over a year. You caught me at a real bad time a few months back....can't even remember when it was. Did your bud ever buy a Stratos? I'm starting back to school to finish a degree...did half of it already, 9 months more to go starting Oct 6.

How is all at your place? I'm not familiar with the place in Bensalem but am sure to check it out. The next closest Dynaudio dealer is hundreds of miles away. The owner of Soundex wants to retire but can make a killing leasing out the building as he owns it outright. Audiogon, Ebay, and internet in general killed them also. I just hope all the schmucks that buy speakers online without listening to them hate what they buy. I lost your email addy again so shoot me one when you get a chance. I had lost all my contacts and email back when you tried to get in touch with me when my hard drive failed.

Brian

Justlisten2
09-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Hey John, doing good for being out of work for over a year. You caught me at a real bad time a few months back....can't even remember when it was. Did your bud ever buy a Stratos? I'm starting back to school to finish a degree...did half of it already, 9 months more to go starting Oct 6.

How is all at your place? I'm not familiar with the place in Bensalem but am sure to check it out. The next closest Dynaudio dealer is hundreds of miles away. The owner of Soundex wants to retire but can make a killing leasing out the building as he owns it outright. Audiogon, Ebay, and internet in general killed them also. I just hope all the schmucks that buy speakers online without listening to them hate what they buy. I lost your email addy again so shoot me one when you get a chance. I had lost all my contacts and email back when you tried to get in touch with me when my hard drive failed.

Brian

I know how that is, my computer is currently in the shop now with a wiped out hard drive. Sorry to hear that you're out of work, but at least you're making good use of the time off. What will your degree be in?

My friend did buy a Stratos, but I believe he's looking to sell it now. He goes through equipment like mad. He's the type that will call me, tell me he just bought the best sounding preamp/ amp/ cd player or whatever, and 6 months later it's gone. Going over his house is like going to a audio salon. Last time I was there we played 2 cd players (Cary/ Consonace), 2 pair of speakers (Von Schweikert/ Silverline), 1 preamp (Sonic Frontiers), 2 amps (Stratos/ Sonic Frontiers tubed monoblocks) and a tube integrated that I can't remember the name of. Oh, yeah, we also listened to 2 different phono preamps (McCormack/ Consonance).

He is the one who let me know of Quest For Sound. He has bought a few items there. He has tickets for a manufacturer demo this Sunday, and invited me. I can't remember all the reps going to be there, but I know Von Schweikert is one of them. I really liked the sound of his VR-2's.

All's well at my house, the boys are getting big and ugly, so I know they're mine. The oldest is now 20 and doing well at Drexel. The second one is in his senior year of high school, and the baby is in 8th grade.

I can't complain too loudly about AudiogoN or Ebay, as I've bought quite a few items there. I stopped going to Soundex when they stopped selling used items. I like buying used, as it helps me live with my champaign taste on my beer budget. ;) I do buy some things new, but most of my system is used stuff. I did buy a VPI tonearm from Soundex a couple years ago (static demo), but most of the stuff I used to buy there was used.
I just thought they got too high end with the fancy showrooms. Competing with Sound By Singer, status wise, but Willow Grove isn't New York City. Soundex could probably have suvived in Philadelphia, or if they had stayed smaller, IMHO.

Gotta run, take care. I'll try to shoot you a call sometime, if I get the time.

Cheers,
John :)

Hyfi
09-22-2004, 10:12 AM
I know how that is, my computer is currently in the shop now with a wiped out hard drive. Sorry to hear that you're out of work, but at least you're making good use of the time off. What will your degree be in?

My friend did buy a Stratos, but I believe he's looking to sell it now. He goes through equipment like mad. He's the type that will call me, tell me he just bought the best sounding preamp/ amp/ cd player or whatever, and 6 months later it's gone. Going over his house is like going to a audio salon. Last time I was there we played 2 cd players (Cary/ Consonace), 2 pair of speakers (Von Schweikert/ Silverline), 1 preamp (Sonic Frontiers), 2 amps (Stratos/ Sonic Frontiers tubed monoblocks) and a tube integrated that I can't remember the name of. Oh, yeah, we also listened to 2 different phono preamps (McCormack/ Consonance).

He is the one who let me know of Quest For Sound. He has bought a few items there. He has tickets for a manufacturer demo this Sunday, and invited me. I can't remember all the reps going to be there, but I know Von Schweikert is one of them. I really liked the sound of his VR-2's.

All's well at my house, the boys are getting big and ugly, so I know they're mine. The oldest is now 20 and doing well at Drexel. The second one is in his senior year of high school, and the baby is in 8th grade.

I can't complain too loudly about AudiogoN or Ebay, as I've bought quite a few items there. I stopped going to Soundex when they stopped selling used items. I like buying used, as it helps me live with my champaign taste on my beer budget. ;) I do buy some things new, but most of my system is used stuff. I did buy a VPI tonearm from Soundex a couple years ago (static demo), but most of the stuff I used to buy there was used.
I just thought they got too high end with the fancy showrooms. Competing with Sound By Singer, status wise, but Willow Grove isn't New York City. Soundex could probably have suvived in Philadelphia, or if they had stayed smaller, IMHO.

Gotta run, take care. I'll try to shoot you a call sometime, if I get the time.

Cheers,
John :)

Glad all is well with your family. Bummer on the computer problem. As it turns out, I am going to school for computers and networking. I am already certified to fix PCs. Keep me in mind for your future computer needs.

Brian