kexodusc: "Dream Theater" talk [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : kexodusc: "Dream Theater" talk

Luis31
09-14-2004, 09:57 AM
kexodusc,

I have been reading some recent threads on this forum and noticed you are a fan of Dream Theater. I have been a DT fan for while and was wondering:

What is your favorite DT album? Favorite instrumental? Have you see them "live"? And, what the future holds for them/what direction will they be heading? I believe their contract is due with Elektra records, so they are "free agents"...

I, personally, like "Images & Words", "Awake", "Scenes from a Memory" and "Train of Thought" a lot. Big fan of their instrumentals, specially "Hell's Kitchen", "Erotomania", "Ytse jam" and "Stream of Consciousness", simply brilliant musicianship. As to their long, epic songs, I really like "A Change of Seasons".

I've seen them twice in Los Angeles and in Phoenix, AZ. Awesome shows, nothing short of amazing to watch this band of "virtuosos" show their skills.

Your thoughts?

N. Abstentia
09-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Can I answer to?!?! Big Dream Theater fan here!!

My favorite album is Falling Into Infinity. I have no idea why this gets a bad rap, but to me it does not have that 'sterile' feeling that the previous albums have. Plus Derek does some great keyboards, he has a good feel for texture much like Kevin Moore, and they lost that with Rudess. Yeah he can play, but he cannot evoke a mood like Moore/Sherinian could.

Plus on FII, you can actually hear John Myung. Imagine that. It also has less 'wank' than the other albums, even though I do enjoy a good wank every now and then :)

My favorite instrumental is Steam of Conciousness, it borrows quite a bit from Fates Warning which is a good thing!

I have a hard time getting into James LaBrie though, he's not my favorite vocalist by any means. He's okay until he starts screaming, then I just can't take too much. I also can't watch Mike Portnoy for long, I'd like to slap him a few times and yell in his face "SHUTUP, SIT DOWN, PLAY THE DRUMS!!!" Guess I'm used to the Neal Peart style :)

Troy
09-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Rented the Dream Theater Live in Japan CD (disc 1) to see what all the fuss is about. I've tried several DT CDs over the years with nothing connecting with me. Several people have told me to check out the concert DVD before I give up on 'em.

Welllllll, they suck. Yes, yes, yes, I know. But before you get all pissed at me, let me make a few comments.

1. I can see that they all have stunning and prodigious chops, but none of them can write a melody. Their songs are really boring. It's just repetitive scale running at break-neck speeds. Yeah, they are neet to watch in this regard, but I grew tired of not hearing any good hooks or songs very quickly. The songs sound like Rush b-side rejects. Played faster and tighter than Rush b-side rejects, yes, but the songs are forgettable junk.

2. Way too much Spinal Tapish posturing. These clowns with their ridiculous hair and posing are living a cliche. I mean a REALLY bad cliche. The hair is a riot. I mean, each menber of the band struggled with these gigantic manes getting in their eyes, mouths and wrapped around their guitar straps constantly. Each one touched their hair in some way 25 times per song. If it's that much trouble Nigel, get a haircut, ya know? This image they project is archaic and out of style and just lame.

3. That singer is a freekin' trainwreck. Makes Geddy Lee sound like Sinatra. What a popmpous ass. Even fans of the band make excuses for the guy. He's a tremendous liability for them.

4. I've been a fan of Portnoy's drumming for a long time, but this is the first time I've actually seen him. The rap on him has always been that he can't swing, that he has no feel. Well, it REALLY showed on this DVD. He's fast, but plodding. He's a showboater idjit too. Shaddup and sit down. His solo was excruciatingly repetitive and dull.

It's funny, cuz I have a bunch of DT member side projects and I like a lot of them quite a bit (Platypus, Liquid Tension Experiment, Rudess solo albums, Chroma Key, Transatlantic, Planet X etc.) but find the DT stuff to just be boring and utterly empty junk. Heavy metal cotton candy.

