Strange buzzing noise from speakers...Help!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Strange buzzing noise from speakers...Help!!

Torke
09-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Hi. Every night at about 6:00pm my speakers start buzzing...its not usually a very low buzz, more of a midrange noise, that is especially hard on the tweeters. It only makes the noise at night so far as I can tell. Sometime during the night it stops, because it isn't there in the morning. I have been turning my system off at night since I noticed it. I think it has something to do with the apartment that I live in. It is old and the wiring may be old. My stereo only makes the noise when my amp is on (if I turn my cd player and pre amp off it still makes the noise.) I am wondering if there is some way to fix this problem (such as buying new power cords). I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has ever had this problem.

Just in case this helps, here is my system:

Rega Planet 2000
Adcom GFP-750
Classe CA-100
Paradigm Monitor 7v.2
MIT Terminator 4 interconnects
Tara Labs Prism Bi-wire
Panamax 6 (surge protector)

Any help will be appreciated. I can really only listen to my system at night and this has really made listening unenjoyable.

cam
09-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Try using an extension cord and hook up to another circuit. If you try the very next plug-in in your room, that may not work because it may be on the existing circuit your having problems now. You have to do trial and elimination to rule out the problem. Where your amp is hookd up now, turn your breaker off so that plug-in doesn't work anymore then use one that does. Depending on how your house is wired you may need a long extension cord coming from another room. You have to rule out one thing at a time.

Worf101
09-14-2004, 05:23 AM
as if something is on a timer either in the house or on that circuit. Try and sleuth out what's coming on in the house when that noise starts. If it's not IN the house it might be something wrong with the local electric service. Checik it out, could be street lights coming on or some such...

Da Worfster

robin_v
09-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Make sure that all of your components share a common earth connection. It sounds like you might be getting interference via your mains. The only way to eliminate that is to use an UPS.