Configuration Question, Please Advise [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Configuration Question, Please Advise

the hand of boredom
12-09-2003, 01:11 AM
Hey Guys (and Girls) of the Forum:

Our TV arrives Tuesday morning and we were going to set it amongst our two-channel system until our basement is finished and we set up the 5.1 system.

As far as the wiring goes, we will link the DVDp to the RECEIVER via optical. Now we currenlty use the High Pass option with the X30 unit between the REC and AMP, with Low Pass to the subs. Should we just leave it this way and set the MAINS to LARGE? Or should we be utilizing the LFE output from the REC to the subs. If we want to get the most out of the subs, then we should go with the LFE option right? Is there any way to configure so that we utilise LFE and High Pass?

This is a music first system, and the video requirements are just temporary. We still want to get the most out of the subs.

Thanks for the help.

THOB

Feanor
12-10-2003, 02:20 PM
... As far as the wiring goes, we will link the DVDp to the RECEIVER via optical. Now we currenlty use the High Pass option with the X30 unit between the REC and AMP, with Low Pass to the subs. Should we just leave it this way and set the MAINS to LARGE? Or should we be utilizing the LFE output from the REC to the subs. If we want to get the most out of the subs, then we should go with the LFE option right? Is there any way to configure so that we utilise LFE and High Pass? ...

You don't seem to be getting much feed back on this, so here's my opinion -- not necessarily definitive advise.

No, I don't think you can have it both ways.

First, let me understand what your saying. I.e. in your two channel system, you using a Paradigm X-30 to drive the sub from 2-channel pre-amp outputs. Right? Now you want to use a HT receiver to provide HT (DD or DTS) as well as stereo sound to the 2-channel speaker set up. Right?

If I understand you on both points, I think you have a couple of options.
1) Set the main speakers to "Large", center & surrounds to "None", sub to "Yes"; drive the sub directly from the LFE output ot the receiver and the speakers directly from the receiver's speaker connection. This will give you the best HT sound and pretty good stereo depending on how the receiver manages bass from 2-channel signals.
2) Set main, centre, and surrounds as above and the sub to "None"; feed the X-30 from the 2-channel pre-outs (as now presumably) and thence the sub and speakers. This will give you the best stereo sound and pretty decent HT sound too, again depending on the receiver's bass management.

If you are already set up with the X-30, why not go with option 2?

the hand of boredom
12-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Feanor,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct with all your assumptions about my current configuration.

I was thinking that the two options you gave were the only ones to consider. I'm torn as to which to choose. I know that both will work. It's just a matter of deciding if I want to sacrifice HT or music quality.

THOB