How about that new Faint? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How about that new Faint?

Dusty Chalk
09-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Wet from Birth. I quite dig it. It's not another Danse Macabre, but I think fans of that album will find it fits perfectly as the next iteration in their oeuvre. It's less different from Danse Macabre than Danse Macabre was from Blank-Wave Arcade (or that Blank-Wave Arcade was from Media), and yet...it's still a growth...a step forward...it's not a "difficult sophomore release" by any measure.

The first song has a nice swagger that I don't ever remember hearing before. The last track sounds like it's got a few orchestral stabs, giving it a "bigger" sound.

Oh, and they didn't "turn metal", as I predicted they would. Which is probably a good thing to some of you folks.

Davey
09-15-2004, 01:09 PM
You must've hit the rekkid store yesterday, eh? Hehehe, so did I and I did see that and it does have a pretty weird cover but I didn't frankly ever warm up to the last one so passed it by and bought the new Mark Lanegan Band CD and tentoze is right that it's a <b>very</b> good one and I quite enjoy it so far and it even has Polly Jean on a coupla songs and Greg Dulli and the QOTSA boys and Chris Goss and a bunch of others. Lots of that itchy Tom Waits vibe and it doesn't stay in one place for very long. Also got my hands on the Arcade Fire debut that everyone seems to be raving about this week but haven't had a chance to really listen to it yet. It does seem a litle different overall than the two songs on their site, but I think it'll be a lot of fun. Definitely on its way to being the highest acclaimed album of the year if the early reviews are any indication because they are almost unanimously near perfect.

I noticed that the Faint album got roasted a little at the Fork today but seems to be liked much better by other critics if you visit metacritic, and of course yourself. Stone will likely be all over it too.

Jim Clark
09-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Kool. Didn't even know it came out. I see my local BB has a copy, even on sale for 7.99. Guess where I"m going after dinner?

jc

Stone
09-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Don't have it yet, but I will soon in all likelihood. Glad to hear you like it Dusty, but that's not a really high bar, is it?? :)

NP: The Trouble With Sweeney - Play Karen and Others

Davey
09-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Glad to hear you like it Dusty, but that's not a really high bar, is it?? :)
Heehee, you're bad. I remember one time accusing our buddy Dusty of liking everything, but we were having an argument about something. I think he definitely likes a lot more than me, that's pretty obvious. Seems like that would be a good thing, too. Kind of like doubling your music collection or something. Maybe I should try to be more open minded too http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Dusty Chalk
09-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Glad to hear you like it Dusty, but that's not a really high bar, is it?? :)Heh-heh, so true. If I was better with my diction, I could write ad copy.

And Davey, WRT that "argument", I don't remember my response to you, but in hindsight, you're right -- I do like quite a bit. I even went so far as to say (at one time), that there are two types of music -- the kind I like, and the kind I haven't heard yet. I don't know if that's truly the case -- I'm sure there's something I don't like, I just can't remember anything besides that Indian sitar music CD on Nonsuch(/Nonesuch/?sp) that I truly disliked from beginning to end. No, wait a minute, I really didn't like that Khanate disc, neither. Okay, that's about it, all I can remember. 2 CD's out of...how many? Thousands. Tens of thousands (that I've heard).

And in terms of whether or not it's a good thing, there is definitely a downside -- the wallet situation (of course), and the frustration of knowing one can never hear it all.

Jim -- 7.99? Dagnabit, I paid like 11.99, and I thought I was getting a deal. How did you check without going there? I didn't think either of my local Best Buys would have it (or did you mean, Bed & Breakfast?), so I didn't even bother checking there. That tends to be a "deep catalog" thing around here.

Jim Clark
09-16-2004, 05:10 AM
Jim -- 7.99? Dagnabit, I paid like 11.99, and I thought I was getting a deal. How did you check without going there? I didn't think either of my local Best Buys would have it (or did you mean, Bed & Breakfast?), so I didn't even bother checking there. That tends to be a "deep catalog" thing around here.

Well it was listed for 7.99 online but at the store the price was 11.99. What's up with that? I'm saving my receipt and if I can order it online for an instore pickup I'll just use the first receipt for a return. Yeah, I'm a cheapskate.

jc