Put deposit on Misubishi 48" WS48315 HDTV Comments good & Bad [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Put deposit on Misubishi 48" WS48315 HDTV Comments good & Bad

hershon
09-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Well I just put down a refundable deposit for a 48" widescreen HDTV (Ready) at an excellent store that specializes in Big Screen & HDTV's called Ken Cranes in Sherman Oaks (Los Angeles). The store actually has salesman who know their product and technology not like the retards at Best Buy and Circuit City, etc. My salesman who knew his stuff top to bottom was actually impressed with terms I've picked up on this forum such as the Rainbow Effect.

Too make a long story short, I put down a (refundable) deposit on the set he recommended for my price range and needs, a Mitsubishi 48" HDTV Ready set model number WS48315. I fell in love with the picture and design and the widescreen didn't seem to have super weird dimensions for me. The set is $1598 on sale and that includes free delivery into my apartment and installation. Here is a link for it, so if anyone has any pros or cons, please feel free to post. www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=mtws48315 (http://) [/URL] Please insert this link yourself in your URL address bar as for some reason while the URL is correct it doesn't seem to work here if you click on.

The salesman also said, I need to get component cables for this as the HDTV cables the Cable company provides is inferior and he had 3 types he recommended I think from Monster XCalled Component Video 2 or 3 for I think $84, Video 3 for $108 and Monster THX for $135 which I'm leaning to get. Does this sound about right and is Monster THX the best investment?

He recommended that for $300 I can get a 5 year warranty from them which includes all parts, home service, everything direct from them after my 1 year warranty with Mitsubisi expires (in other words its 4 additional years direct from them). They said under this, if there were significant or repeatable problems, they would replace the unit with the latest version. I'm opting to doing this. Does this sound like a good idea/

Also do I need to get a new power surge unit. My unit is called Isotel 6 & he had a Monster Surge Protector for about $48?

Anyway, please let me know any thoughts- good or bad, thanks.

brulaha
09-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Well I just put down a refundable deposit for a 48" widescreen HDTV (Ready) at an excellent store that specializes in Big Screen & HDTV's called Ken Cranes in Sherman Oaks (Los Angeles). The store actually has salesman who know their product and technology not like the retards at Best Buy and Circuit City, etc. My salesman who knew his stuff top to bottom was actually impressed with terms I've picked up on this forum such as the Rainbow Effect.

Too make a long story short, I put down a (refundable) deposit on the set he recommended for my price range and needs, a Mitsubishi 48" HDTV Ready set model number WS48315. I fell in love with the picture and design and the widescreen didn't seem to have super weird dimensions for me. The set is $1598 on sale and that includes free delivery into my apartment and installation. Here is a link for it, so if anyone has any pros or cons, please feel free to post.http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=mtws48315 (http://)

The salesman also said, I need to get component cables for this as the HDTV cables the Cable company provides is inferior and he had 3 types he recommended I think from Monster XCalled Component Video 2 or 3 for I think $84, Video 3 for $108 and Monster THX for $135 which I'm leaning to get. Does this sound about right and is Monster THX the best investment?

He recommended that for $300 I can get a 5 year warranty from them which includes all parts, home service, everything direct from them after my 1 year warranty with Mitsubisi expires (in other words its 4 additional years direct from them). They said under this, if there were significant or repeatable problems, they would replace the unit with the latest version. I'm opting to doing this. Does this sound like a good idea/

Also do I need to get a new power surge unit. My unit is called Isotel 6 & he had a Monster Surge Protector for about $48?

Anyway, please let me know any thoughts- good or bad, thanks.

You've made a wise purchase

1) buy the cheapest Component cables you can find. Recton will probably run about $30 for 2 meters

2) the extended warranty is a good idea

3) a new surge protector is probably not necessary. How much did you spend on yoru current one?

hershon
09-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Well that's one plus, thanks. I got the surge protector about 4 years ago for about $30 I'm guessing. I'm going to research your cables. Thanks for your input
You've made a wise purchase

1) buy the cheapest Component cables you can find. Recton will probably run about $30 for 2 meters

2) the extended warranty is a good idea

3) a new surge protector is probably not necessary. How much did you spend on yoru current one?

N. Abstentia
09-18-2004, 07:51 PM
I was believing you about the salesman being knowledgeable until you said he recommended Monster Cables :(

hershon
09-18-2004, 07:59 PM
I was believing you about the salesman being knowledgeable until you said he recommended Monster Cables :(

Well one weird thing, you might know this, I'm going to give him a call on Tuesday when he's in, is maybe I got the part name wrong or something- not Monster but the other stuff, because when I looked up THX HDTV Monster Cables on Ebay they were like $28 or so before shipping, brand new, on a Buy it Now option which seems way substantially lower than the $135 the store was charging. Maybe I misconstrued something because that is a huge difference.

