First contact with a real live RR'er-KEXPMF [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First contact with a real live RR'er-KEXPMF

Jim Clark
09-17-2004, 12:53 PM
It was my distinct pleasure to grab my wife and head out to a local bar and grill and meet KEXPMF and her sister last night. They had planned to then head out to catch the Bodeans but that show got cancelled. Although she's too busy making a success of her life to post much I can tell you that she is a class act all the way through and she's got the dibs on more music than most of us could handle. I appreciate J taking the time to set up long distance introductions as Susan and I had an enjoyable although brief visit.

Confirmed and learned a few tidbits along the way:

KEXP is a Seattle based radio program that very popular among the indier than thou crowd. Or at least the morning show (MF=morning friendly, at least I think it does). I'll check it out someday soon.

J really is an OK kinda guy according to KEXMPF. Actually the praise was a bit more convincing but we don't need to feed any egos.

She and I have a mutual friend who is in the business and apparently was become very successful booking bands and promoting shows. I'd heard she'd struck out to make it and I'm heartened to learn that she has made it happen. Small world.

And a few more tidbits but I don't think she wants it all spread around through the net so I'll call it quits for now!

Hopefully the first of many introductions with others 'round here. Someday perhaps.

Regards,
jc

KEXPMF
09-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Hi Jim! It was absolutely a pleasure to meet you and Susan. Thanks J for the introduction and hopefully someday Jim's family will successfully drag him to NYC so you all can meet too. (since I doubt you'll be visiting Kansas City anytime soon!!)

Jim brought me a GREAT comp cd (incl Trashcan Sinatras, Snow Patrol, Modest Mouse, Mooney Suzuki, Lali Puna) that I'm REALLY loving, and I look forward to trading a few more comps in the future.

KEXP can be heard on www.kexp.org and I HIGHLY recommend it to several of the people who post here (especially those who like indie rock and the kind of music I like, Mike from York and Jar come to mind)

MF stands for "Morning Faithful" and that refers to listeners of one particular KEXP DJ, John Richards, who is on from 6-10am weekdays in Seattle. KEXP has a huge following of on-line listeners in New York City where I live.
This particular DJ is the reason I and a lot of listeners are into this station. So that's why my name is KEXPMF.

That was interesting that Jim and I knew someone in common (in fact, J, she is someone in the music biz with whom our pal Mike is also friendly). Weird small world story!

Yes, J is a great guy who actually does like others for the most part. Sorry to blow your cover J!!

Well I'm off to the Black Keys show tonight!

Jim Clark
09-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Hi Jim! It was absolutely a pleasure to meet you and Susan. Thanks J for the introduction and hopefully someday Jim's family will successfully drag him to NYC so you all can meet too. (since I doubt you'll be visiting Kansas City anytime soon!!)

Jim brought me a GREAT comp cd (incl Trashcan Sinatras, Snow Patrol, Modest Mouse, Mooney Suzuki, Lali Puna) that I'm REALLY loving, and I look forward to trading a few more comps in the future.

KEXP can be heard on www.kexp.org and I HIGHLY recommend it to several of the people who post here (especially those who like indie rock and the kind of music I like, Mike from York and Jar come to mind)

MF stands for "Morning Faithful" and that refers to listeners of one particular KEXP DJ, John Richards, who is on from 6-10am weekdays in Seattle. KEXP has a huge following of on-line listeners in New York City where I live.
This particular DJ is the reason I and a lot of listeners are into this station. So that's why my name is KEXPMF.

That was interesting that Jim and I knew someone in common (in fact, J, she is someone in the music biz with whom our pal Mike is also friendly). Weird small world story!

Yes, J is a great guy who actually does like others for the most part. Sorry to blow your cover J!!

Well I'm off to the Black Keys show tonight!

Well reading the Friday ent. section I see that the Elevator Division is described as a dark pop band so it may be something I'd like. Just don't know though although I will grab the CD when it's official on Tuesday just to see.

Ya know what I did see though: Snow Patrol at the Bottleneck for an early 6:30 show next thursday. Now that may be just the thing for me.

