Hdtv Format? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hdtv Format?

juneaudrey
09-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Hello All,

What format does FOX-HD use? While watching football on Sunday, The game on NBC-HD was awesome. 1080i. Swithching to the game on FOX-HD, the picture was just okay. Do anyone know which format FOX-HD is using? It was not 1080i. But both channels was DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1!

I was hopling the EAGLES game would look better than the REDSKINS on Fox-HD. Fox-HD had lots of technical issues during the game also. No problems on NBC-HD or ESPN-HD.

june

woodman
09-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Hello All,

What format does FOX-HD use? While watching football on Sunday, The game on NBC-HD was awesome. 1080i. Swithching to the game on FOX-HD, the picture was just okay. Do anyone know which format FOX-HD is using? It was not 1080i. But both channels was DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1!

I was hopling the EAGLES game would look better than the REDSKINS on Fox-HD. Fox-HD had lots of technical issues during the game also. No problems on NBC-HD or ESPN-HD.

june

There's a very slim chance that I could be mistaken about this - but as far as I know the FOX network has yet to start any HiDef broadcasting at all. They do transmit 16:9 ratio pix - but in the 480p format of DTV.

So, that is why the image quality that you saw on the FOX broadcast was merely OK, when the image quality on NBC was "awesome".

Write ol' Rupert Murdoch a nasty letter telling him in no uncertain terms that his network (and his business ethics) SUCK! Not that it will be likely to make any difference in how Rupert conducts his business - but it might make you feel that at least you expressed your disappointment and dissatisfaction with the crummy FOX network.

juneaudrey
09-14-2004, 05:50 AM
Hello,

As of Sept. 1, 2004, FOX net. went from 16:9 digital TV to HD. Most shows after 8pm are broadcasted in HD. It maybe 720p not 1080i. We use Comcast Cable in Philly.

june

There's a very slim chance that I could be mistaken about this - but as far as I know the FOX network has yet to start any HiDef broadcasting at all. They do transmit 16:9 ratio pix - but in the 480p format of DTV.

So, that is why the image quality that you saw on the FOX broadcast was merely OK, when the image quality on NBC was "awesome".

Write ol' Rupert Murdoch a nasty letter telling him in no uncertain terms that his network (and his business ethics) SUCK! Not that it will be likely to make any difference in how Rupert conducts his business - but it might make you feel that at least you expressed your disappointment and dissatisfaction with the crummy FOX network.

eqm
09-14-2004, 08:16 AM
I watched the RAMS in 720p on my local HD antenna. Fox has been the slowest to the game with HD, and did not think it looked as good as MNF did last night. That being said...I don't have a 720p native display, so that could be part of the issue with why I didn't think it looked as good. GO CARDINALS!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

wasch_24
09-14-2004, 12:40 PM
The majority of the nations FOX braodcasters are now 720p DD 5.1 enabled. Sept. 12th was the 'official' start day for FOX-HD. The FOX games this weekend were a little sub-par, it looked like they were pushing some sort of edge enhancement. Hopefully they will improve throughout the year. The majority of FOX's games are scheduled to be HD this season, around 5 per week.