Pricewise, I found out I could get the same model for as low as $1200 or so online but shipping is another $200 or so and they don't bring the unit into your apartment and install
so I'm OK with the $1600 price which includes delivery and installation as it seems to be competitive & is accessable to me. I didn't see a cheaper price at any of the chain stores though I did see for $400 less something called Mitsubishi WS48313, which is only a digit different from my WS48315, whatever that means.

Do you think I should get a new surge protector as mine is 4 years old. I looked Isotel 6 on the internet and it does seem to be a pretty good protector & I guess cost me over $50 not $30 like I thought. In fairness to the salesman, he did not know what surge protector I had.

replay11
09-19-2004, 07:54 AM
don't buy any of the monster connects.... they r a total ripoff...... circuit city salesman swear by them but notice all of the tv's in the store r connected with cheap generic cables :confused: forget the new surge protector too, u already have one...right!
As far as the xtended warranty.... that is tv insurance that only "u" have to decide to buy or not to buy, the money is usually pure profit for the store,having said that its sure nice to have that xtra warranty if u need it 2 yrs down the road.... its a 400 dollar decision
i just bought a bigscreen tv (i didn't opt for it)

hershon
09-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Just out of paranoia, I'm probably going to opt for the 4 year extended warranty, as its actually $300 not $400 insurance!

In regards to cables for it, this is where I'm confused. I'm assuming that you are going to use a cable companies HDTV setup. Are you going to use the cable companies cables or buy them, if so which ones?

While I generally agree with you about Monster in general except for the THX series, the Ultra series sucks, if in fact I can get new THX cables on Ebay for $25 or so plus shipping, I'm definaately going with that.
don't buy any of the monster connects.... they r a total ripoff...... circuit city salesman swear by them but notice all of the tv's in the store r connected with cheap generic cables :confused: forget the new surge protector too, u already have one...right!
As far as the xtended warranty.... that is tv insurance that only "u" have to decide to buy or not to buy, the money is usually pure profit for the store,having said that its sure nice to have that xtra warranty if u need it 2 yrs down the road.... its a 400 dollar decision
i just bought a bigscreen tv (i didn't opt for it)

N. Abstentia
09-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Why in the world would you want to get THX cables?? You pay $10 for the cables, the rest is to cover the THX sticker on box.

hershon
09-19-2004, 10:28 AM
They give me a false sense of security!

Why in the world would you want to get THX cables?? You pay $10 for the cables, the rest is to cover the THX sticker on box.

recoveryone
09-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Just be happy

wasch_24
09-20-2004, 06:25 AM
Good choice hershon...

I went with the warranty when I bought, so if you can swing the dough get it.

The widescreen isn't as bad as you thought, huh?

I usually buy Acoustic Research cables at BestBuy. They are good and thick and not as pricey. The E-bay route seems like a good idea though.

If you like the TV at the store just wait until you get it home and calibrate it with DVE or Avia. It will look much better.

Again, great choice.

hershon
09-20-2004, 06:35 AM
Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, I basically came to accept that HTD big screens are almost entirely widescreen and when in Rome. For some reason this particular set's widescreen didn't seem as disproportional as some of the others I've seen.

In regards to Cables, maybe you can save me a call on this as I can't read my own handwriting. Are these the HDTV cables related to the equipment the cable company gives you to watch HDTV and if so what are the cables called- Component Video Cables? I'll check out Acoustic Research cables as well.

Good choice hershon...

I went with the warranty when I bought, so if you can swing the dough get it.

The widescreen isn't as bad as you thought, huh?

I usually buy Acoustic Research cables at BestBuy. They are good and thick and not as pricey. The E-bay route seems like a good idea though.

If you like the TV at the store just wait until you get it home and calibrate it with DVE or Avia. It will look much better.

Again, great choice.

wasch_24
09-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, I basically came to accept that HTD big screens are almost entirely widescreen and when in Rome. For some reason this particular set's widescreen didn't seem as disproportional as some of the others I've seen.

In regards to Cables, maybe you can save me a call on this as I can't read my own handwriting. Are these the HDTV cables related to the equipment the cable company gives you to watch HDTV and if so what are the cables called- Component Video Cables? I'll check out Acoustic Research cables as well.
Yes, the incoming signal will come into your house via the same type of cable that your regular cable TV comes in on. Then the cable box un-encrypts and possibly uncompresses it and these Component cables, red, blue, and green, connect to your TV and deliver the glorious HDTV. With that TV you could also connect via a DVI cable if the cable box supports it. This is kind of like a computer monitor cable. It's a lot more expensive. They say it provides a better picture but I don't know if it is worth it because I have never seen one used.

eqm
09-20-2004, 01:52 PM
The Mits 313 series won't have the HD tuner, the NetCommand, or the Digital Card reader. For that small difference in price, having those things certainly couldn't hurt. As far as their warranty goes, IF it includes free convergence (not the kind that you can do from the remote) and lens cleanings, it's a little on the high side, but might be worth it. If it includes neither of these, put $200 aside and earn interest on it.

hope this helps!