This stuff is why progrock has such a bad reputation.

Luis31
09-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Can I answer to?!?! Big Dream Theater fan here!!

My favorite album is Falling Into Infinity. I have no idea why this gets a bad rap, but to me it does not have that 'sterile' feeling that the previous albums have. Plus Derek does some great keyboards, he has a good feel for texture much like Kevin Moore, and they lost that with Rudess. Yeah he can play, but he cannot evoke a mood like Moore/Sherinian could.

Plus on FII, you can actually hear John Myung. Imagine that. It also has less 'wank' than the other albums, even though I do enjoy a good wank every now and then :)

My favorite instrumental is Steam of Conciousness, it borrows quite a bit from Fates Warning which is a good thing!

I have a hard time getting into James LaBrie though, he's not my favorite vocalist by any means. He's okay until he starts screaming, then I just can't take too much. I also can't watch Mike Portnoy for long, I'd like to slap him a few times and yell in his face "SHUTUP, SIT DOWN, PLAY THE DRUMS!!!" Guess I'm used to the Neal Peart style :)

N. Abstentia, sure you can... :)

I pretty much like all their albums, some more than others. "Falling Into Infinity" certainly has its moments of brilliance. I think the reason it got some "bad rap" from fellow DT fans is because it seem like an attempt into becoming a bit more "comercialized". I'm sure Elektra records was behind this... (listen to the lyrics of "As I Am" from Train Of Thought...). You're right about the sound of this record, you can hear Myung bass clearly. I have the same feeling in regards to their 3 keyboard players. Loved what Sheridian did in "Trial of Tears". But, you have to admit, the unisons between Petrucci and Rudess are unique.

You are also right about "Stream Of Conciousness". To me, that's the perfect instrumental with the right combination of melody, flow, and virtuoso-like technique. They show their abilities, but the song has a melody, has feeling, definetely holds its own well.

Labrie, as long as he is not screaming, is find with me. Perfect example is "Blind Faith" from the "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" album, I think Labrie sings this tune perfectly...

You mentioned the "wank". That is why (for me...) its so "entertaining" to listen to this band. Their display of musical prowess and technique is "disturbing" to say the least, specially during their "live" shows.

You mentioned Neil Peart and Portnoy, man, those are my 2 favorite drummers. While Neil Peart sits in front of his kit and "means business", Portnoy is more of a "showman", plays/interacts with the crowd a lot, but both are incredible drummers.

BTW, they recorded a show at the Budokan (Japan) during the first leg of their "Train Of Thought" tour that will be realeased to CD and DVD next month...just an FWI.

Luis31
09-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Rented the Dream Theater Live in Japan CD (disc 1) to see what all the fuss is about. I've tried several DT CDs over the years with nothing connecting with me. Several people have told me to check out the concert DVD before I give up on 'em.

Welllllll, they suck. Yes, yes, yes, I know. But before you get all pissed at me, let me make a few comments.

Troy,

It's cool...

As much as I like DT, is not for everyone. Same goes for Prog rock as a whole, simply is not everyone's cup of tea. I give you "props" for renting the DVD and finding out for yourself. You mentioned their side projects. I really enjoyed the 2 Liquid Tension Experiment album. That, Tony Levin sure can play bass...

kexodusc
09-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Troy:
Actually all their DVD's are sub-par, for the devoted fan only IMO.
Sorry you're not a fan. But I understand their not for everyone. I hate some really popular groups too.
The whole "wanking sucks" thing is getting really stale though. Maybe people haven't heard enough of Yngwie Malmsteen and the likes to know what "wanking" really is. DT's pretty tame on recordings.
These guys cater to their fans, all of them, and give a bit of everything in every album. Nothing wrong with that.
I always answer with:
Yeah, people thought Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Rachmoninoff, and Beethoven were wankers too...
Too complex, too much showing off..
To each their own.

