What do I need to know about a DVR? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know about a DVR?

kpzbee
09-17-2004, 02:49 AM
I'm think of getting a digital video recorder since my VCR is dieing. I'm spoiled from watching DVDs on my big screen. Tapes look like heck on it! :D Whats important to know about them? I don't want a TiVo or have to pay a subscription to anything.

Slosh
09-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Well, it depends. If you have cable get a Tivo. I believe they can be used in their "basic" mode without a subscription. If you have Dish or DirecTV you're better off getting a receiver with the DVR onboard because you'll be recording the signal digitally with no loss of picture quality whatsoever and if a program is in DD 5.1, you'll get that too. I'm not sure if any HD DVRs are on the market yet.

I have the Dish Network 508 and have had no problems with it so far (two+ years).

eisforelectronic
09-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Scientific Atlanta, who provides 90% of cable boxes, has a HD DVR. HD recording has a capacity of 20 hrs, SD is up to 120 hrs. 160 Gb hard drive vs. 80 Gb in their regular Explorer 8000.

kpzbee
09-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Well, it depends. If you have cable get a Tivo. I believe they can be used in their "basic" mode without a subscription. If you have Dish or DirecTV you're better off getting a receiver with the DVR onboard because you'll be recording the signal digitally with no loss of picture quality whatsoever and if a program is in DD 5.1, you'll get that too. I'm not sure if any HD DVRs are on the market yet.

I have the Dish Network 508 and have had no problems with it so far (two+ years).

I have cable & don't want to pay for Tivo. The cable costs enough. I was wondering how the difference was beween having a hard drive or not having one. I don't have a cable box at all.

PDL63
10-23-2004, 09:49 AM
kpzbee,

I notice you own a Pioneer DVR-520H. I just bought one and now notice that it emits a rather distracting hum after being on a while. I'm not sure but I think it might have something to do with the fan that cools the hard drive? Anyway, I just wondered if your unit is quiet or if it is emitting any distracting noises, and if so, how you dealt with them. Thanks! PDL

hershon
10-23-2004, 11:47 AM
I can't speak for direct TV but if you have Cable service such as Time Warner, you can't just hook up a DVR to your cable/system, they charge $10 for DVR service whether you rent one from them or not and there's no additional charge for the rent. I'm renting an HD DVR from them, that was listed above and I'm very happy with it. Unlike Tivo you don't need a seperate phone line.

I have cable & don't want to pay for Tivo. The cable costs enough. I was wondering how the difference was beween having a hard drive or not having one. I don't have a cable box at all.

hershon
10-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Can you make external DVD or VHS copies off your Time Warner HD DVR rental? Right now I can't because for some bizarre reason the folks at Timer Warner in LA have no currently programmed that feature into the DVR. Is there a way to get around this that actually works?

Scientific Atlanta, who provides 90% of cable boxes, has a HD DVR. HD recording has a capacity of 20 hrs, SD is up to 120 hrs. 160 Gb hard drive vs. 80 Gb in their regular Explorer 8000.

eisforelectronic
10-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Can you make external DVD or VHS copies off your Time Warner HD DVR rental? Right now I can't because for some bizarre reason the folks at Timer Warner in LA have no currently programmed that feature into the DVR. Is there a way to get around this that actually works?

Things are a little different on the HD DVR from the standard DVR. On the standard one, in order to get the Aux out to activate you have to turn on the pip feature. So you go to your list find what you want and start it, turn on pip, and then swap it.

On the HD DVR it is possible that the other outputs besides the component out may not be activated at all. Some of these do not even have a functioning coax output. Also some of the boxes use the green video out to double as the composite video out.

Does your DVI output work? Again some of them do and some of them don't. the DVI feature is not an officially supported feature either.

hershon
10-24-2004, 01:21 AM
Right now I'm not using any DVI output whatever that is. I tried doing several things to try to make video copies from the HD DVR and nothing worked, I even tried to make a copy from the monitor out on my TV to the VCR and that didn't work either. Why Time Warner isn't making the "aux out" feature available right now I don't understand.

