RCA Connections HELP please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RCA Connections HELP please

tpcounty
09-14-2004, 08:06 PM
I just got a SHARP 32 inch TV and plugged in some 20$ component video cables into the component video inputs in the back of the TV. I then tried to remove the cables but when the plug came out it took the metal jacket off the input connector with it.
What exactly is the metal jacket for? Is it a ground? Does it carry information or is data transferred only through the center post of the plug? Has this ever happened to you? What did you do?

alumpkin
09-15-2004, 06:35 AM
I not 100% sure, but I would imagine (from my college electrical engineering courses) that the outer metal is for grounding. Therefore it probably is needed in a connection. Regardless, how are you going to plug anothe cable in without the outer metal to hold it in place?

You mention that you recently got the tv. Is it under warranty? Unless you were really tugging at the plug, perhaps the plug was defective and you can get it fixed free of charge. Also, if you can get another component plug in the hole, does it work? That might be a sign that having the outer metal is a necessity. Just some thoughts.

tpcounty
09-15-2004, 06:40 AM
I not 100% sure, but I would imagine (from my college electrical engineering courses) that the outer metal is for grounding. Therefore it probably is needed in a connection. Regardless, how are you going to plug anothe cable in without the outer metal to hold it in place?

You mention that you recently got the tv. Is it under warranty? Unless you were really tugging at the plug, perhaps the plug was defective and you can get it fixed free of charge. Also, if you can get another component plug in the hole, does it work? That might be a sign that having the outer metal is a necessity. Just some thoughts.

Since the metal jacket came off with the plug, I simply reinserted the whole thing back in and I am able to use my DVD player currently. I would imagine this is not a good permanent fix, but it does work temporarily until I either get service or return the whole darn thing. This is the second TV (same model) within a week that the connectors have ripped off.

alumpkin
09-15-2004, 07:12 AM
By saying that this the second tv that the connectors have ripped off, what happened to the first one? Did you send it back or get a replacement?

Anyway, if you have recently purchased or replaced the tv and this new one's connectors are being ripped out as well either 1) get another replacement and try another cable - it could be gripping too tightly to the connector; or 2) ask for another tv when you return it.

Overall, if it has happened twice, it sounds like it might happen again in the future and if you keep your current tv, more connectors can get ripped out.

tpcounty
09-15-2004, 07:21 AM
By saying that this the second tv that the connectors have ripped off, what happened to the first one? Did you send it back or get a replacement?

Anyway, if you have recently purchased or replaced the tv and this new one's connectors are being ripped out as well either 1) get another replacement and try another cable - it could be gripping too tightly to the connector; or 2) ask for another tv when you return it.

Overall, if it has happened twice, it sounds like it might happen again in the future and if you keep your current tv, more connectors can get ripped out.

I returned the first one and replaced with the same model. Then the connectors ripped off the second one. I had even wiped down the connectors to make sure there wasn't any adhesives or any other stuff so that the connectors were smooth as possible. I tried different cables and I ended up ripping out some of the audio connectors too. It just seems the Sharp TV's connectors are just too weak and junky.
Such a hassle since i had to schedule delivery and pickup ( i don't have the means to lug around a 32" TV). I am probably going to return the TV and replace with a different brand (Toshiba probably) all together. I am thinking trying to hold on to the Sharp is a lost cause and will inevitably encounter future problems. Hopefully, I will have a better experience with Toshiba. Any recommendations on TV brands?

alumpkin
09-15-2004, 08:53 AM
I returned the first one and replaced with the same model. Then the connectors ripped off the second one. I had even wiped down the connectors to make sure there wasn't any adhesives or any other stuff so that the connectors were smooth as possible. I tried different cables and I ended up ripping out some of the audio connectors too. It just seems the Sharp TV's connectors are just too weak and junky.
Such a hassle since i had to schedule delivery and pickup ( i don't have the means to lug around a 32" TV). I am probably going to return the TV and replace with a different brand (Toshiba probably) all together. I am thinking trying to hold on to the Sharp is a lost cause and will inevitably encounter future problems. Hopefully, I will have a better experience with Toshiba. Any recommendations on TV brands?

I have a JVC (AV-48WP74 48" Rear Proj TV) and I really like it. I also like Toshiba, Sony, and Samsung. I don't know what models they have out now because I have been more focusing on audio stuff lately, but like with audio, the best thing is to do some research online reading some reviews and then go and pick which one you like best.