I've always been grateful to DT for helping to save prog rock.
Now the Flower King's, or Spock's Beard....zzzzzzz. Their very, very hit and miss with me...So's I.Q., but, to each their own. (but I'd love to see the 3 live and do enjoy some of their tunes)

But you're dead wrong if you aren't hearing terrific melody. This more than anything else is what has allowed them achieve their success. They're very melodic, have great harmony, and tell great stories with their music, that's what I enjoy most about them.

I haven't heard a current prog rock/prog metal band do it better....well not to my ears anyway.
But their not perfect. (who is)?

Luis31 and N:

My favorite album...hmmm that's tuff.. My least favorite is A Change of Seasons, not because I didn't like it, but it's just not their best stuff. It's probably the least melodic of all albums. I listen to it frequently and really like it though. It was wicked to hear live.

My favorite has to be Metropolis 2: Scenes from a Memory.
This is the only concept album I've heard that tops Operation: Mindcrime, or at leasts rests equal with it. For some reason, I really loved this album. Not the heaviest, but there are some beautiful melodies, and the songs really work well with the various parts of the story their paired with.
BTW: Try playing Pertrucci's part in "The Dance of Eternity"...crazy ass time in that tune..

Falling Into Infinity has some of my favorite songs. "Hell's Kitchen", Millenium, Peruvian Skies, Hollow Years, and Trial of Tears are some of the most melodic and moving songs I've heard in years. There is more "filler" grade material on that album. It's not bad, though.

Images and Words and Awake are both great too. More of that harmonized melody playing between Pertrucci and LaBrie, complimented by the keyboards.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulenc was a great experimental album with tons of good music, not always the most melodic, but I really think the lyrics and group "synergy" were pushed to the next level.

Train of Thought is probably their heaviest...for some reason I feel it just hinted at next big thing from these guys...and I'm waiting for it.

I met these guys at one of the shows I saw them do. They are genuinely nice guys who made me feel like a million bucks and really appreciated the fact that my friends and I bought their albums.
They are so much better live, it's not funny...maybe it's the energy, or the fact that you are in a stadium with people that "get it" that makes it work, but these guys deliver the goods...
See them if you can.

I have great expectations for the next studio album...I have a feeling the best is yet to come from these guys. LaBrie gets my vote as "most improved"...as he's really starting to diversify a bit.
Now, I'd just like them to blend all of their strengths together for one over-the-top masterpiece.

DT- bashers piss me off sometimes. Why bother? You don't like it, fine...tons of people worldwide do, and most have more than the average person's background in music. That over-rules anything the basher's have to say. Their's better targets out there...Take "Alter Bridge" for example...

Luis31
09-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Actually all their DVD's are sub-par, for the devoted fan only IMO.
Sorry you're not a fan. But I understand their not for everyone. I hate some really popular groups too.
The whole "wanking sucks" thing is getting really stale though. Maybe people haven't heard enough of Yngwie Malmsteen and the likes to know what "wanking" really is. DT's pretty tame on recordings.
These guys cater to their fans, all of them, and give a bit of everything in every album. Nothing wrong with that.
I always answer with:
Yeah, people thought Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Rachmoninoff, and Beethoven were wankers too...
Too complex, too much showing off..
To each their own.

I've always been grateful to DT for helping to save prog rock.
Now the Flower King's, or Spock's Beard....zzzzzzz. Their very, very hit and miss with me...So's I.Q., but, to each their own. (but I'd love to see the 3 live and do enjoy some of their tunes)

But you're dead wrong if you aren't hearing terrific melody. This more than anything else is what has allowed them achieve their success. They're very melodic, have great harmony, and tell great stories with their music, that's what I enjoy most about them.

I haven't heard a current prog rock/prog metal band do it better....well not to my ears anyway.
But their not perfect. (who is)?

