Cabling Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cabling Question

bwgreen
09-18-2004, 09:38 AM
I have a need to connect a DVD player to an older TV, but I have hit a problem - the DVD is stereo, while the TV only has a mono input jack. I know that I can get a Y cable to combine the signals, but I don't think this is the right thing to do - does anyone know what I can do to make this connection? I am not looking for an ultra-high end solution - this is for my wife's room while she is away at school.

uncooked
09-18-2004, 03:57 PM
using a Y adapter to combine the signals works ok. i think its better then just running oen channel in anyways.

ive done it a couple of times and it sounds ok, its not distorted or anything.

Tony_Montana
09-19-2004, 02:19 PM
using a Y adapter to combine the signals works ok.

That might not be a good idea. Since signal from outputs are not the same (different phase, amplitude, etc..), then by combining them might cause distortion...not to mention the fact that both outputs are shorted together [electrically] if "Y" cable is connected cross them. So it is no win win situation.

The only solution for poster might be to route the DVD audio/video output thru a VCR, and then take the coax output of VCR (CH. 3) and connect it to TV. But some VCR will distort the picture if a DVD is routed thru them due to anti copy coded of DVDs.

uncooked
09-19-2004, 02:32 PM
i dont know, ive never done the Y adapter thing on any of my gear. but my friend had a old stereo amp but only one speaker, so we ran the dvd stereo outs into the right channel and put the amp on mono. The Y adapter thing worked great. i was a little worried about it myself but he was the one going "it will be fine lets just try it" its not my stuff so we did it and it works great. and it even gets partial stereo imaging from only the one side. "its a HUGE speaker though"

i wouldnt do this on high ened gear, but then most high end gear is all stereo or more. but with little systems you cant hurt em.