New Paradigm Monitors? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Paradigm Monitors?

lbhkilla
09-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Heard today at a dealer that they are coming out with a new version of the Monitor series and the V3s are now pretty much limited to what they currently have built. He said he couldn't give me anymore info on the new Monitors though. Anyone hear anything on this?

Woochifer
09-12-2004, 07:44 PM
This is the first I've heard, but it would not surprise me if this was true. The v.3 series has been around for two years, and Paradigm has gone with just over a two-year interval between updates for that series.

3db
09-13-2004, 03:46 AM
Thatseven more frequent than the Japanese car industry

kexodusc
09-13-2004, 05:15 AM
Yeah, but for the most part there aren't many substantial changes. My old Paradigm dealer told me the drivers were the same in most versions of them and that they usually update once production runs are finished, or suppliers change or something along that line.
I have no way of verifying this, but we compared the v1 Mini Monitors to the v2's and v3's. Couldn't really tell much difference.
There are some exceptions though, the old Monitor 5's were floorstanders, and the old Monitor 3's had 6-1/2" woofers instead of 8".

Woochifer
09-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Thatseven more frequent than the Japanese car industry

Typically, receivers get updated every year, and speakers usually go for about two to five years, and then get an update of some kind. The thing to keep in mind is that most speaker companies use OEM suppliers for their drivers, and those vendors update their designs regularly as well.

Paradigm makes its own drivers, and because of this, they can transition over to a brand new series fairly quickly. When they moved from the v.2 to the v.3 Monitors, it did not take long between the announcement and when I started seeing the speakers in showrooms, same thing with the Studio v.3 introduction.

Woochifer
09-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah, but for the most part there aren't many substantial changes. My old Paradigm dealer told me the drivers were the same in most versions of them and that they usually update once production runs are finished, or suppliers change or something along that line.
I have no way of verifying this, but we compared the v1 Mini Monitors to the v2's and v3's. Couldn't really tell much difference.
There are some exceptions though, the old Monitor 5's were floorstanders, and the old Monitor 3's had 6-1/2" woofers instead of 8".

Between the Monitor v.2 and v.3 at least, I know that the 5, 7, and 9 at least had a pretty substantial redesign, because they went from a two-way to a 2 1/2-way design. The v.2 series had the bass drivers wired together, whereas the v.3 splits the deep bass output into two drivers but keeps the midrange for one driver. Ultimately though, the sound quality differences were once again in the subtle category.

kexodusc
09-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah, they were substantial in design...not result....should have been clear on that. But in the Mini's in particular, there wasn't anything noticeable.

Lensman
09-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Heard today at a dealer that they are coming out with a new version of the Monitor series and the V3s are now pretty much limited to what they currently have built. He said he couldn't give me anymore info on the new Monitors though. Anyone hear anything on this?

Well, I can now tell you for a fact new v.4 Monitors are coming out. I ordered a pair of Mini Monitors and a CC370 two weeks ago. I wanted a shielded pair, so they had to order them from the factory. When I read your post I contacted my local dealer, who told me he hadn't heard anything from Paradigm but would check.

After waiting to hear back, I stopped in today at the same time UPS delivered my speakers (v.3s). I spoke to the owner, who called Paradigm while I stood by. The Paradigm rep told him they were set to begin shipping their new v.4 line in 3-4 weeks. As I'm having to build my HT setup in stages (other speakers/sub later), the owner graciously offered to sell my speakers to someone else and order v.4s for me. I accepted, so now I'm waiting.

lbhkilla
09-24-2004, 02:16 PM
hmm, was he willing to deal with you on the v3s? Im looking for a pair of Monitor 3s and going to stop by the dealer in Madison and check it out. If they will deal I might have a new pair.

Lensman
09-24-2004, 04:47 PM
hmm, was he willing to deal with you on the v3s? Im looking for a pair of Monitor 3s and going to stop by the dealer in Madison and check it out. If they will deal I might have a new pair.

Well, he might have if I'd asked. But I didn't. I'm having to upgrade my speakers in stages and I'd rather be able to end up with a completely matched system than save a few dollars. At $399 for a specially shielded pair in a box that just arrived and has never been opened, I'm sure the discount wouldn't have been much. Especially since the Paradigm rep said the changes to the v.4s are minor. But right now would be an excellent time to ask about demo v.3s or new ones if the store actually carries inventory. This is definitely the best time to get a deal. :D

Wireworm5
09-24-2004, 07:23 PM
You know maybe I could take a set or Studio 40' s off my dealers hands. I'll just move my monitor 9's and 601's upstairs. I have extra Av receiver and dvd player I'm not using, but I still haven't paid for my amp. Lets see ..... I have 4 weeks before the new line comes out, so I should have 1/3 of my amp paid for and a tax return early in the new year. Yep, I can swing it! I need to get myself something for Xmas anyways.:)

Luis31
09-29-2004, 07:22 AM
From Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, their report on CEDIA 2004...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/cedia-2004/show-report-cedia-2004-page-3.html