Needing new Cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Needing new Cables

jamison
09-15-2004, 05:25 PM
I recently purchased two adcom amps the first one a GFA-5006 i intend to run bridged (175x3) and the other is a GFA-5500( rated at 200x2) the 5006 will be driving my center and surrounds and the 5500 will drive my mains. I am looking to get cables to connect both amps to my Onkyo TX-SR 900 Receiver. any suggestions? i find the monster cables to look good but they are kinda pricy. id like to get 5 single cables for about 100 bucks or less if possible. do the cables make a signifcant difference with this level of equipment? I am looking on ebay but im not an expert by any means just an enthusiast who wants to learn. any help would be apreciated.

Pat D
09-15-2004, 11:02 PM
I recently purchased two adcom amps the first one a GFA-5006 i intend to run bridged (175x3) and the other is a GFA-5500( rated at 200x2) the 5006 will be driving my center and surrounds and the 5500 will drive my mains. I am looking to get cables to connect both amps to my Onkyo TX-SR 900 Receiver. any suggestions? i find the monster cables to look good but they are kinda pricy. id like to get 5 single cables for about 100 bucks or less if possible. do the cables make a signifcant difference with this level of equipment? I am looking on ebay but im not an expert by any means just an enthusiast who wants to learn. any help would be apreciated.
To connect the pre-outs from your receiver to your power amplifiers you will need interconnects with RCA jacks on the ends. You can get perfectly good ones from Walmart or Radio Shack. That should cost well under $100. I haven't got $100 worth of interconnects and speaker cables in my whole system and it is worth over $10,000. Of course, the more expensive Monster Cable stuff should work just as well but why spend the money for nothing?

Check out the following web site for some articles on cable comparisons.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/index.php

FLZapped
09-16-2004, 06:44 AM
To connect the pre-outs from your receiver to your power amplifiers you will need interconnects with RCA jacks on the ends. You can get perfectly good ones from Walmart or Radio Shack. That should cost well under $100. I haven't got $100 worth of interconnects and speaker cables in my whole system and it is worth over $10,000. Of course, the more expensive Monster Cable stuff should work just as well but why spend the money for nothing?

Check out the following web site for some articles on cable comparisons.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/index.php

Even my local Home Depot carries them - RCA Brand, I believe, but that varies store to store.

-Bruce

jamison
09-16-2004, 06:53 AM
thanks for the info and interesting link. i think i will just buy some decent interconnects.

E-Stat
09-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I am looking to get cables to connect both amps to my Onkyo TX-SR 900 Receiver. any suggestions?
I would recommend moving up one notch from the molded plastic-base metal $3 variety to the shielded gold plated metal flavors available for $10-$15 each. There are many online sources like partsexpress.com who sell such. In an HT environment with a bunch of power and signal wires in close proximity, you could benefit from the shielding and the connectors will oxidize less over time.

rw

markw
09-16-2004, 12:45 PM
I would recommend moving up one notch from the molded plastic-base metal $3 variety to the shielded gold plated metal flavors available for $10-$15 each. There are many online sources like partsexpress.com who sell such. In an HT environment with a bunch of power and signal wires in close proximity, you could benefit from the shielding and the connectors will oxidize less over time.

rw

I agree. A little more solid construction and better shielding doesn't cost that much more and is a good thing to have.

jamison
09-16-2004, 04:25 PM
well this is what i decided on and bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5719896798&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

with shipping i got 3 pairs for 27 dollars.