Other than that I'm happy with the HD DVR. I'm pretty sure you have the same model, you can record 40 hours standard or 20 hours HD. For some reason, this model number got crappy reviews on the internet (which didn't have anything to do with the "auxillary" not being activated. I don't understand their complaining, the HD picture and sound is great.
I just wish there was a way to record on it to skip commercials. According to TimeWarner there isn't. I was originally thinking of trying to buy one of these DVR's outright but found out if I did I'd just be throwing out money because Time Warner would still charge $10 a month for DVR service with or without their rental.

Things are a little different on the HD DVR from the standard DVR. On the standard one, in order to get the Aux out to activate you have to turn on the pip feature. So you go to your list find what you want and start it, turn on pip, and then swap it.

On the HD DVR it is possible that the other outputs besides the component out may not be activated at all. Some of these do not even have a functioning coax output. Also some of the boxes use the green video out to double as the composite video out.

Does your DVI output work? Again some of them do and some of them don't. the DVI feature is not an officially supported feature either.

N. Abstentia
10-24-2004, 03:27 AM
Just a stupid question here...and I'm not familiar with your DVR (can't beat DirecTIVO!) but how does it connect to your TV? If you connect it with say..S-Video, why can't you just connect the S-Video to your computer and record that way? Wouldn't be HD of course, but that should work.

eisforelectronic
10-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Just a stupid question here...and I'm not familiar with your DVR (can't beat DirecTIVO!) but how does it connect to your TV? If you connect it with say..S-Video, why can't you just connect the S-Video to your computer and record that way? Wouldn't be HD of course, but that should work.

The SD DVR connects using either composite, S-video, or RF coax. It also has an additional set of outputs marked archive. These are the ones that only activate with picture-in-picture. So yes, what you are suggesting would work, except that most people would rather take advantage of the additional output rather than use one of the primary because then they can watch something else while they make their copy.

The HD DVR does not have all of it's outputs activated, so it is generally limited to just the componet output.

Hershon, In Hawaii if a person requests to have the firewire port turned on Time Warner will do it for them. I actually think they configure a new box and then have the customer swap it in the office. I hear it works fine for transferring most content to D-VHS. Apparently ESPN-HD is currently producing a black screen through firewire, so there still are a few issues with it.

kpzbee
10-25-2004, 05:23 AM
I can't speak for direct TV but if you have Cable service such as Time Warner, you can't just hook up a DVR to your cable/system, they charge $10 for DVR service whether you rent one from them or not and there's no additional charge for the rent. I'm renting an HD DVR from them, that was listed above and I'm very happy with it. Unlike Tivo you don't need a seperate phone line.

But where I live, I don't pay ANY extra for having a DVR. I use it all the time with basic cable. :D Sorry your cable system is a rip.

PDL63, I think your correct about the cooling fan. I have mine in a a/v cabinet & sit back from it about 10', so I don't/can't hear it. The 510's were noted for a noisy H/D but that was fixed in the 520 from what I've read.

hershon
10-25-2004, 07:28 AM
Out of curiosity, where do you live, who is the company and in regards to your DVR can you: 1. Record shows straight off the cable on screen guide- for instance you see a show you want to record and all you need to do is click the record button & 2. If you can do that, can you also do the same on digital and premiere channels like BBC America, Trio, Sci Fi, HBO & Showtime for example? I seriously doubt you can but if you can do so, more power to you. I'm on Time Warner in Los Angeles.
But where I live, I don't pay ANY extra for having a DVR. I use it all the time with basic cable. :D Sorry your cable system is a rip.

PDL63, I think your correct about the cooling fan. I have mine in a a/v cabinet & sit back from it about 10', so I don't/can't hear it. The 510's were noted for a noisy H/D but that was fixed in the 520 from what I've read.

IsmaVA
10-26-2004, 02:19 PM

How much are you paying for cable?

In my experience a DSS service WITH a PVR is cheaper than hwat you would pay for basic cable . . .

kpzbee
10-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Out of curiosity, where do you live, who is the company and in regards to your DVR can you: 1. Record shows straight off the cable on screen guide- for instance you see a show you want to record and all you need to do is click the record button .
I live in Ohio & have a local cable service, not a big name service (i.e. Comcast or Time Warner). I have no cable box so my on screen guide is broadcast on a channel. If I want to record a show, I have 2 options. 1 - If the program is starting when I'm watching, I can hit quick record & it will start recording instantly. As you hit the button, it will start at 30 mins, hit the button again & it will go to 1 hr & so on up to 6 hrs I think. 2 - If I know a program is going to be on later, I can set the timer recording to start at whatever time & channel. It's pretty quick & easy to do. It's easier than my VCR was.