Luis31 and N:

My favorite album...hmmm that's tuff.. My least favorite is A Change of Seasons, not because I didn't like it, but it's just not their best stuff. It's probably the least melodic of all albums. I listen to it frequently and really like it though. It was wicked to hear live.

My favorite has to be Metropolis 2: Scenes from a Memory.
This is the only concept album I've heard that tops Operation: Mindcrime, or at leasts rests equal with it. For some reason, I really loved this album. Not the heaviest, but there are some beautiful melodies, and the songs really work well with the various parts of the story their paired with.
BTW: Try playing Pertrucci's part in "The Dance of Eternity"...crazy ass time in that tune..

Falling Into Infinity has some of my favorite songs. "Hell's Kitchen", Millenium, Peruvian Skies, Hollow Years, and Trial of Tears are some of the most melodic and moving songs I've heard in years. There is more "filler" grade material on that album. It's not bad, though.

Images and Words and Awake are both great too. More of that harmonized melody playing between Pertrucci and LaBrie, complimented by the keyboards.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulenc was a great experimental album with tons of good music, not always the most melodic, but I really think the lyrics and group "synergy" were pushed to the next level.

Train of Thought is probably their heaviest...for some reason I feel it just hinted at next big thing from these guys...and I'm waiting for it.

I met these guys at one of the shows I saw them do. They are genuinely nice guys who made me feel like a million bucks and really appreciated the fact that my friends and I bought their albums.
They are so much better live, it's not funny...maybe it's the energy, or the fact that you are in a stadium with people that "get it" that makes it work, but these guys deliver the goods...
See them if you can.

I have great expectations for the next studio album...I have a feeling the best is yet to come from these guys. LaBrie gets my vote as "most improved"...as he's really starting to diversify a bit.
Now, I'd just like them to blend all of their strengths together for one over-the-top masterpiece.

DT- bashers piss me off sometimes. Why bother? You don't like it, fine...tons of people worldwide do, and most have more than the average person's background in music. That over-rules anything the basher's have to say. Their's better targets out there...Take "Alter Bridge" for example...

kexodusc,

You're "dead-on" in regards to Yngwie Malmsteen's wank-fest, that's wanking in its purest form, is so annoying. DT strikes the perfect balance in their albums with just enough wanking, and they let loose a bit more during their concerts which is more appropriate. Their DVD's can improve, that's for sure. We'll see how their next "live" DVD hitting the shelves next month will compare.

I think Labrie has been "steadily" improving as a vocalist since the "Falling Into Infinty" album...

What do think about the side projects? Liquid Tension Experiment, in particular?

What's your fav DT instrumental?

kexodusc
09-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Hmmm fav instrumental's include:
Hell's Kitchen
Stream of Consciousness
Overture 1928
Dance of Eternity
and Erotomania

I guess Hell's Kitchen and it's partner "Lines in the Sand" (especially Pertrucci's solo work 1/2 way through "Lines In the Sand"), are my fav's...hard to pick though.

The performances on the DVD's are okay, I just don't like the production...no 5.1 or DTS? C'mon guys....
Liquid Tension and Transatlantic are great.
I saw Pertrucci with the G3 tour too...that's some excellent wanking...

Luis31
09-14-2004, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=kexodusc] I guess Hell's Kitchen and it's partner "Lines in the Sand" (especially Pertrucci's solo work 1/2 way through "Lines In the Sand"), are my fav's...hard to pick though.[QUOTE]

The whole "Hell's Kitchen/Lines in the Sand" is my favorite part in this album. Brilliant guitar by Petrucci, both the melody and the tone. They played it at the LA show I attended during the Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" tour, a true highlihgt. And the "haters" dare to say there is no melody on DT tunes... ha, ha, ha!!

So, you saw the G3 show with Petrucci in the lineup, wow, that's as good as G3 lineup can get.

If there was another guitar player that you'd like to see lineup with Satriani and Vai, who would that be?

