DIY Subwoofer- other recommendations? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DIY Subwoofer- other recommendations?

Eric Z
09-16-2004, 04:22 AM
I building a new HT in my family room and heard about DIY kits for a subwoofer. I've heard a few people mention Parts Express and various Titanic MKIII subwoofer kits. Here's the 10" specs-

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-760

I am wondering if anyone has experience with the quality of this sub. I've never done anything DIY with audio equipment so I'm a little hesitant- especially because I can't audition it before I buy it.

I would like to spend as little as possible for this sub ($350 max) since this is for an additional HT, but of course get as good of quality as possible.

I currently use a Def Tech PS80 in my main HT and I'm happy with that- some say it's too small, not deep/tight enough, but it sounds good enough for me!

Any information is appreciated!

As always, thank you!
Eric

P.S. The room this is going in is a carpeted lower level family room- about 12x18. It only has one door opening in the rear of the room.

N. Abstentia
09-16-2004, 07:52 AM
I'd give this a serious look. Great sub, already built, costs less...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3275&item=5719999767&rd=1

macebanyon
09-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Eric,
check my posting in the DIY area.

Eric Z
09-16-2004, 01:27 PM
I didn't even know there was a DIY section out here- the things you learn! Thanks, I'll take a look!!

toenail
09-21-2004, 03:35 AM
You may want to consider building from scratch as well. There are plenty of freeware programs available (winisd) that can show you all you need to know about box spec/tuning. All you need is a reputable sub within your budget and the T/S parameters (though many are included in the softare). Basic woodworking skills will bring pretty good results.

I went this route last year and built a ported isobaric sub that's -3bd@22.5hz using drivers and scrap materials I had laying around. Great for HT use.

JeffKnob
09-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Adire Audio includes plans for DIY subwoofer enclosures that work for their drivers. I made one of the enclosures for the Tempest with two 15" passive radiators and it is an amazing sounding setup.