HDTV Basic Questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Basic Questions

hershon
09-13-2004, 11:40 PM
I totally confess my ignorance here. If one has HDTV do you need to pay the Cable Company (Time Warner here in Chatsworth, CA) extra money to receive broadcasts in HDTV? What percent of TV shows are broadcast in HDTV- rough guess? Are all sports events (NFL, NBA, college hoops and football) broadcast in HDTV? Can old movies be broadcast in HDTV, such as black and white & will I notice a difference?

Hairsonfire
09-14-2004, 03:52 AM
I totally confess my ignorance here. If one has HDTV do you need to pay the Cable Company (Time Warner here in Chatsworth, CA) extra money to receive broadcasts in HDTV? What percent of TV shows are broadcast in HDTV- rough guess? Are all sports events (NFL, NBA, college hoops and football) broadcast in HDTV? Can old movies be broadcast in HDTV, such as black and white & will I notice a difference?

Based on my recent limited experience, I will do my best to answer your queries:

1. If one has HDTV do you need to pay the Cable Company (Time Warner here in Chatsworth, CA) extra money to receive broadcasts in HDTV?

In my area, Newport, RI, I have Cox Cable and it costs a whopping 14 dollars extra a month over my existing service of about 40 dollars.

2. What percent of TV shows are broadcast in HDTV- rough guess?
Hard to say, right now, for me, there are only 7 channels in HDTV in this area; ABC, NBC, ESPN HD, WGBH HD (PBS), Discovery HD, and two channels called INDEMAND HD. Of course, you could also subscribe to the Movie Channels in HD (HBO, Showtime, etc.) but that is an extra cost (no thanks - for now).

3. Are all sports events (NFL, NBA, college hoops and football) broadcast in HDTV?

I am not a sports fan but there seems to be an awful lot of sports events in HD.

4. Can old movies be broadcast in HDTV, such as black and white & will I notice a difference?

And how! There have been several movies on recently and it is nothing short of startling the level of detail that is revealed. They were showing "Clash of the Titans" which I loved as a kid - lots of cheesy special effects like a flying horse that looks totally fake now - but in HD. It's a bit disappointing to me in a way - HDTV looks better than most of the DVDs that I own. A few approach but don't quite capture the color saturation and detail - "5th Element Superbit" comes to mind. However, I am sure that I have read about HD DVD coming eventually. Hope this answers some of your questions.

V/R Hairsonfire

traut
09-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Hershon,

I don't have an HDTV myself, but I have a few friends that do. Here's how it works in Dallas (Comcast cable company):

If one has HDTV do you need to pay the Cable Company (Time Warner here in Chatsworth, CA) extra money to receive broadcasts in HDTV?

It depends. For Fox, ABC, NBC, and CBS (and any other stations that broadcast over the air in your area), you can receive the HD signals through standard rabbit ears, or a rooftop antenna. For ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD, HBOHD, etc. you have to pay $5 per month on top of the digital cable fee.

Are all sports events (NFL, NBA, college hoops and football) broadcast in HDTV?

The answer to this question, dissapointingly, is a big fat NO. I'd say it's arround 50% right now. ESPN is very solid, since they have a station dedicated to it. Monday night football is in HD, but ABC is very weak in their college football coverage (I don't think they do any in HD). CBS shows about one CFB game per week. Fox usually shows their Saturday baseball games in HD. I can't comment on NBA, but CBS was decent with their HD coverage last March Madness, and will probably get better next year. NFL is probably 50/50 on Fox and CBS. I've got two friends that have had HDTV for a year to a year and a half. The coverage in sports is better this year than last, and I imagine will continue to increase year by year.

Hope this helps :D

hershon
09-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Do you think its worth buying HDTV as I take it you've seen it at your friends places?

Hershon,

I don't have an HDTV myself, but I have a few friends that do. Here's how it works in Dallas (Comcast cable company):

If one has HDTV do you need to pay the Cable Company (Time Warner here in Chatsworth, CA) extra money to receive broadcasts in HDTV?

It depends. For Fox, ABC, NBC, and CBS (and any other stations that broadcast over the air in your area), you can receive the HD signals through standard rabbit ears, or a rooftop antenna. For ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD, HBOHD, etc. you have to pay $5 per month on top of the digital cable fee.