N. Abstentia
09-14-2004, 03:55 PM
kexodusc, have you heard 'Snow' by Spock's Beard? I know you mentioned them above as hit & miss, but I've only heard Snow and V so I don't know.

I was completely amazed when I heard Snow. One strange thing I noticed is their sound is exactly like Dream Theater, especially on drums. Or should I say Dream Theater with a vocalist that you can actually listen to for a couple of hours without hurting your ears. You also mentioned that SFAM is right up there with Operation Mindcrime, which is exactly what I thought about Snow. Right there with the best concept albums, it even reminds me of Quadrophenia.

It's a double CD and quickly has become one of my all time favorites. Have you checked it out?

Dusty Chalk
09-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Yeah, there are quite a few of us fans of DT here on this board (I think Forever Autumn is, too). "A Change of Seasons" is a favourite, as is Metropolis 2

Troy -- I can't believe you don't like 'em!?!?! You're like one of the biggest progheads on this board. You listen to freakin' Frank Zappa, ferchris'sakes ("Who's Chris?" "I dunno."), which I find to be even more amelodic. And don't judge a book by its cover -- that's as bad as people buying into those pop-tarts.

I mean, don't get me wrong, you're "allowed" to not like them, it just really surprises me. I would think that you, of all people, would "get" them. Speed/ability/technical prowess and musical ability are not mutually exclusive.

ForeverAutumn
09-15-2004, 04:43 AM
Yeah, there are quite a few of us fans of DT here on this board (I think Forever Autumn is, too.

Hmmm. Let's see....I have six of their albums; two DVDs (although, I've only watched one); I've seen them live twice; and I'm prepared to make excuses for LaBrie's shortfalls and defend his existence in the band until the bitter end. Does that qualify me for fan status? :D

For favourite albums I would have to say Scenes from a Memory and Falling Into Infinity.

Scenes was the fist DT that I ever heard and it blew me right off my chair. This is the disk that I attribute to showing me that there was still lots of great prog out there to be discovered (PT also gets honourable mention for that discovery process). What a brilliant work.

Falling showed me that this band was capable of more melodic, shorter, catchier tunes. As much as I love Scenes, I don't find too many hooks in that disk. FII has hooks. This was the disk that I think could have brought them commercial success. I'm glad that they didn't continue in this direction -- I think that would have become tiresome --but I do love some of the songs here.

As for favourite instrumental, I'm not ready to answer that one. I only discovered DT about 18 months ago. With so much material to catch up on (not to mention all of the other new bands I've learned about from the folks here), I haven't listened to the instrumentals with enough attention to detail to pick a favourite.

Troy, love 'em or hate 'em, your post made me laugh out loud. :D

MasterCylinder
09-15-2004, 04:58 AM
For Luis31 (and the rest)............

I just returned from a "road trip" wherein I saw 3 concerts...........one of which was my first time to see Dream Theater live.

Look for my full review in a seperate post.

Dave_G
09-15-2004, 05:53 AM
I have watched three seperate DT dvd's, and you either love 'em or hate 'em or just like 'em, heck, who knows.

I don't care for the music, it's too repetitive and doesn't have any "depth", and that singer, my gawd, where on earth did they find that cat?

DT is much better when he is off stage, in my opinion.

But I appreciate their skills and talent. Maybe when they get older they will get away from the metal bent and maybe do an album of different style, but I doubt it.

Put that guitarist and drummer with the bassist from IQ, add the singer from Arena, get the dude who plays keyboards for TFK, bring in an outside songwriter and you have a supergroup.

Oh, by the way, they already did that kind of with Transatlantic, which can get as annoying as DT easily.

Dave

Troy
09-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Troy,

It's cool...

As much as I like DT, is not for everyone. Same goes for Prog rock as a whole, simply is not everyone's cup of tea. I give you "props" for renting the DVD and finding out for yourself. You mentioned their side projects. I really enjoyed the 2 Liquid Tension Experiment album. That, Tony Levin sure can play bass...

