Where, when, and on what gear do you listen most? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where, when, and on what gear do you listen most?

BillB
09-14-2004, 05:03 AM
I've got two very nice systems at home that I enjoy very much but it's not where I listen to music most. That's done at work through a simple but great sounding Tivoli Audio Model One radio tuned to 88.5FM WXPN which plays a wide variety of music, introducing me to artists and genre's I'd otherwise never know existed.

Bill

Worf101
09-14-2004, 05:33 AM
1. My main HT and music rig in the living room...

Onkyo 898 Receiver
Platinum Audio Studio 3's as mains
Ohm Walsh 2's as rears
Denon 3200 DVD
Yammie 675 CD
35-In Mitsubishi CRT
Klipsh C-7 center
HSU VTF-3 Sub

2. My Bedroom system

Onkyo 797 Receiver
Platinum Solo's as mains
BIC center and rears
Yammie DVD player
HSU VTF-2 sub

3. Computer room system
Onkyo 501 for DVD and analog fronts.
30 year old AKAI 1030 for analog rears
Logik nearfield monitors as fronts
Allison 4's as rears
Audigy 2Z Platinum soundcard

Believe it or not I wind up listening more to music on my computer system than anywhere else. The main rigs for TV and DVD's. Bedroom system's for DVD and.... you know else. When I'm surfin' or typing... I rely on my computer system to give me superior sound than I'd get in your standard "Computer Speakers in a Box".

Da Worfster :cool:

DcnBlu
09-14-2004, 07:00 AM
For everyday radio listening, I use my gaming computer and Rhapsody online radio. After work, or when I really need to unwind I go to my main system. Now that I think about it, I actually only use it 4-5 hrs. per week..hummm....

BillB
09-14-2004, 08:04 AM
DcnBlu,

Surprising isn't it? I listen to my main rig about the same amount as you, 4-5 hours per week. My second system gets the least use, probably 5 hours/month. Curiously neither system has a tuner.

The work system is by far where I listen to music most...45 hours per week. Come to think of it, it's probably the best $100 I've ever spent on electronics gear. Occasionally I'll use my portable DiscMan with it but 99.5% of the time it's the great public radio station here in Philly.

Bill

E-Stat
09-14-2004, 08:21 AM
I've got two very nice systems at home that I enjoy very much but it's not where I listen to music most. That's done at work through a simple but great sounding Tivoli Audio Model One radio tuned to 88.5FM WXPN which plays a wide variety of music, introducing me to artists and genre's I'd otherwise never know existed.
Like you, I spend more time listening to another system other than my main one. For me, it is my computer based audio system using Monsoon planars and a Turtle Beach sound card. Content is either streaming audio to the local classical stations or to Musicmatch where I have ripped all my CDs to MP3 format. I particularly like the "auto DJ" mode that randomly chooses tracks. When I putter around in the garage or work in the yard, I play the vintage system. It is only at night that I listen to the main system downstairs.

rw

DcnBlu
09-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Smiling now :)

Bill, I agree. My $128 buck Philip mp3 player works harder for me than my main. Think I will move a track or two from my laptop to it before the gym. Feeling guilty, I will spend a few hours listening to music on the main system tonight.

Anyone else find themselves in this boat? :confused:

topspeed
09-14-2004, 10:15 AM
We all have to work pretty hard to afford our toys ;), so it would only be logical that our work rigs would experience the most use. I'm no exception. My office system consists of a Cambridge Audio Azur 540a integrated mated to a 540c cd player driving Mission 780A Argonauts. It's on probably 10-12 hrs/day, 5 days/wk. My main rig at the house is on maybe 10-15 hrs/ wk depending on what book I'm reading. The better the book, the more I've got the tunes flowing. The br system is only in the mornings channeling Sirius radio while I'm getting ready for wk and on the rare weekend when I can get an hour or two to myself. Now that I think about it, on the weekends my barely working Panny boombox (you have to slap it a coupla times to get both channels working :D )in the garage gets the most use.

piece-it pete
09-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Howdy, folks!

Truth be told prolly my car stereo, just a ford head unit, factory 6x8 coax fronts and Infinity 6x9 triax rears. The Infinities are decent, a bit boom-sizzly but with the background noise level....

Friday night's the cranker, I've got my neighbors broken in :D , Dual 604 tt or less often a midlevel Philips DVD player doing cd duty through a Hafler 110 pre, Marantz 1152dc amp section, homemade CAT5 wires (blasphemy!! lol. but they're 10 ga equiv) to my well liked DQ-10s. For the "old-timers", I've temporarily taken the Hsus out for maintenence :( .

Say about 2-3 hours there. Saturday I usually hit lighter classical and the electic stuff off and on, say about 2 hours average. Sunday gospel, "serious" classical and - yep - polka (gasp! But I live in the perogie capital of the world!!) for a coupla three, so hey what do you know, I get about 6-8 hours a week, that's more than I thought! Great thread :) !!!

Pete

BillB
09-14-2004, 02:03 PM
So now that we all know that topspeed's a big-bossman shall we asume he allows his subordinates a bit of musical freedom at work? Or is he yanking our chain and working out of his home?

I don't feel guilty at all for neglecting my main rig, just found it interesting how much of a difference the time/money ratio was.

Thankfully my commute is only 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. It's Stern in the morning and sports talk in the afternoon. The stock Subaru system handles talk radio well.

Bill

topspeed
09-14-2004, 04:21 PM
So now that we all know that topspeed's a big-bossman shall we asume he allows his subordinates a bit of musical freedom at work? Or is he yanking our chain and working out of his home?I didn't really count the H/K sat/sub system hooked up to my Dell in the home office because quite honestly, the only thing I listen through that is ESPN highlights when I miss SportsCenter.

FWIW Bill, the only reason I have this (admittedly overkill) rig in my office is because the big Missions were exiled by the Boss from my bedroom when we bought new furniture. Hey, they had to go somewhere, right? At least this is what I keep telling myself :D. As far as my "subordinates" (I call them teammates, corny yes, but apropos because I'd be dead without 'em) they can listen to whatever they want, whenever they want, as long as it doesn't bother clients and they get the job done.

BTW, this is a cool thread and nice change of pace.

RGA
09-14-2004, 06:51 PM
For a long time I was mainly listening to my headphone rig. I have not listened to it for 3 months because it is simply utterly outclassed by my main rig(and sounds rather pathetic by comparison). Thus my main rig is what I most listen to now. I'd sell the cans but I'll need them when I go to Japan for a year or two so I'll suffer.

Occasionally, I will listen to my Wharfedales and Marantz receiver in the main room if I'm watching a movie with other people because that room is bigger and has a couch.

Wireworm5
09-14-2004, 08:07 PM
I settle down to listen to music after midnight for approx 5 hours, if there is nothing else worth watching on tv. I am fortunate that my home contains the sound and I am not bothering the neighbors even with the volume cranked.
I've grown tired of my music collection so I'm currently going through a pile of music my friend recorded over the years looking for stuff I like. I then lower the volume and listen to CBC Galaxie Ambient channel on Sat. as I fall asleep.

s dog
09-14-2004, 09:35 PM
I work 2 shift so when i get up i only have about 3 hours untill i go to work so i watch the 19'' tv on top of the refrigerator mon- fri sometime i get in a little 2 channel music before work and after , sat and sun is when i turn the main system on for football movies ect, about 6 or 7 hours a weekend,