WIN XP Service Pack 2 - Good or Bad? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : WIN XP Service Pack 2 - Good or Bad?

Kursun
09-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Last month my new PC had a problem and I had to use my old PC (P3/850) for a while. While at it I installed service pack 2, then some problems started happening.
* Software for my Epson Perfection 3170 Photo scanner stopped functioning
* My PC seemed to slow down perceptibly, started acting strange
When I uninstalled service pack 2 (took a long time...) and reinstalled scanner software the PC was back to normal.

My question is have you tried the XP Service Pack 2? Was my experience unique to my old PC? Now that I am back to my new PC (P4/3.2) should I re-install the service pack 2?

markw
09-13-2004, 01:56 PM
I loaded a "update" on my XP machine and had to restore it to the prior version to use the internet.

And, as ifthat wash't enough of a hint, I loaded the latest/greatest update to my other machine, running 98se. It hasn't booted since. It gets past scandisk and then promptly shows the BSOD with an exeption error. Microsoft says to upgrade to XP. riiiiiiiiight.

Be afraid.... be very afraid...

copperslay3
10-13-2004, 12:38 AM
Service pack 2 removed my keyboard from the original from-the-manufacturer-bios on my other 'puter.......along with several other things. Uninstalled....went to earlier version.......nothing. Tried everything-no can do. I wouldn't touch another one of their updates with a ten-foot-pole.
Copper

Kursun
10-13-2004, 02:33 AM
Service pack 2 removed my keyboard from the original from-the-manufacturer-bios on my other 'puter.......along with several other things. Uninstalled....went to earlier version.......nothing. Tried everything-no can do. I wouldn't touch another one of their updates with a ten-foot-pole.
CopperThank you for your response. I did however went on to try it on my new PC, after taking a Norton Ghost backup. So far I don't have any problems. Must have been a bios problem of my other PC.