Opps, had a feeling I may have botched the MF but I was in the ballpark so want 1/2 credit.

jc

KEXPMF
09-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Well reading the Friday ent. section I see that the Elevator Division is described as a dark pop band so it may be something I'd like. Just don't know though although I will grab the CD when it's official on Tuesday just to see.

Ya know what I did see though: Snow Patrol at the Bottleneck for an early 6:30 show next thursday. Now that may be just the thing for me.

Opps, had a feeling I may have botched the MF but I was in the ballpark so want 1/2 credit.

jc

Snow Patrol is on the agenda for sure.
check out www.elevatordivision.com to hear some before you buy it. (website mentions Radiohead and U2 as comparisons). Like I said I've never seen them and have only heard what's on the site. But a trusted music friend recommended them to me so I'm going to be checking them out at the Hurricane.

If anyone knows or has heard anything about Elevator Division and they want to share... please do

ForeverAutumn
09-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Can someone fill me in on Snow Patrol? They were in the studio of our local alt. radio station this morning (they're playing a sold-out show here tonight) and I heard them for the first time on my drive to work, singing live. I don't know what the song was called but I liked it!

The DJ was trying to pinpoint them into a genre, but the band said that their music is kind of ecclectic and hard to classify.

I was going to start my own post to ask if anyone was familiar with this band and could tell me more, when lo and behold, they come up in this thread!

What timing! :)

KEXPMF
09-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Can someone fill me in on Snow Patrol? They were in the studio of our local alt. radio station this morning (they're playing a sold-out show here tonight) and I heard them for the first time on my drive to work, singing live. I don't know what the song was called but I liked it!

The DJ was trying to pinpoint them into a genre, but the band said that their music is kind of ecclectic and hard to classify.

I was going to start my own post to ask if anyone was familiar with this band and could tell me more, when lo and behold, they come up in this thread!

Haven't seen them live yet but I LOVE what I've heard so far on cd. KEXP was where I first heard of them. That's what I love about that station. For example, they were playing Modest Mouse YEARS ago.

Finch Platte
09-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Can someone fill me in on Snow Patrol?

Eme, if you know what I mean and I'm sure you do. ;)

fp

Dusty Chalk
09-17-2004, 06:21 PM
I thought it was short for "KEXP, Motherf*cker!"

Sorry.

Hey, even I have heard of KEXP, all the way over here in the DC area, so go figure. Of course, I don't much else about them, other than I've heard those four letters mentioned together. In order.

Okay, so I just wanted to jump in. Jumping out again.

Jim Clark
09-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Can someone fill me in on Snow Patrol?

If your timing had been just a little bit better you'd have asked for my comp which has 2 SP tracks as well as one by the Reindeer Section which is Gordon Lightbody's indie band. Then you would have known how kewl the toons were and had tickets for that sold out show!

tsk tsk.

jc which stands for jest causin' trouble

ForeverAutumn
09-19-2004, 03:26 PM
If your timing had been just a little bit better you'd have asked for my comp which has 2 SP tracks as well as one by the Reindeer Section which is Gordon Lightbody's indie band. Then you would have known how kewl the toons were and had tickets for that sold out show!

tsk tsk.

jc which stands for jest causin' trouble

That's me....always late to the party.

Stone
09-19-2004, 04:08 PM
Sounds like a great meeting, JC. Plus, KEXPMF sounds pretty cool. I like those kinds of meetings, generally. One of these days we'll be in Omaha at the same time, JC, and we'll meet up.

I'm not a big radio listener, but KEXP (the morning show, at least) is damn good. I was given 9 days' worth of morning shows on CDs a while back (in MP3 format*) and it's great. No commercials except for the station itself, and quality music all around.

Stone

* This is another bonus to having a universal player.

Jim Clark
09-20-2004, 05:14 AM
Sounds like a great meeting, JC. Plus, KEXPMF sounds pretty cool. I like those kinds of meetings, generally. One of these days we'll be in Omaha at the same time, JC, and we'll meet up.

I

Stone

Looking forward to that. For the first several years of marriage it seems like we went up there at least once a month. Luckily we don't even come close to that now mainly due to the boy's sports. We will be up for Thanksgiving but since we both have to work on Friday it will be a Wednesday arrival and Thursday depature. If your're going to be there give me a holler.

jc