Dish HD Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dish HD Receiver

s dog
09-11-2004, 08:35 PM
I called dish today to see how much it would cost to upgrade my satellite receiver to a HD receiver, if i got a HDTV this winter, They said it would be $400.00 to do the upgrade my ?, Is that the going rate or are they trying to rip me off. It sounds kinda high to me.

plextor guy
09-12-2004, 04:08 PM
I called dish today to see how much it would cost to upgrade my satellite receiver to a HD receiver, if i got a HDTV this winter, They said it would be $400.00 to do the upgrade my ?, Is that the going rate or are they trying to rip me off. It sounds kinda high to me.

In my area, the local heavy hitter Dish Network company gives them away from time to time if you're a new customer. One of their current offers costs 999 bucks for which you get your choice of either a 34 inch wide screen hd crt or a 40" hd rear projection, a hd dvr/receiver, all necessary hardware and installation. As an existing customer you should call your provider and see what they can do. Tell them you're shopping around and looking at cable and DirecTV as alternatives to Dish. Ask if they have any customer retention incentives for staying with the Dish Network. Bottom line is that there is a lot of competition.

s dog
09-12-2004, 08:44 PM
yea that is what i will do , i will call them back and tell them that they are going to have to give me a better deal or i will go else where that should make them think a little bit

Mr Peabody
09-14-2004, 05:35 PM
I suspect when Dish Network gets rolling with HDTV they will offer a good upgrade deal like when Dish500 came into being. You could upgrade for little to nothing.

Personally, I'm holding off on upgrading my dish simply because I refuse to pay additional money for HD channels. If I had a HDTV now I could get network broadcasts in HDTV for free. Dish will sell you a hand full of stations, most of which you wouldn't ordinarily watch, for around $11. a month. I think I will pass. I'm sure cable and Direct are the same way. I think it will pay to be patient with HDTV.

s dog
09-14-2004, 09:27 PM
I think you are right there is just not enough hd channels to make it worth while ,But im wandering if it is worth buying a HDTV for watching dvds for now upgrade the dish later, i think i will post this ? see what every one thinks

Mr Peabody
09-15-2004, 05:43 PM
I think you are right there is just not enough hd channels to make it worth while ,But im wandering if it is worth buying a HDTV for watching dvds for now upgrade the dish later, i think i will post this ? see what every one thinks

If you have a DVD player with "Progressive Scan" you should get a better picture with a HDTV. You can already see prices starting to drop on HDTV's, I guess it depends on how long you want to hold out. And, if the better picture is worth the expenditure. If you are in an area where you can pick up TV stations from an antenna, I'd definitely say it was worth it. You will gain an improvement on DVD playback, if your unit is progressive scan, and networks broadcast quite a bit of HD, especially in prime time. www.crutchfield.com is a good place to pick up basic information on HD and other topics. They have learning links that do a good job of getting you started.