Are all sports events (NFL, NBA, college hoops and football) broadcast in HDTV?

The answer to this question, dissapointingly, is a big fat NO. I'd say it's arround 50% right now. ESPN is very solid, since they have a station dedicated to it. Monday night football is in HD, but ABC is very weak in their college football coverage (I don't think they do any in HD). CBS shows about one CFB game per week. Fox usually shows their Saturday baseball games in HD. I can't comment on NBA, but CBS was decent with their HD coverage last March Madness, and will probably get better next year. NFL is probably 50/50 on Fox and CBS. I've got two friends that have had HDTV for a year to a year and a half. The coverage in sports is better this year than last, and I imagine will continue to increase year by year.

Hope this helps :D

ericl
09-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Hey Guys,

Myself, and I am sure many others are in the same boat as Hershon. I too am considering buying an HD set soon and I have had many of these same questions. So maybe it would be a good idea to put together an FAQ on the subject, that I can stick to the top of this forum. Does anyone have any ideas for questions, answers, resources?

-Eric

traut
09-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Do you think its worth buying HDTV as I take it you've seen it at your friends places?
I've got to say, the clearness of HDef is pretty amazing, but that hasn't been enough for me to make the leap myself. I am planning to buy one, but the room I'm going to put it in is fairly large, and anything less than a 50 inch won't do it justice. I'm just not willing to drop that much money on a TV. If the prices drop below 2 large ones next year, I may take the plunge.

If you watch a lot of TV and DVDs, you have a progressive scan DVD player, and you have the money, I'd say sure, it is definately worth it.

sy_lu
09-14-2004, 12:20 PM

First, check to see how is your UHF over the air reception. If you can get decent UHF signal (very likely in your area), try to get HDTV tuner box instead of cable. In my area, the VHF is very poor and I need to get cable but I have good UHF signal and able to get all the HDTV over the air channels in the LA area. My cable company wants additonal fees for these basic over the air HD ch. and does not offer any more HD ch. (unless you want to pay even more for HBO etc). The saving on the additonal fees already pays the cost of the box.

HDTV is far better than regular TV on the sports you mentioned.

wasch_24
09-14-2004, 12:25 PM
I have had my 65" Mitsubishi HDTV and Voom since March. I will be glad to provide as much insight as possible.

The majority of the folks I know and chat with in forums like this get their HDTV via the local cable company. Cable companies vary throughout the U.S. but for the most part you can get all of your local stations that are HD (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB) plus ESPN-HD, DHDT (Discovery HD Theater) and either HDNet or INHD for a nominal fee in addition to what you currently pay for digital cable. The cable company will need to 'install' a different STB (Set Top Box) then you currently have.

If you get an HDTV with an integrated tuner you can install an antenna and receive the HD broadcast from the networks for free. I would recommend that you visit www.antennaweb.org and input your zip code and select digital stations only. These will typically be UHF stations. That website is fairly accurate but like anything on the internet must not be interpreted as the final authority. The color system noted refers to the type of antenna you will most likely need to receive the stations in your area. Some folks are able to use rabbit ears on top of the TV, some folks can put one in their attic, and some need to erect an antenna on the roof. It seems old school but it is the same if not better, picture and sound quality you would get from the cable companies HD feed.

As far as Satellite goes, Voom offers the most HD channels but you have to be able to use an antenna to get your local HD stations. Voom has 35 HD channels available not including what you are or are not able to pick up with an antenna. They will also install, or try their best to install the antenna for you. Check out Voom's (http://www.voom.com) website and compare their line-up to DirecTV (http://www.directv.com) and Dishnetwork (http://www.dishnetwork.com/).

Fell free to ask any specific questions. I will check back periodically.

EDIT: I forgot to address the sports question. This past weekend in my area their were three HD college games on Saturday on ESPN-HD, four NFL games on Sunday; two on FOX, one on CBS, and one on ESPN-HD. Monday Night Football was HD on ABC.

hershon
09-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks for your input. I followed up with my cable company and the price is only $6.95 a month for basic HDTV and that includes a tuner and whatever. What would be the cheapest 46" or above HDTV ready TV you'd recommend?
I have had my 65" Mitsubishi HDTV and Voom since March. I will be glad to provide as much insight as possible.

