Question about receiver settings memory [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about receiver settings memory

donbryce
12-09-2003, 10:24 AM
(Post #2) I've al but given up trying to find a good 'add-on' decoder/surround processor that will work with my existing receiver. I have an old Kenwood unit that loses it's rear/front level and all other settings whenever it's turned off. This drawback, lack of memory, seems common to many older add-on units. Is this common in a low dollar, surround receiver as well? Very frustrating, and I refuse to buy anything that needs to be reset every time you use it.

Keith from Canada
12-09-2003, 10:32 AM
I have never heard of this problem with any introductory receiver. You set it up, calibrate it and forget about it. Other than re-calibrating every 6 months or so, you shouldn't need to bother setting it up again.

donbryce
12-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks Keith. That's encouraging. What about the 'add-on' units that are supposed to work with an existing receiver. These typically decode and provide rear and center channels, some with a sub-out as well. Any recommendations, or would I be just as far ahead to spend a bit more on a home theater receiver, turfing my existing stereo unit (a Pioneer SA 1310 BTW)?