NEW MEGADETH!!! The Legend Continues... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEGADETH!!! The Legend Continues...

kexodusc
09-14-2004, 06:50 AM
I never would have thought this possible.
I just picked this album up late last night (know a store owner...shhh)....this is easily their best album since Countdown...probably since Rust In Peace. I'm not making this up.
Marty Freidman is gone, but Chris Poland (surprise, surprise) is back, and this album rocks. It's not their best work, but considering the band's been around 20 years, whoah.
A definite must for any fan of Megadeth, or for the general heavy metal appreciator.

I'm really sursprised at the melodies Mustaine pulled out of thin air.
To be perfectly honest, after the so-so pop-rock "Risk", and lame-retro "The World Needs a Hero" I wasn't expecting much...but this is quite possibly their most melodic album.

Mustaine deserves some praise here...after being diagnosed with a lame arm after his accident, the time for personal reflection, rest, and focus on songwriting make for an amazing comeback. Listen to the intro to track 2 "Die Dead Enough", and it's clear, there's newfound creativity in Megadeth.

While I don't expect this to dominate the heavy metal scene like Countdown did 12 years ago, this will definitely raise some eyebrows, and is easily better than alot of the better metal that's been released in the last few years.

Metallica: EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT. Megadeth has a true hit in the 00's...something Metallica can't say, and hasn't had since 91!!!

-Jar-
09-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Metallica: EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT. Megadeth has a true hit in the 00's...something Metallica can't say, and hasn't had since 91!!!

I wonder if Dave's little chat with Lars (as seen in the movie SOME KIND OF MONSTER) had any impact on his descsion to get back into the studio. Dave was very angry and bitter towards Lars, maybe not towards Lars, but just bitter about his whole situation in general, about the history of his band vs. Metallica, etc. I'm very curious to hear the new album. I'm glad to see that Dave decided to keep it going.

-jar

mad rhetorik
09-14-2004, 09:01 AM
Sounds good, I'll have to check it out. BTW, has Mustaine's arm recovered to the point where he can play guitar? Does he play at all on the new release? Be a real shame to see that level of talent go to waste.

Dusty Chalk
09-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Got it. Thanks for the "heads-up". Haven't listened to it, yet.

WRT injury -- maybe he did it all in ProTools. Kidding.

kexodusc
09-18-2004, 04:27 AM
Dave is playing, and he doesn't sound like he's lost a step, but from an excerpt of an interview I found, he's a bit limited, and has to take greater care of himself now though...but let's face it, Dave Mustaine at even 75% is probably much better than most at 110%.
Chris Poland is amazing on this album.

I really can't get over how awesome this is. I never would have thought it could happen. Judging by reactions in the first week, I'm not the only one thinking this. This could be Megadeth's 2nd best, maybe even their best album to date. It's a perfect blend of all the right elements from over the years.
Dave's lyrics have never been as good throughout an entire album. The song-writing is superior. You have to think the recent crap he went through with the Metallica boys inspired him, drove him, or whatever.

This could very well be the best "Metal" comeback ever!!! (I realize it's early, but this is that damn good)

Finch Platte
09-18-2004, 04:37 AM
...Chris Poland is who?

fp

kexodusc
09-18-2004, 04:46 AM
...Chris Poland is who?

fp
BLASPHEMY!!! :D

Chris was the original guitarist with Dave in the band back in the day for the Killing Is My Business, and Peace Sells albums.
And he's awesome!!!!

What are ya, a Megadeth newbie??? :)