2. If you can do that, can you also do the same on digital and premiere channels like BBC America, Trio, Sci Fi, HBO & Showtime for example? I seriously doubt you can but if you can do so, more power to you. I'm on Time Warner in Los Angeles. If I would have the digital service, I would have a box. Yes, the recorder will do it. It's no different from what I'm told. I asked the cable company if I can use my recorder with their digital box & they say yes. We might subscribe to the digital service later this year. For now, we belong to Netflix as we like to watch a lot of movies. For $18 a month, we get the movies we want to watch, when we want to watch them. A better deal than the movie channels IMO.

How much are you paying for cable?

In my experience a DSS service WITH a PVR is cheaper than hwat you would pay for basic cable . .

We pay $40 for expanded basic cable. I looked into a dish several times in the last couple of years & it would end up costing me more, due to having to pay extra for local channels. We cannot pick up stations coming from Cleveland because we live in a valley. Plus, I have cable internet through the same place, that is very reasonable. I would have to pay more for the internet without the tv service. It's all a balancing act! ;)

JeffKnob
10-28-2004, 11:09 AM
I live in Ohio & have a local cable service, not a big name service (i.e. Comcast or Time Warner). I have no cable box so my on screen guide is broadcast on a channel. If I want to record a show, I have 2 options. 1 - If the program is starting when I'm watching, I can hit quick record & it will start recording instantly. As you hit the button, it will start at 30 mins, hit the button again & it will go to 1 hr & so on up to 6 hrs I think. 2 - If I know a program is going to be on later, I can set the timer recording to start at whatever time & channel. It's pretty quick & easy to do. It's easier than my VCR was.

If I would have the digital service, I would have a box. Yes, the recorder will do it. It's no different from what I'm told. I asked the cable company if I can use my recorder with their digital box & they say yes. We might subscribe to the digital service later this year. For now, we belong to Netflix as we like to watch a lot of movies. For $18 a month, we get the movies we want to watch, when we want to watch them. A better deal than the movie channels IMO.

We pay $40 for expanded basic cable. I looked into a dish several times in the last couple of years & it would end up costing me more, due to having to pay extra for local channels. We cannot pick up stations coming from Cleveland because we live in a valley. Plus, I have cable internet through the same place, that is very reasonable. I would have to pay more for the internet without the tv service. It's all a balancing act! ;)

I have the same HD DVR service from Time Warner that hershon has. I have grown really fond of the on demand channels. It is really great to be able to look through a list of shows and pick on and it will start whenever I want. Along with I think 12 HBO channels I get to just pick movies on the on demand HBO channel and just start right away. I don't like to wait...I am impatient. :D

IsmaVA
10-28-2004, 11:28 AM
We pay $40 for expanded basic cable. I looked into a dish several times in the last couple of years & it would end up costing me more, due to having to pay extra for local channels. We cannot pick up stations coming from Cleveland because we live in a valley. Plus, I have cable internet through the same place, that is very reasonable. I would have to pay more for the internet without the tv service. It's all a balancing act!

Now it makes sense . . . :)

hershon
10-28-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm interpreting your post to mean that you go through Time Warner in LA (Chatsworth) & you are using their HD DVR. Are you able to record from your HD DVR to a video or DVD recorder? I can't because Time Warner says this hasn't been programed into the DVR's yet. Someone else suggested that I individually request them to do this.

I have the same HD DVR service from Time Warner that hershon has. I have grown really fond of the on demand channels. It is really great to be able to look through a list of shows and pick on and it will start whenever I want. Along with I think 12 HBO channels I get to just pick movies on the on demand HBO channel and just start right away. I don't like to wait...I am impatient. :D

kpzbee
10-28-2004, 12:39 PM
See if this helps. I copied this from the owners manual. It didn't copy quite right but it's still readable.

