Titanic MKIII finished. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Titanic MKIII finished.

macebanyon
09-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Hello all

I originally started with the Titanic MKIII 12" kit from Part's Express. Because I planned on using this sub in a music only system, I decided to scrap the P.E. cabinet (1.6f^3) I modeled the Titanic in WinIsd and decided to go with a 2.1f^3 to tighten things up a bit. Now don't get me wrong, the Titanic in kit form was fine, excellent actually, but the lower frequencies had a bit of boom that I wanted to try and eliminate.
The biggest drawback to enlarging the cab would be loosing some bottom end, but I felt that this being for music only, the compromise of a tighter response versus a little more extension, was well worth it.
The cabinet was built using 1" MDF, cubed 18x18x18.5, and had an internal shelf brace connecting the sidewalls and top and bottom. I also ran 1" oak dowel rods from the front baffle to the back wall.
VERY SOLID!
I decided to use real wood veneer, Teak, on all sides but the baffle. For the baffle, I used an Acrylic Lacquer, dark gray w/gold metalflake. This almost looks black, but in the right light the matalflake really accents the Teak quiet well.
VERY BEAUTIFUL!
The sound is very musical, tight and fast. In my room this beast actually is 2dB's louder at 20Hz. than at 25Hz. From 20Hz. To 250Hz. there is only a variation of 5dB. I also own the HSU VTF-2, which is also an excellent sub, but the Titanic definitely outplays it.

To sum things up, I would have no problem recommending this sub to anyone. Buy it in the kit form, or just get the amp and driver and build your own box. You will not be disappointed.
pix- http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=996743

kexodusc
09-16-2004, 11:28 AM
That's a lovely unit...just curious, did you veneer the back and bottom too? Was the veneer one of those "bought in a roll" or bought in sheets deals?

macebanyon
09-16-2004, 11:36 AM
That's a lovely unit...just curious, did you veneer the back and bottom too? Was the veneer one of those "bought in a roll" or bought in sheets deals?

Thanks kexodusc,
yes, all sides were veneered, including the back and bottom. I used the PSA (peel-and-stick) veneer from Rockler.com. Very, very easy to use. They sell it in 24"x24" and 24"x96" sheets.

Glen B
09-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Beautiful job. I bow to you, Master. Makes my DIY sub look like a piece of crap. I finished mine with low gloss black textured paint and heat-set oak edging.

My piece of crap sub:

macebanyon
09-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Glen,
You say piece of crap sub, but nowhere on the sub do i see "BOSE". Actually it looks very nice. How does it sound?

Eric Z
09-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Looks great, macebanyon! I think you did a fantastic job on the box- nice job! Even better since you said it performs very well, too! If I go this route, I would buy the whole kit since I don't want to deal with building a box- I have enough home remodeling and that's more than enough, haha!

Thanks for directing me to the DIY section!
Eric

Glen B
09-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Glen,
You say piece of crap sub, but nowhere on the sub do i see "BOSE". Actually it looks very nice. How does it sound?

It sounds quite good actually. I use it in my dedicated home theater system. Sonically It blends quite nicely with my Paradigm Mini-Monitor mains. The amp is from Parts Express. I've had it a couple of years now and feel no desire to change so that must be a good thing.

poneal
09-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Very nice. What did you use on the teak veneer? Lacquer, acrylic, poly? Did you sand and compound, polish, and wax it? I actually built a Titanic MKII 12" a year or so ago. The sub is fine but I have to admit I like my 8" Peerless drivers better. They match my AR.Com monitors much better and sound more musical to me. Any way, great job on that veneering. Did you go with a 96" and wrap it? Well done! Paul.

mpm32
09-17-2004, 06:02 AM
Excellent Job. I do have one question though. Why did you run the grain on the top perpendicular to the grain on the sides?

macebanyon
09-17-2004, 08:23 AM
Poneal-
I used Deft Lacquer
Did the required sanding, and then just shot it
Veneered one side at a time.

Mpm-
I really have no good reason why.

Thanks all

mpm32
09-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Nice job overall.