Wanted!!! Swap LP's??!!?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wanted!!! Swap LP's??!!??

thepogue
09-19-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm looking to thin out my LP's of doubles....for the most part I have on hand R&R for the 60's on with a slant on the 80's. I'd like to find a hand full of vinyl nuts to swap LP's maybe 5 or 10 at a time every so often. I live in the Tidewater VA area and would drive within reason. I'm not looking for "mint" LP's but moreover what I've got on hand, which is good to very good condition with a handfull in "fair". email me @ thepogue@yahoo.com and we'll work out the details. I'd like to do this on a regular basis as I'm alway buying doubles (because I find them at bargin prices) or find something I've already got but it's in better shape. I think the 4 copies of Boston's first album was my first clue :) so what do you guys think? Let em know!!! Thanks, Pogue

tdst
09-26-2004, 01:27 AM
I'm looking to thin out my LP's of doubles....for the most part I have on hand R&R for the 60's on with a slant on the 80's. I'd like to find a hand full of vinyl nuts to swap LP's maybe 5 or 10 at a time every so often. I live in the Tidewater VA area and would drive within reason. I'm not looking for "mint" LP's but moreover what I've got on hand, which is good to very good condition with a handfull in "fair". email me @ thepogue@yahoo.com and we'll work out the details. I'd like to do this on a regular basis as I'm alway buying doubles (because I find them at bargin prices) or find something I've already got but it's in better shape. I think the 4 copies of Boston's first album was my first clue :) so what do you guys think? Let em know!!! Thanks, Pogue

Pogue,
Why would anyone want even one copy of Boston?!? Just kidding...but I wonder if I'm one of the few left in the world (I hope you are) that think vinyl sounds better than CD's? I'm no audiophile, but I hear things on my old records that I just don't hear on CD's.

DMK
09-26-2004, 05:44 AM
Pogue,
but I wonder if I'm one of the few left in the world (I hope you are) that think vinyl sounds better than CD's? .

The number of people that prefer vinyl to CD's is bigger than you think and growing constantly. More and more, discriminating listeners are finding that redbook CD was either a bill of goods to get us to repurchase our collections again or simply a stepping stone to SACD and multichannel. Sometimes you have to take a step backwards to go forward. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. On the other hand, CD's have some things going for them such as convenience, durability (at least as far as breakage. We still don't know if the data on a CD will outlive the grooves in an LP), portability and measurements. Sonically, they usually leave a lot to be desired, unlike the LP which delivers the sonic and musical goods more often. That's an opinion, of course, and the point of my post is to say that this opinion is becoming more and more widespread. It's been decades since I've seen the sale of turntables this strong. Even the chains are carrying them again.

thepogue
09-27-2004, 08:31 AM
it's an "age " thing I'm sure! Back "in the day" living in and around the city of Boston...that LP was in fact a HUGH hit...(and from national sales not just in New England) so I gulity as can be...(but four times over was kinda excessive ;)

as far as sound I'm not going to get into all that...some LP's do sound better...on the flip side some CD's sound top notch so all depends on the source player and system as well as the recording itself....ok 'nuff small talk...let's trade LP's...lol

Peace, Pogue