Wharfedale help!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wharfedale help!!!!

jodo2kast
09-17-2004, 09:42 PM
So got the DLP TV, got the Denon receiver coming. Now the speaker package. Am really interested in the Rocket series from AV123. Look nice and hear they sound nice. The budget is a bit tight.

Then i saw these Wharfedale Crystal speakers. Help me out here are these jsut crap? I put this package together....

Wharfedale Crystal 40 Floorstanding (front)
Wharfedale Crystal 30 Floorstanding (rear)
Wharfedale Crystal Center (center)
Wharfedale Wh-2 Bi-polar (extar rear)

Whole thing is about 500 dollars brand new. That seems way to cheap. I can find no reviews on the crystal speakers os what is the deal? I know lots of people can suggest different or better speakers, but i really would liek to hear what is wrong with this package for that price???

Thanks ;)

RGA
09-17-2004, 10:08 PM
I've seen nothing on these - but given that Quad runs Wharfedale and seeing what they did with the Diamond Series these might be quite good. Does not look like the will play overly loud and not the easiest of speakers to drive - but hey sound quality is most important. You tell us.

kexodusc
09-18-2004, 04:38 AM
I love my Wharedale Emeralds....I've always been impressed with their speakers. They don't do anything great, but they do most things well...Without hearing these, I can't really say much, but I'm with RGA...Wharfedale generally knows what they're doing. Let us know.

jodo2kast
09-18-2004, 12:22 PM
I have seen lots of positive reviews for other Wharfedale, i am just finding it odd i can't find anything on the Crystal series at all? Given their track record it might be worth the risk. Just seems so cheap for an entire 7 speaker set (i have seen a few reviews of the bi-polar and they seemed positive)

Anyone seen anything on these at all??

Thanks

RGA
09-18-2004, 01:22 PM
They may be a very new line - night want to see the nxt issue of What-Hi Fi - ther emay be a review. OR ask the folks on the British forum http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/index.php

AVMASTER
09-18-2004, 02:56 PM
i'm a Wharfdale retailer and owner ( Pacific evo 30s ) and i have not heard or recieved any info on the model you're refering to. Wharfdale is reasonably priced but $500. for it all seems totally wrong. I am familiar with the WH-2 bi-polar surrounds and my only response, is don't expect too much from . A safer bet maybe the new Diamond 9 series.
Where did you see/hear the Crystal models?

RGA
09-18-2004, 04:50 PM
I would not judge em until you hear them. Most likely the speaker is made in the far east - and it is surprising how good a speaker you can come up with when you pay 12 year old girls $0.12 an hour. :D

It's on their web-site http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/crystal.htm

AVMASTER
09-22-2004, 05:36 AM
I would not judge em until you hear them. Most likely the speaker is made in the far east - and it is surprising how good a speaker you can come up with when you pay 12 year old girls $0.12 an hour. :D

It's on their web-site http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/crystal.htm

using child labor and good quality parts are two different things however i have heard the tiny little surrounds ( WH-2 ) and thats what my comment was about. As far as getting the speakers in the US is concerned- theres' only one legal distributor i'm aware of and the Wharfdale Crystal model is not currently available

jodo2kast
09-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Yeah the WH-2 are small, but are solid and look nice. Sound quality is ... decent. They will just be the second rear in the 7.1 though. For 60 bucks from ecost shipped how can ya go wrong!

I saw the crystal series on-line somewhere (only have seen them at like one store too (besides UK stores)

Still hoping someone has listened to them...

jfish
09-27-2004, 10:44 AM
what about the opus series, they look cool...how do they sound and price out?
ballpark?

cjtalbot
10-29-2004, 05:33 AM
Here's a link of a place in PA that carrys the Crystals.

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/tsto.storefront

sryu
10-31-2004, 10:21 PM
Talked to a salesman @ TSTO, and I am told the crystals sound very close to wharfedale Diamond 7.2.... Have not heard the diamond 7 series. How does diamond 7.2 sound, and how does it compare to diamond 8 series?