Help! All Rave Recs Computer Geeks! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help! All Rave Recs Computer Geeks!

Swish
09-18-2004, 07:09 AM
So it appears the USB ports on my motherboard are completely destroyed, although I have no idea what happened. My mouse, scanner, color printer, laser printer, and uploads from my digital camera are rendered useless at this point, although I can run some things off the serial port if I really get desperate. I've been using a USB hub since there are only two ports on the motherboard, and I thought that the problem may be the hub. Off to Staples for another hub but it didn't work either, and when I tried other connections directly to the port with no luck, although my mouse was already connected to one of them initially when I noticed the problem, so no surprise there.

Anyway, I'm using a PS2 mouse to keep my PC going, and I purchased a USB 2.0 PCI card and followed the instructions to the letter. Siince I have XP Pro with Service Pack 2 installed, the computer guy (this is a specialty shop, not a chain store) assured me it was plug and play and the drivers were present. Anyway, I shut down, disconnected the power cord and made sure I was grounded with no static electricity present before installing the card into one of the 3 open slots. However, when I powered up my monitor screen was a scrambled mess and so I had to press the reset button to shut it down again. I removed the card, restarted and all was fine, albeit with out the USB card. I shut down again following the same process as before but using another PCI slot, but got the same result when I rebooted. I tried the third slot and got the same result, so back to the computer guy and he installed it in an open case he has for such problems and he had no problems with it. He suggested I try a different one so I did, but the same problem continues to plague me.

I'm hoping someone out there has a suggestion, beyond relacing my motherboard, that would be useful/helpful? If you do and it works, a "special reward" awaits you!

"Down on his luck" Swish

Finch Platte
09-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Sue ih side.

fp

Hyfi
09-18-2004, 07:32 AM
First check your Device Manager for little yellow ? or !. If nothing looks like it has a problem, swap one of your other PCI boards into the one you think you are having trouble with. If all works fine, your MotherBoard BIOS only supports USB 1 and not USB2. Start your PC and coose DEL or F1 or whatever it says on the screen for Setup. Look at the top of the page and it will tell you who makes your BIOS and what version it is. Go to thier website and follow instructions to upgrade your BIOS. It also seems odd that it would mess with the video but PCs are funny animals. You may also need to install the manufactures Drivers before putting the card in. Also check Microsofts HCL list for cards it supports signed drivers for to see if your card is on the list, if it is not, get one that is.

Hope something here helps. I'll check in for feedback.

Swish
09-18-2004, 07:42 AM
First check your Device Manager for little yellow ? or !. If nothing looks like it has a problem, swap one of your other PCI boards into the one you think you are having trouble with. If all works fine, your MotherBoard BIOS only supports USB 1 and not USB2. Start your PC and coose DEL or F1 or whatever it says on the screen for Setup. Look at the top of the page and it will tell you who makes your BIOS and what version it is. Go to thier website and follow instructions to upgrade your BIOS. It also seems odd that it would mess with the video but PCs are funny animals. You may also need to install the manufactures Drivers before putting the card in. Also check Microsofts HCL list for cards it supports signed drivers for to see if your card is on the list, if it is not, get one that is.

Hope something here helps. I'll check in for feedback.
before I came back here. I was on the phone with a good friend who is a tech wizard and told him the story, but before he could offer any sage advice, I had already reinstalled the card in another slot, the second attempt today, and voila! It worked! Yeah, I shouldn't be surprised, but the way things have been going for me lately, I certainly didn't expect success. I was actually coming back to delete my post but, since you were kind enough to offer suggestions, I wanted to let you know I got it working and all is well.

Thanks again!

Swish, happy again, at least somewhat.

Dusty Chalk
09-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Sue ih side.Nah, don't take it out on yourself, take it out on the machine -- compucide! (You can always buy another one, but you can't replace yourself.)

Worf101
09-18-2004, 03:49 PM
I just built and rebuilt two rigs from scratch and know first hand some of the frustrations that HC's can bring. But as bad as it is now... it was a whole lot worse 10 years ago.

Da Worfster :D

jack70
09-18-2004, 10:05 PM
I can't offer anything of much value here beyond what Brian said. But I find it curious I was JUST reading this article (www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040916.html) before I surfed over here. It's about USB's, although on a different level (corporate, not techy so much). Still, thought it was funny: back-to-back USB topics. PS: the article is good, but more for geek types. (you all know who you are).

Hyfi
09-19-2004, 02:18 PM
I can't offer anything of much value here beyond what Brian said. But I find it curious I was JUST reading this article (www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040916.html) before I surfed over here. It's about USB's, although on a different level (corporate, not techy so much). Still, thought it was funny: back-to-back USB topics. PS: the article is good, but more for geek types. (you all know who you are).

Instead of using glue and ruining components, other choices would be to dissable the USB ports in the BIOS and then just use Local Policy or for a domain, a Group Policy Object(GPO) that does not allow users to be able to turn off or reboot the PC. Doing this will stop them from getting to the BIOS setup and turning them back on. Good little read tho.....This is another reason XP-Pro or W2k Pro are great client OS's, PCs can be locked down as to only allow the user exactly what the job requires and nothing more. There is so much lost production due to workstation mis-use.

Hyfi
09-20-2004, 05:16 AM
before I came back here. I was on the phone with a good friend who is a tech wizard and told him the story, but before he could offer any sage advice, I had already reinstalled the card in another slot, the second attempt today, and voila! It worked! Yeah, I shouldn't be surprised, but the way things have been going for me lately, I certainly didn't expect success. I was actually coming back to delete my post but, since you were kind enough to offer suggestions, I wanted to let you know I got it working and all is well.

Thanks again!

Swish, happy again, at least somewhat.

Sounds like a PNP interupt conflict that Windows caught after a few tries. Glad your back on track.

Hey, the next time you come down to the Keswick, let me know. Carolyn and I would like to extend an invite to indulge in whatever the Micro of the week is before you head to the show. We live about 12 minutes from the Willow Grove exit and under 25 to the Keswick at almost a straight drive.

Brian