The majority of the folks I know and chat with in forums like this get their HDTV via the local cable company. Cable companies vary throughout the U.S. but for the most part you can get all of your local stations that are HD (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB) plus ESPN-HD, DHDT (Discovery HD Theater) and either HDNet or INHD for a nominal fee in addition to what you currently pay for digital cable. The cable company will need to 'install' a different STB (Set Top Box) then you currently have.

If you get an HDTV with an integrated tuner you can install an antenna and receive the HD broadcast from the networks for free. I would recommend that you visit www.antennaweb.org and input your zip code and select digital stations only. These will typically be UHF stations. That website is fairly accurate but like anything on the internet must not be interpreted as the final authority. The color system noted refers to the type of antenna you will most likely need to receive the stations in your area. Some folks are able to use rabbit ears on top of the TV, some folks can put one in their attic, and some need to erect an antenna on the roof. It seems old school but it is the same if not better, picture and sound quality you would get from the cable companies HD feed.

As far as Satellite goes, Voom offers the most HD channels but you have to be able to use an antenna to get your local HD stations. Voom has 35 HD channels available not including what you are or are not able to pick up with an antenna. They will also install, or try their best to install the antenna for you. Check out Voom's (http://www.voom.com) website and compare their line-up to DirecTV (http://www.directv.com) and Dishnetwork (http://www.dishnetwork.com/).

Fell free to ask any specific questions. I will check back periodically.

EDIT: I forgot to address the sports question. This past weekend in my area their were three HD college games on Saturday on ESPN-HD, four NFL games on Sunday; two on FOX, one on CBS, and one on ESPN-HD. Monday Night Football was HD on ABC.

wasch_24
09-15-2004, 04:52 AM
This is only my opinion, some may agree and others will disagree, but I prefer Mitsubishi HDTV's over any other manufacturer.

Also, in my opnion, CRT RPTV's produce the most appealing picture to me. Any of the thin types, LCD or Plasma, just seem to be lacking in the overall sharpness of the picture.

If you have the space for a TV that is about 2 feet deep then I would say go and try to find a 2003-2004 48" Mitsu SilverPlus Series (ws-48413) for around $1500. The next level down (ws-48313) is $200 less due to having the next level down CRT. Both have HDCP compliant DVI inputs and enough (2) 480p/1080i component inputs for an XBOX/PS2 and a DVD player if your A/V receiver doesn't do the switching.

With the Mitsu's you need to verify whether or not your cable company's STB outputs all programming at 1080i because otherwise you will need to find a 720p native TV. The Mitsu's with internal tuners will receive and convert 720p signals internatlly but via the DVI and component inputs onliy 480i/480p/1080i will work. To date FOX, ABC, and ESPN-HD are 720p.

I would reccomend setting a budget and then physically looking at every option available to you in your area. Preferably side by side comparisons. Don't try to squeeze the biggest thing you can into your budget. Try and get the best looking TV you can find within your budget. If the TV looks good in the store it is only going to look better at home. Especially after you use Avia or DVE on it. With HD progromming you want the best picture possible.

ericl
09-15-2004, 09:02 AM
I have a question or two:

I'm looking at this hd crt set, the el cheapo "Sanyo" line at Walmart (ugh!).

It has a built in hd tuner. Are these tuners only capable of receiving OTA broadcasts, or will they be able to receive cable hdtv broadcasts when they become available?

also, anyone have any experience with the reliability of this brand? I am wary, but it seems like it should be hard to screw up a crt these days.

thanks,
eric

wasch_24
09-15-2004, 09:15 AM
I have a question or two:

I'm looking at this hd crt set, the el cheapo "Sanyo" line at Walmart (ugh!).

It has a built in hd tuner. Are these tuners only capable of receiving OTA broadcasts, or will they be able to receive cable hdtv broadcasts when they become available?

also, anyone have any experience with the reliability of this brand? I am wary, but it seems like it should be hard to screw up a crt these days.

thanks,
eric
The HD tuner is only for digital OTA reception. Some TV's have QAM tuners that can receive unscrambled digital cable and other have slots that a card provided by the cable company can be inserted into which will unscramble the signal. In my area the COX send their HD signal out in the same format as the SD digital staions.

A direct view CRT of any brand should be reliable enough if the price is right.