As mentioned below, I'm one of he biggest progheads on this board . . . but I'm much more of a symph / pop-prog guy than a metal guy.

Yeah, I think the LTE albums have a lot more feel than the DT albums. Is it Levin? That's part of it. It's just more fun and playful. If you like LTE, make sure you checkout the Black Light Synrome discs. Same label, same improv studio jam format with a much more fluid drummer (Terry Bozzio),a less noodly guitarist (Steve Stevens) and Levin. The BLS albums are really great, much more entertaining than LTE, IMO.

Troy -- I can't believe you don't like 'em!?!?! You're like one of the biggest progheads on this board. You listen to freakin' Frank Zappa, ferchris'sakes ("Who's Chris?" "I dunno."), which I find to be even more amelodic. And don't judge a book by its cover -- that's as bad as people buying into those pop-tarts.

Believe. See, Zappa is all over the map. Yes, he has a lot of willfully amelodic songs, but it's done with tongue planted firmly in cheek. He doesn't take it seriously and has fun with it. DT is depressingly "we are bad-ass!", the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned. Zappa counterpoints his difficult songs with fantastic popish melodies like "Sofa", "Dirty love", "Advance Romance", "Florentine Pogen" and "Muffin Man". These songs change the way I perceive the complex stuff like "RDNZL", "Sinister Footware" or "Inca Roads". DT is one dimensional.

I mean, don't get me wrong, you're "allowed" to not like them, it just really surprises me. I would think that you, of all people, would "get" them.

I DO get them. The problem is that they are too easy to "get". 3 songs in I thought "Is that all there is?"

Speed/ability/technical prowess and musical ability are not mutually exclusive.

You know I'm always the first to defend this. I'm just not seeing enough musicality to go with the technical prowess. It's one of those rare occasions where I'm with J (or mindgonehaywire or whatever his nom-de-plume is these days) on this one. From where I sit it's just empty chops and pretty hair.

kexodusc
09-15-2004, 07:36 AM
DT is depressingly "we are bad-ass!", the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned.
DT is one dimensional.

I DO get them. The problem is that they are too easy to "get". 3 songs in I thought "Is that all there is?"

From where I sit it's just empty chops and pretty hair.

LOL...I've never heard anyone call DT bad ass!!! :D Man, what a winpy town you must live in. :)

I can never get over how so many people can listen to the same things and hear the complete opposite. But then again, people pay money for Jessica Simpson albums.

I have the DT rocks vs. DT sucks battle with my friends every few weeks. They pretty much say everything you do (and alot more), and the pro-DT side always counters with "huh? have you even heard them?"
I've learned long ago not to try hard to turn prog fans onto another prog band. Usually prog rock fans have some musical talent in them and are a snobbier bunch (I teach music off and on for example, and can be quite cynical about groups I just don't like myself) than the casual rock fan.

"Bad-Ass", one dimensional, empty, easy, and "pretty-hair" are not what I think of when I think of Dream Theater...in fact, I don't see or hear any image at all. I think this has hurt them as far as marketability, etc...oh well.
Don't get me wrong, they're not my favorite band by any means, but seriously...most fans I know like them because their prog without the excess garbage, pre-packaged images, etc...

Almost sounds like you've got a real hate on for Dream Theater. This is probably what I sound like when I gripe about the Flower Kings. Weird...sounds like we share tons of the same favorite groups though...I love Zappa too, though I wouldn't put him on anywhere near as high of a pedestal as you have. Sometimes I feel Zappa was just being "different for the sake of different".

Just curious, Troy, if you only listened to three DT songs though, have you given their music enough chance? I could name 32 boring, filler Zappa tunes (probably a dozen albums), but you don't judge anything by it's worst offerings. Maybe you like the "attitude" and sarcasm in Zappa? DT isn't much for humor in their music, that's for sure...

On to the positive..What's your favorite 3 Zappa albums? Ever get to see a show?

