Beginner advice needed on a/v connection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Beginner advice needed on a/v connection

chicoaudio
09-17-2004, 07:27 PM
I am setting up my first surround sound system and I was wondering what offers better sound quality, the digital coaxial or the digital optical connection? Another question is when I hook up my subwoofer should I run the standard subwoofer cable or I have heard that you can actually run speaker wire with the right fittings, which provides no loss in terms of quality of sound. Is this true?

cam
09-17-2004, 07:46 PM
I am setting up my first surround sound system and I was wondering what offers better sound quality, the digital coaxial or the digital optical connection? Another question is when I hook up my subwoofer should I run the standard subwoofer cable or I have heard that you can actually run speaker wire with the right fittings, which provides no loss in terms of quality of sound. Is this true?
There is no difference between coaxial or optical. The difference is that an optical has a flimsy connector and a coaxial has a firm one. Also the coaxial maybe prone to picking up interference where the optical will not. As to your sub, low level to me is the best, low level out of your receiver to your sub and let your receiver do the bass management. Otherwise you will run speaker wire, front left and right out of your receiver to your sub and then out of your sub to your front left and right. You then have to go into your set-up menu and put mains large and sub no. And then depending on your mains low extension, lets say they are flat to 50 hz, you would then dial your sub to around 60 hz to create a seamless transition.