Is it worth it ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it ?

s dog
09-14-2004, 09:45 PM
do you guys think it would be worth buying a HDTV for dvds only for now and wait for the satellite upgrade to get cheaper, and also wait for more HD channels to become available , does watching a dvd on a hdtv look better than a superbit dvd looks on a standerd tv, thank you

hershon
09-14-2004, 11:01 PM
It only costs $7 a month to get HDTV from the cable company in the LA area. I don't know where you live but I can't imagine charges to be that much higher. Given that you can apparently afford to get an HDTV, I would think you could afford $7 plus for the service.

do you guys think it would be worth buying a HDTV for dvds only for now and wait for the satellite upgrade to get cheaper, and also wait for more HD channels to become available , does watching a dvd on a hdtv look better than a superbit dvd looks on a standerd tv, thank you

Hairsonfire
09-15-2004, 03:31 AM

If your DVD player is a Progressive Scan unit. HDTV or HDTV Ready sets can take advantage of the anamorphic qualities of widescreen DVDs - Standard Televisions can not. If you think Superbit DVDs look good on your regular television - just wait til you see what they look like with Progressive Scan on an HDTV.

wasch_24
09-15-2004, 05:07 AM
Oh yeah it's worth it! Especially if you are talking about a TV bigger than 36".

As far as SAT services and more HD stations goes check out www.voom.com.

$60 a month for 25 HD stations not including what you may or may not get Over The Air with an antenna, which they will install as part of the standard install. For &90 a month you can get 35 HD channels. Both packages include about 100 standard cable favorites minus HGTV and a couple others.

alumpkin
09-15-2004, 06:24 AM
Like everyone else is saying... yes it is worth it.

The widescreen capabilities of the HDTV sets almost make it worth it by itself. Also, like Hairsonfire stated, the HDTVs utilize the dvd progressive scanning.

I have an HDTV Ready tv becaus I did not want to spend the extra money to get a built in High Def tuner (cause like you... I will be looking to upgrade down the road). I contacted my cable company and they allowed me to rent a HDTV tuner box from them for no additional charge which is really nice. Overall, I did not see the huge deal in getting the built in tuner yet because in my area there are not that many HD channels. But the ones that are HD, look amazing!

s dog
09-15-2004, 09:55 PM
It is not the 7$ a month im worried about it is the $400.00 dish wants to upgrade my satellite receiver , I was thinking if i wait awhile they might come down in price a bit , and yes i do have a progressive scan dvd player denon 1600, well i will just have to think it over , thanks for your help