The ideal cheaply priced HDTV without tuner [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The ideal cheaply priced HDTV without tuner

hershon
09-15-2004, 09:12 AM
I'm trying to consolidate some of the ideas people have put on these threads in recent days. Which HDTV Ready sets without tuners available at the relatively cheapest price would you recommend & why- specifically which features are a must and which features do you not want to have (rainbow effect ones). Please divide this into both 27" TV's and TV's over 46". Is there a best time of year that these TV's are available at the lowest possible price on clearence or whatever from chains like Best Buy? In other words, when the 2005 models are released, do the 2004 ones get discounted severely and what time of year is that. Again, I profess total ignorance on the subject. In regards to not having a tuner, the cable company provides one at no charge which is included in the $6.95 monthly HDTV fee.

Smokey
09-15-2004, 02:55 PM
In other words, when the 2005 models are released, do the 2004 ones get discounted severely and what time of year is that.

The new Tv model usually arrive at store right before Summer (May or June), so you may have passed the time frame to get a large discount on discontinued models.

If you are not in hurry, check out either November or December (I think it is in December) issue of ConsumerReport magazine that is coming out. They usually test big number of TVs on the market and evaluate their picture quality and rank them accordingly.

And I usually post their results in this forum as soon as they are published :D

hershon
09-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Looking forward to your posts. Is the following a good rule of thumb- if I can get an HDTV ready set cheap from Sony, Panasonic, Zeneth, or Mitsubishi (not sure on that one), should I jump in as these sets will give me minimal problems and optimal satisfaction?

The new Tv model usually arrive at store right before Summer (May or June), so you may have passed the time frame to get a large discount on discontinued models.

If you are not in hurry, check out either November or December (I think it is in December) issue of ConsumerReport magazine that is coming out. They usually test big number of TVs on the market and evaluate their picture quality and rank them accordingly.

And I usually post their results in this forum as soon as they are published :D

kpzbee
09-16-2004, 03:47 AM
I just bought an Hitachi RPTV about 3 weeks ago & from what I seen, the new models were just coming out. I picked up last years model at a really good price.

As for quality sets, the order around here (& I agree) is
1 - Hitachi
2 - Toshiba
3 - Mitsubishi
Sony's reputation has gotten pretty bad from what I've read on here & other boards. Nice picture though :(