Can't wait for Sky Captain!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait for Sky Captain!!!!

Worf101
09-16-2004, 01:43 PM
I like flight sims alot. And one of my fave sims of all times was/is Crimson Skies from Microsoft. That game obviously inspired this film, the game and the pulps like Doc Savage etc... I hope they get this one right. Previews have been good from the word of mouth I've heard around the net. Here's to the time of "high adventure". When rocket belts and flying cars were right around the corner.

Da Worfster

markw
09-16-2004, 03:47 PM
It looks like a campy, thirties kinda retro art deco sci-fi atmosphere with clearly defined bad guys and good guys. The hardware and flight scenes reminded me of the old H.G Wells movie from the thirties, "The Shape of Things to Come".

Oh, I also liked "The Rocketeer" as well. Who needs good taste? I know what I like. ;)

sc03979
09-16-2004, 04:19 PM
I also can't wait for this movie. Anything with scifi and money into the production is right up my alley. It looks like it has a really unique style for a hollywood movie. I can't wait to rent it.

Dusty Chalk
09-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Me neither, and my reasons are similar to markw's.

I've heard, though, that it was simple to make -- all the scenes with the actors in them are shot against green screen, and everything else is CGI (I know that CGI is expensive, but it's not difficult). This was not done for budgetary reasons, but rather for stylistic reasons, and the trailers bode well that they got it right.

Worf101
09-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Drumrollll please.....

and A-. That bodes well that Friday or Sunday afternoon... I'll be in heaven.

Da Worfster :D

Kam
09-17-2004, 06:45 AM
looks like its a cartoon cgi movie with human characters inserted in it. i think the ENTIRE movie was shot in front of blue/green screens, but not sure, haven't read too much on it. but definitely is a cool concept. one thing i read was the writer/director showed the powers that be a 6min demo of the concept and it was good enough to greenlight the project and bring on major talent. and anything where angelina does a british accent is a must see, even with an eye-patch she is ridiculously hot.
can't wait to see it either, hopefully will post a review sunday, can't miss out on the games tomorrow!

peace
k2

Troy
09-17-2004, 06:49 AM
Yeah, the art direction looks spectacular. They nailed the look.

Geoffcin
09-17-2004, 01:01 PM
With all the CGI used the digital print should be awesome!

Geoffcin
09-18-2004, 06:03 PM
With all the CGI used the digital print should be awesome!
Filmed in sepia, and gauzed, this is a movie unlike any I've seen from and of the major or minor film studios. In a year that Shrek 2 set the bar for razor sharp CGI animation, this movie turns the whole CGI thing on it's head with it's highly stylized look. I'm not going to give away any of the plot, although there's really nothing to give away, but keep an eye out for movie references. Even the address #'s carry significance if your quick enough to spot it!

audiobill
09-21-2004, 05:57 AM
Hey, folks.

I, too, was pumped to see Sky Captain. My wife and I saw it on Sunday. What a big disappointment.

We are both fans of old classic films (i.e., Touch of Evil, et al, as well as campy sci-fi such as Flash Gordon) and from all of the hype we thought we couldn't miss.

The storyline is too simple. Nothing really exciting really happens. Prior to seeing the film, I read a Hype-line from Ebert saying something like this is the way he felt after seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark..... Well, let me tell all of you: This is not anywhere near the same calibre of greatness as Raiders -- not even close.

The "look" of the film is very cool and very interesting with its sepia tones and cgi.
But that cannot sustain it and, unfortunately, it tries. There is even a clip (very lame and blatantly ineffective) of the Wizard of Oz within the film that screams look at my film -- it too will be a classic. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

My two cents' worth. Clearly, I'm looking fwd to what others think when they see it. You might, however, save your schillings for The Aviator and rent this one, when it's out.

audiobill

Geoffcin
09-21-2004, 02:35 PM
To spoil it for me, so I went in without reading any of the reviews.

I'm sorry to say that even doing that, I was let down. After reading some of the reviews now, I think the guy who compared it to Raiders must have his head examined. The plot was weak, and even the best acting can't overcome this. My feeling is that they should have forgone a few minutes of CGI, and spent the money on a good screenwriter. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie for the most part, and there were some great CGI moments, but I can't see the hype over this movie making sense. I give it 2.5 stars out of four, 3 if your a CGI junkie like me. (that ray gun was cool)!

Worf101
09-21-2004, 08:45 PM
But I'd read too many reviews, I expected way more than I got. But all in all it was a satisfying experience that could've been so much more. I had more fun flying and playing Crimson Skies than I did watching this. There may be a sequel where we come to care about the characters but I didn't care for her, or him for that matter. A lot of the plot holes were done on purpose but that can't hide so many flaw. I did like the use of Sir Lawrence however.

Da Worfster :(

eisforelectronic
09-22-2004, 03:30 AM
I thought it was interesting at best.

alumpkin
09-22-2004, 12:32 PM
I saw it a few days ago and have to say that it kind of got annoying. It seemed to me that all of the CGI stuff was too hazy and got on my nerves. I thought the story and the acting were good, but I kept on being weirded out by the fact that skycaptain is flying around in a WWII plane and he fighting these futuristic robots as tall as buildings. I know it is SCIFI and therefore did not have a problem with this, but as I said, it was kindof weird to see.

Also, how come we didn't see Angelina Jolie until near the end! I was hoping to see quite a bit more of her. Anyway, still worth watching, but maybe not in theatres.