Why the difference [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why the difference

Dale M
09-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Im curious as to why when I watch a movie that says its broadcast in 5.1 that all the icons for the speakers arent on? When I watch a DVD that says it.51 all icons are on?
On tv broadcasts the Digital light does not come on, it goes to prologic, but when watching a DVD it goes to digital . I have put some picture on here, the first 2 show what happens when watching a tv movie and the second when a DVD is on,,, I thought 5.1 was 5.1 on either.. I have digital tv if that helps.
Thanks
Dale M

N. Abstentia
09-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Sounds like you don't have a digital connection going from your cable box/dish to your a/v receiver. But you DO have it from your DVD player which is why it works with your DVD player.

Dale M
09-19-2004, 02:20 PM
When Im watching the tv I do get sound thro all the speakers, the sub included its just the lights arent on the receiver saying its 5.1,,.when I ran the cable from the house I had to put a splitter on the line in order for the PIP to work, the 1 end I ran direct into the tv, the other to the digital box, from the digital box I used an s-video into the tv , also from the digital box I used the red and white coax and plugged them into the reciever,, the reciever is an hk 225, and the only time I get sound from the receiver in tv mode is when I set the input to analog,,, not sure if that is all hooked up right,, the DVD I have used component video going directly to the dvd and used an optical cord from the dvd to the receiver,, there isnt an optical out from the digital box
Thanks
Dale M

brulaha
09-19-2004, 02:25 PM
from the digital box I used the red and white coax and plugged them into the reciever,, Dale M

Mr. Abstentia is correct. The red and white connection are analog. Does your cable box have an optical or digital coax output. If not, you will not get 5.1 from your TV.

Dale M
09-19-2004, 02:55 PM
All I see on the back of the cable box is coax plugs , the red and white and yellow plugs and the s-video plug,, I just looked in the setup guide for the cable box and under the audio menu it had an option of dolby digital on and off, it was set to off, tryed putting it to on but then I dont get anything at all,, So does that mean as long as I have this digital cable box Im stuck?
Thanks
Dale M

Dale M
09-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi Again
I just called Shaw cable and he said on the back of the cable box there is an orange plug with the name spdif and he said to use that and plug it into a coax in on the receiver with the red and white plugs and then turn dolby digital to on and guess what,, it works:) the lights come on saying the tv show is in 5.1,, Im happy
Thank-you very much guys
Dale M