What is Progressive Scan Would you get rid of Toshiba SD-3205? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is Progressive Scan Would you get rid of Toshiba SD-3205?

hershon
09-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Appologize for my indulgence on this board, I'm going through a possible upgrade of all my TV's, DVD players etc. For my bedroom DVD player I have a Toshiba SD-3205 5 disc player which features Dolby Digital, DTS, HDCD & Spatialer N-2-2 whatever that is, purchased in 2001 & works fine on my regular stereo 27" surround sound TV (I'm not wild about the CD sound though so I don't use it as a second CD player), cost about $250 at the time on sale amd is/was highly rated. This DVD player apparently is not progressive scan whatever that means, though for my purposes with my existing TV I'm happy with it. However, I'm planning to get sometime this month an HDTV ready set. If I do that, is it imperative that I buy a progressive scan DVD player which I can get relatively cheap or can I still get by OK with this existing nonprogressive scan DVD player. In other words will I be missing something if I combine this with an HDTV player and should I definately get a progressive scan to go with an HDTV ready TV set?

Woochifer
09-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Progressive scan matters with HDTV because those can support the 480p signal that comes from a progressive scan DVD player. Progressive scan basically increases the scan rate and makes the picture movement, particular when viewing images with moving backgrounds, seem smoother. Worry about getting the HDTV first. Progressive scan DVD players are inexpensive by comparison.

hershon
09-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks for your help. This is going on Ebay right away! I think you might've answered this on another thread, but in case you didn't or are in a charitable mood, which HDTV Ready set(s) would you recommend that are 26-27" and between $400 -$750 & between 43-52" under $1,500? My main concern is TV picture quality and not having to tweak it. I will be getting tuner and HDTV service from Time Warner Cable. As I'll be using home theater system, sound is irrelevant (I guess). Thanks for your help. If you're ever need help in recommending rock or blues CD's before 1985 just ask.
Progressive scan matters with HDTV because those can support the 480p signal that comes from a progressive scan DVD player. Progressive scan basically increases the scan rate and makes the picture movement, particular when viewing images with moving backgrounds, seem smoother. Worry about getting the HDTV first. Progressive scan DVD players are inexpensive by comparison.