Automatic recording from a satellite
tuner
If you have a satellite tuner or some other kind of set top
box connected to the
L1
input, you can have the recorder
start and stop recording automatically with the timer
settings of the connected component. (If the other
component doesn’t have a built-in timer, you’ll need to
use it with an external timer unit.)
After setting up for Auto Start Recording, this recorder
starts recording when it detects a signal from the other
component. When the signal ceases, the recorder stops
recording.
If you want to use this recorder with the timer features of
your satellite tuner, see
Additional information for cable/
satellite/STB (set-top box) users
on page 112.
Important
• It takes a little while for this recorder to switch on and
start recording after detecting a signal. Please bear
this in mind when setting the timer.
• If Auto Start Recording is set, it will not start if
another timer recording is in progress.
• Timer recordings take precedence over Auto Start
Recording. Auto Start Recording will stop if a timer
recording is due to start. After the timer recording
has finished, Auto Start Recording will resume.
1 Set the timer for the satellite receiver (or other
component), then switch it into standby (if
necessary).
Check the manual that came with the receiver if you’re
not sure how to do this.
2 Check that the ‘Audio In’ settings for ‘External
Audio’ and ‘Dual Mono Recording’ are as you want
them.
See
Audio In settings
on page 97 for more on these
settings.
3 Set up the recorder.
• Use
REC MODE
to set the recording quality. See
Setting the picture quality/recording time
on page 45
for detailed information.
4 Press HOME MENU and select ‘Timer Recording’,
then ‘Auto Start Recording’.
5 Select ‘Yes’ to switch Auto Start Recording on, or
‘No’ to switch off.
6 Switch the recorder into standby.
The
AUTO
indicator in the front panel display lights.
The recorder will automatically switch on and start
recording when the other component comes on.
Recording stops when the external component switches
off.
• To cancel Auto Start Recording, press

STANDBY/
ON
while the recorder is in standby. The
AUTO
indicator goes off.
• To cancel Auto Start Recording once recording has
already started, press

REC
for three seconds, then

STOP REC
• When a timer recording is in progress ahead of Auto
Start Recording, some functions, such as extending
the timer recording and chase play, are not available.
Press the front panel
+
button for three seconds to
cancel Auto Start Recording without affecting the
timer recording. The
AUTO
indicator goes off.
Note
• Auto Start Recordings are always on the HDD. Auto
Start Recording to DVD is not possible.
• You can’t set Auto Start Recording when:
• the recorder is recording or in timer recording
standby.
• the HDD is not recordable.
• the HDD already contains the maximum number
of titles (250).
HDD

I also found this about cable boxes.

Additional information for cable/
satellite/STB (set-top box) users
The following instructions show how to use the timer
features of your STB with this recorder.
Setting up
1 Connect the STB’s audio/video outputs to a set of
audio/video inputs on this recorder.
2 Switch on both the STB and this recorder and
switch the recorder’s input function to the STB (L1,
L2 or L3).
To check that everything is connected properly, switch on
your TV and select this recorder as the video input. You
should see whatever the STB is tuned to.
3 Program the IR controller supplied with your STB
to send start/stop recording codes for a Pioneer VCR.
See the manual that came with the STB for how to do
this.
Only the
REC
and
STOP
codes have any effect when used
with this recorder:

REC
– Start recording

STOP
– Stop recording
4 Position the IR controller so that it will control
this recorder.
The IR sensor on the recorder is located just above the

mark on the front panel.
Making a timer recording
1 Set the timer on the STB.
See the manual that came with your STB for how to do
this.
2 Switch on this recorder.
You must leave the recorder on until the recording
finishes.
• At the programmed times, the STB will start and stop
recording on this recorder.

Maybe this will answer your questions.

JeffKnob
10-29-2004, 09:47 AM
I'm interpreting your post to mean that you go through Time Warner in LA (Chatsworth) & you are using their HD DVR. Are you able to record from your HD DVR to a video or DVD recorder? I can't because Time Warner says this hasn't been programed into the DVR's yet. Someone else suggested that I individually request them to do this.

I have the same service but I live in WI. I haven't recorded anything off of the DVR yet. I know there is a option when you select a recorded show to copy to VCR and there are instructions in the manual on how to connect it to a VCR or DVD recorder but I have never done it.