Did a divx-movie just ruin my speaker? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did a divx-movie just ruin my speaker?

akerman
12-09-2003, 02:44 AM
Hi - I'm in a mess, and need some help..

Yesterday, I had just sat down, to watch a divx-movie (encoded with ac3 5-channel surround), but within 45 seconds of the movie, my left speaker gave a semi-loud crack. I took off the front, and saw that the small dome in the middle of the lower bass-unit (there are two 8" bass-units in each of my speakers), was bent inwards, like ít had been sucked inwards. It's still there today, doesn't look like it's going to "repair" itself..

Can anybody tell my what happend, why it happened? And how do I fix it.. I am really terrified of playing any music, let alone watching a movie now, because I fear I will ruin the speaker completely..

System specs: Denon PMA-1500R stereo amp, and two Dali 8008 floor-speakers. The volume was only at a 1/3 when it happened!

joel2762
12-09-2003, 03:04 AM
These domes are called Dust Caps. They prevent dust from entering the speaker's magnet. You can install new ones by buying them off parts express, but one fix I know of is a vacum. Try to suck it out with a vacum, it worked for me before..Having this dent usually doesn't affect speakers. They still play fine, but seeming as yours made a crack and sucked itself in..I'm not sure..They should still work fine, but I have no clue how it could suck itself in...Maybe somone else does? :confused: Maybe s certain air movement just sucked it in and the crack you heard was simply the dust cap moving like that. The speakers should still work fine like this.

akerman
12-09-2003, 03:35 AM
Thx for the reply :)

Yeah I'm pretty sure the crack originated from the dust cap "inverting"... looking at, and feeling the material, it sounds like the kind of crack it would make, if it was bent inwards a bit. I think I can fix it, by borrowing a syringe off some doctor, and blowing a bit of air into the dust cap, the air pressure should straighten it out again!

I am worried though.. what made it crack in the first place? If it was something with the movie or my setup, maybe it will happen again, and this time it might ruin the speaker totally!

This Guy
12-09-2003, 06:55 AM
I'd check all your connections and make sure evrything is tight, maybe the divx movie was recorded bad or something, but the speaker producing sound cannot make a dust cap dented, perhaps you accidentally bumped the speaker or if you have kids or pets they could have done it. This loud"crack" cannot hurt a speaker, for speakers don't know if they are producing a crack or music or anything else. The dented dustcap on the woofer will not effect the sound at all, however if this happens to a tweeter or midrange (domes)you could be in trouble. I'd play stuff on your other sources such as your cd or dvd player and see if the "cracking continues".

-Joey

stereophonicfan
12-10-2003, 01:37 AM
I wouldn't use a needle to restore the state of your inverted conus. You would conpromise the solidity.

Better to use a vacuum-cleaner