How to hook up old Pioneer tt to my system? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to hook up old Pioneer tt to my system?

magster
09-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi all,
I have a Pioneer PL-L800 tt (ca. early 1980's) that I'd like to hook up to my stereo system. I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 130 receiver and Definitive bipolar tower speakers. The tt works fine, but volume is very low. I assume the elderly tt doesn't put out as much power as it needs to for my current system. Is there a way to work around this so I can hear my records at a normal level?! :o Would appreciate any feedback!!

N. Abstentia
09-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Does your receiver have a phono input? If not, you'll need to buy a phono preamp. You can get one on Ebay for less than $20, or get a really nice one for a couple of grand. Personally I prefer the $20 one :)

magster
09-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks! After a little more searching and examining my receiver (and before checking your reply), I discovered this is exactly the problem....Guess I'll be getting a preamp in the near future! :-)

Geoffcin
09-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks! After a little more searching and examining my receiver (and before checking your reply), I discovered this is exactly the problem....Guess I'll be getting a preamp in the near future! :-)

I have a PS Audio IV preamp and the phono section is top notch. There's a stand alone PS Audio Phono preamp on ebay right now; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5719778137&rd=1

royphil345
09-16-2004, 03:13 AM
That PS Audio looks fantastic for the price. If you're not looking to spend that much, this preamp is a steal. http://www.audioreplay.net/tc750pp.html I've owned this one. Low noise and has an RIAA accuracy of + - .5 db which equals many of the more expensive "budget audiophile" preamps. I later upgraded and sold it, but sometimes wish I had it around to try with my latest setup. Sounded very nice and actually had a little more gain than the phono stage I use now. This same unit is sold under a couple other brand names (Rek-O-Kut and Esoteric Sound) for around $80.00 shipped, so this is a great deal.

Would probably stay away from the $29.00 variety of phono stages. Usually won't even give you the RIAA specs. (The RIAA curve is an EQ curve that records are recorded with and needs to be corrected by the phono preamp) Noise specs usually don't look too good either (in the 50-60 something db range) higher is better.

axelsrd
11-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Does your receiver have a phono input? If not, you'll need to buy a phono preamp. You can get one on Ebay for less than $20, or get a really nice one for a couple of grand. Personally I prefer the $20 one :)

I have the same problem with low volume with my 1970's yamaha turntable. However, my Denon 2803 DOES have a phono input. My owners manual for TT hookup shows a picture of a TT with MM cartridge. It also has a note that says something to the effect that..."this unit will not accept MC cartridges without a head amplifier or transformer" or some such thing.

The cartridge that came with the table was worn so badly that I ordered a new AT-120 which is an MM cartridge. Do I need a phono amp???

Thanks
Randy

slate1
11-03-2004, 02:18 PM
If your Denon does indeed have a phono input then the AT-120 or any other MM should play fine through it. The AT-120's output is 5mv so you should be good.

vr6ofpain
11-11-2004, 03:36 PM
I ended up going with one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5731134240&rd=1