Troy
09-15-2004, 08:25 AM
LOL...I've never heard anyone call DT bad ass!!! :D Man, what a winpy town you must live in. :)

What a set up . . . San Francisco. We'll, the burbs, anyway. Yes, known for it's "bad-assedness".

I've learned long ago not to try hard to turn prog fans onto another prog band. Usually prog rock fans have some musical talent in them and are a snobbier bunch (I teach music off and on for example, and can be quite cynical about groups I just don't like myself) than the casual rock fan.

Duly noted and I agree 100%. Most people call this strident tone a liability.

"Bad-Ass", one dimensional, empty, easy, and "pretty-hair" are not what I think of when I think of Dream Theater...in fact, I don't see or hear any image at all. I think this has hurt them as far as marketability, etc...oh well.
Don't get me wrong, they're not my favorite band by any means, but seriously...most fans I know like them because their prog without the excess garbage, pre-packaged images, etc...

Please note that I never said that they did the bad ass thing well. Neither did Spinal Tap. That was part of why they were so funny. They were posers and that's my interpretation of DT as well. I sit there and go "oh Puh-leeeez!" with a smirk on my face. You watch that video and tell me with a straight face that their hair isn't a big part of their live persona.

Almost sounds like you've got a real hate on for Dream Theater.

No, I don't really care either way. I just like to use a lot of adjectives.

This is probably what I sound like when I gripe about the Flower Kings. Weird...sounds like we share tons of the same favorite groups though...I love Zappa too, though I wouldn't put him on anywhere near as high of a pedestal as you have. Sometimes I feel Zappa was just being "different for the sake of different".

I prefer the best parts of the Flower Kings to anything by DT, yes. But that's a band that needs some firm management. Someone needs to take the reins away from Roine and force them to spend more time crafting and editing the songs.

Yeah, I've heard that about Zappa many times. Zappa deserves that higher place on the pedestal because of all the innovation, all the "being different", his ability to amuse and entertain while making bold musical statements in myriad styles, and his uncanny ear for talent in sidemen. Because of his abiltity in so many disciplines, it's easy to dismiss so much of his catalog because "That stuff isn't my style", but the fact is, the guy wanted to do it all and was able to pull it all off. The guy is terribly misunderstood.

Just curious, Troy, if you only listened to three DT songs though, have you given their music enough chance? I could name 32 boring, filler Zappa tunes (probably a dozen albums), but you don't judge anything by it's worst offerings. Maybe you like the "attitude" and sarcasm in Zappa? DT isn't much for humor in their music, that's for sure...

Actually I listened to most of about 7 songs. I skipped the videos and watched only the live songs. There was one instrumental that I enjoyed ok. As Dave G says, they ARE much better when that "singer" is off the stage. I've tried several of their CDs and used to work with a raving DT fanatic. I HAVE heard the band.

Yes, a large part of whether you like ANY music is attitude. I really dislike artists that take themselves too seriously and I get a LOT of that with DT. Zappa's off-hand and self-deprecating style offsets the technical ability and in fact, makes it that much more amazing.

On to the positive..What's your favorite 3 Zappa albums? Ever get to see a show?

For a newbie I'd say "Sheik Yerbouti", "One Size Fits All" and "The Best Band you never heard in your Life". You'll get excellent examples of most of the styles that he worked in altho there's no do-wop or orchestral classical on these albums . . . I like the "You can't do that on stage anymore" series a lot too. And "Live in New York". And "Zoot Allures". I like the more rock oriented stuff.

I had a chance to see him in '77 and blew it. 2 sets of friends were going to see 2 different concerts the same night. I opted for the Sammy Hagar show . . . I was 17. What can I tell ya?

kexodusc
09-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Ouch...Sammy Hagar over Zappa....you never really recover from something like that, do ya. :D

I'm some glad I passed on Oasis to see Bon Jovi too!!! :rolleyes: