Searching for Windham Hill/Telarc [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Windham Hill/Telarc

DcnBlu
09-15-2004, 06:21 AM
- Its been a long time since I have been able to get my hands on new recordings from this label. I often find George Winston, or Michael Hedges, but the CDs are mostly re-released material.Ostein Sevag has seemed to have vanished from most music stores; those still in business.

- There are few music stores left in San Antonio Tx, and since I have moved to McPherson Kansas, those few relics have dropped to zero. Yes, there isn't one viable music source in my new home town. Amazon is ok for the common stuff, but I'm looking for those private labels that have won me over so, Telarc (Flim and the BBs), J.Howard Newton, ect.

Any advise?

N. Abstentia
09-15-2004, 06:48 AM
Did you try Telarc's website? www.telarc.com

I feel your pain, I have to drive an hour to get to a place that sells CD's (other than the mall with their $18.99 prices and WalMart..yeah right) so I order all my CD's online.

Woochifer
09-15-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure if Windham Hill's got much of a standalone presence nowadays. Hardly ever see new releases from them, certainly nowhere close to their 80s heyday when they were leading the charge with new age music, and diversifying into other genres. They got absorbed by BMG a while ago, so I have no idea if they maintain any kind of artist development presence anymore. A lot of these niche labels get acquired for their back catalog, and they pretty operate on life support thereafter. I don't know how many artists are still on their roster, but most of what I've seen from them lately has been compilations and greatest hits type stuff.

Telarc is still a viable label and pretty easy to find if the record sections in your area have a classical section.

As far as finding music in a rural area, I feel your pain. Doing retail market projections is part of my job, and I can tell you that it takes a fairly large population base to support a standalone music store. You'll get variations depending on if you're located in a college town or a wealthier community.

I spent a couple of weeks in the Imperial Valley (California) last year for work. I wanted to get some CDs and pretty much the only game in town was WalMart and a small CD section at the local guitar/band instrument store. WalMart was a pretty dreary experience, and while the local music shop had some more interesting items, none of it was stuff that I like. One of the CDs that I wanted to get was Bruce Springsteen's "Darkness On The Edge Of Town", which I own on vinyl but did not have with me on that trip. You would think that album would be easy to find -- think again! WalMart did not have anything by Springsteen except "The Rising" which I already had with me.

Pretty much my choices were to cross the border into Mexicali (which does have some large music stores, but a more limited selection of English language stuff), travel 2 hours west to San Diego, or travel 1 hour east to Yuma. I went to Yuma, and there you had Hastings (a big DVD/book/music/video rental store) and a couple of independent music stores that had a limited selection. Yuma's not a small town, yet the music stores were limited to those choices, and there were only two specialty stores in town that sold home audio equipment.

DcnBlu
09-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys for the ideas, sites, and shared fustration. If anyone finds a hot site that has a large variety of solid good recordings, post it quickly. I will check out telarc.com later on tonight or tomorrow.

mkl

Mr Peabody
09-15-2004, 06:30 PM
You might also try www.redtrumpet.com, www.acousticsounds.com or www.musicdirect.com

How far are you from Salina? House of Sight & Sound is a pretty good place. Tell Tom, Bryan sent you. Acoustic Sounds is also in Salina. They do a lot of high end recording and remastering. Their annual Blues concert is coming up soon.

Those 3 websites should be able to provide you with a good amount of non-mainstream music.

topspeed
09-15-2004, 08:40 PM
If you're a fan of James Newton Howard, might I suggest this cd:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000009EA/qid=1095309059/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl15/102-1500370-5188112?v=glance&s=music&n=507846
This is a Sheffield Labs cd recorded direct to disc and features JNH with members of Toto. As with all Sheffield Labs albums, the recording is pristine (I use it as a reference disc all the time) and the riff Jeff Porcaro lays down on the final track is worth the price of admission alone. The first time I heard this album was when my cousin put the LP on to demonstrate his Denon turntable/Hafler/Klipschorn system. Therefore, I can actually lay blame on this exact disc as the reason I now hang out at sites like this.

E-Stat
09-16-2004, 12:00 PM
- Its been a long time since I have been able to get my hands on new recordings from this label. I often find George Winston, or Michael Hedges, but the CDs are mostly re-released material.Ostein Sevag has seemed to have vanished from most music stores; those still in business.
I share your predicament. I bought my first Windham Hill release in 1982 when I heard George Winston spinning on the table at the local Peaches. A label owned by the artists - what a concept! Most of their recordings were made with high quality, yet simple techniques. Two other favorites are pianist Liz Story and guitarist Alex DiGrassi. I once saw Liz live and was amazed that her live performance sounded exactly like her studio cuts.

Sadly, Michael Hedges died some years ago in a tragic car crash. I saw him live on several occasions and was amazed every time with his unique ability to make a single guitar sound like multiple ones.

rw

DcnBlu
09-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Really big thanks :D to Mr.Peabody for all the suggested sites. I am now confident that I can replace all my stolen music. To find Oystein Sevag for only $5.99 was the cause of my giggles. JNH was also under $9.00. Liz Story, Tim Story, you name it, these three sites had them all. My wife is gonna kill me (again) for the money I spent on CD this week...well worth the pain.

FYI: if you want to spend hours in bliss, listen to Oystein Sevag's "My Heart" or "Wedding Song" amongst his other wonderfully recorded music. Patrick O'Hearn is another artist I feel good about recommending.:p

DcnBlu
09-21-2004, 01:09 PM
You might also try www.redtrumpet.com (http://www.redtrumpet.com/), www.acousticsounds.com (http://www.acousticsounds.com/) or www.musicdirect.com (http://www.musicdirect.com/)

How far are you from Salina? House of Sight & Sound is a pretty good place. Tell Tom, Bryan sent you. Acoustic Sounds is also in Salina. They do a lot of high end recording and remastering. Their annual Blues concert is coming up soon.

Those 3 websites should be able to provide you with a good amount of non-mainstream music.
I live only 30 minutes from Salina. Will have to go and visit the House of Sight & Sound this weekend, and if Tom is there, I will tell him you said hello.