Music Hall MMF-9 vs. Rega P25... Any Opinions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music Hall MMF-9 vs. Rega P25... Any Opinions?

magictooth
09-14-2004, 11:41 AM
I'm looking at buying a used TT. These two are in about the same price range in the used market although the MMF-9 is higher priced when new (it includes a Goldring cart).

Just looking for opinions as to which would likely be a better choice.

jbangelfish
09-14-2004, 11:57 AM
From what I've read, would be my choice. Cartridges and tonearms can make a big difference too. Looks don't mean much to me but this one looks like it was made to sound good. Silly maybe but makes a certain amount of sense to me. The most expensive tt's have distinctive looks that appear to mean business.
Bill

slate1
09-16-2004, 08:58 AM
okay, well, I didn't own the MMF-9, but did own the MMF-7.....

I recently sold my MMF-7 and purchased the new Rega P5 table, which is essentially the replacement for the P25. What I can tell you is that the Rega RB-700 tonearm tracks better than the Project 9 arm and is quieter than the MMF. I really feel as though the Rega is better built than the MMF too. I've been very pleased with the P5 and would conisder it an upgrade to the Music Hall.

I had a Goldring 1042 cartridge on the Music Hall which I moved over to the P5 - I have since replaced it with a Rega Exact cartridge and I also feel this was a worthwhile upgrade although the sonic differences in the cartridges wasn't dramatic. What was dramatic was the 5 minutes it took me to install and setup the Exact. When you use the Rega cartridges on a Rega arm it's as simple as inserting 3 bolts and your overhang and alignment are pretty much set.

If you're interested in the P5, contact Bob at The Analog Shop www.analogshop.com he's fantastic to work with and can answer all your questions. He's been selling turntables for 30 years and is a fantastic resource.

Cole

jbangelfish
09-16-2004, 10:00 AM
In this case, it ain't me. I haven't owned either of them. There are many favorable things said about the P25 but it seems that I remember a drawback to them. Maybe an upgradable item, I just don't remember. From things I've read, someone could probably be happy with either of them but as I said, the voice of experience may be the way to go.
Personally, I'd like to know more about the BIX kit turntable. Seldom mentioned anywhere but may be a bargain. Shipping cost seems to be the biggest gripe at $150, if I remember correctly.
Bill

magictooth
09-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the input guys. BTW, what did a new P5 set you back? I realize that they're pretty new so I haven't seen any of them on the used market. Is the only difference the tonearm (RB-600 upgraded to RB-700)?

slate1
09-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Sorry for the delay - haven't checked the boards in a while!

The P5 with the Exact Cartridge ran around $16-$1700 shipped. It's hard to say exactly because I traded an RB-600 arm in the deal - but that's a pretty good guess. The retail on them combined is around $1900.

The tonearm and the plinth have changed - I'm pretty sure the motor and platter are the same as the P-25. Some people like the styling of the P-25 better, but that's a matter of opinon I suppose.

The only problem I've found with the Rega design is that you'll have a hard time finding a clamp that works with it because of the spindle design. This is only a problem with warped records though as Rega doesn't recommend a clamp for normal use. As for other upgrades - no table on the market has more third party upgrade avenues as the Regas if you're one to tweak.

Jimmy C
09-29-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm looking at buying a used TT. These two are in about the same price range in the used market although the MMF-9 is higher priced when new (it includes a Goldring cart).

Just looking for opinions as to which would likely be a better choice.

I chose the Perspective over a P25/Dyn combo. At least I got to hear the two tables in the same system/room, albeit a few minutes apart.

I liked the Pro-Ject's (at least similar to the MMFs upper tables) scale and weight better than the $350ish more expensive Rega set-up. The Rega combo appeared more detailed and "faster" but also felt thinner. Again, not exactly apples to apples comparo. Based on that one demo, I don't get the Rega hype. Not that it was bad, just not overwhelming by any means.

The Regas are more upgradable and the arms certainly "look" better... and maybe they are. Again, based on my demo, I had to choose the Perspective/Grado combo. Your tastes might (obviously!) vary.

I don't consider my tabe too fussy, it throws a good soundscape and will certainly show why analogue ain't dead. Is the MMF9 suspended? Not sure, maybe that's one reason I like mine... the suspension definitely came in handy when I had an apartment on the second floor.

Just go out and hear whatever you possibly can... and sorry for the late response. SOTA makes a nice entry-level table also...

musicoverall
09-30-2004, 10:40 AM
. SOTA makes a nice entry-level table also...

I originally owned the Sota Comet which worked better in my system. I agree with your assessment about the Rega. Quite frankly, I think Rega makes a great pair of budget tables in the P2 and P3 but I thought the P25 was a little pricy for not much of a jump in performance.

Sorry for jumping in! New guy... need to learn manners! :)

magictooth
10-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting a used P25 with Benz Micro Glider L2 for $1K shipped so I figure I got a decent deal. The seller said he probably had less than 100 hours on the cart, and when I looked at the cart under the microscope, it looked like brand new.

I also considered the other brands, but from all that I saw and read, it seems like the Rega is a basically a set it and forget it type of player which is what I was looking for.

slate1
10-26-2004, 10:32 AM
I'm not a big tweaker - but one option you may want to explore on the P25 is the Kerry Audio F2 counterweight. You can find them over on AudiogoN for $130 new and it's worth every penny - especially with regard to noise and bass response - both improved a fair amount. I looked at the F2 and the Michell Tecno-weight, but you have to replace the stub on the tonearm to use the Tecno and I wasn't too keen torquing around on the tonearm bearings.

If it makes you feel all the better about your decision - I've owned Sota, Music Hall, and Rega tables. The Rega P5, which is essentially the P25, combined with the Rega Exact cartridge will be the end of the line for me for quite some time. It's especially good with the Rega TT-PSU upgraded power supply and speed controller - I couldn't be happier!

slate1
11-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Did you have to add a spacer for the Benz Glider cartridge? I've been trying to find a nice MC that doesn't require spacers on the Rega tables.