Look mummy, there’s an airplane up in the sky
Did you see the frightened ones?
Did you hear the falling bombs?
Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the
Promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue
Sky?

Did you see the frightened ones?
Did you hear the falling bombs?
The flames are all gone, but the pain lingers on.

Goodbye, blue sky
Goodbye, blue sky.
Goodbye.
Goodbye.
Goodbye.

R. Waters

Stone
09-11-2004, 11:26 AM
The Disappearing Davey strikes again!!

Davey
09-11-2004, 12:44 PM
The Disappearing Davey strikes again!!
Yeah, I probably should've explained that I didn't catch the significance of Rick's post at first and my response was kind of flippant, and some might even say disrespectful to the memory of those that died on this day in 2001. So I deleted it in the hope that few saw it. Sorry for tarnishing your post, Rick.

newtrix1
09-11-2004, 02:23 PM
so I guess no harm done
hope you didn't say anything about my mama! ;)

Davey
09-11-2004, 03:58 PM
so I guess no harm done
No, it wasn't really bad and was just a comment on your choice of lyricist ;)

Glad to see you around again, Rick, and hope you have time to stick around for awhile.

Slosh
09-11-2004, 10:40 PM
so I guess no harm done

Consider yourself lucky you didn't see what was said about your mammal!! :rolleyes:

NP: TFF - Blueberry Boat (an album that will be awe-inspiring for those who discover it for decades to come. Truly.)

Davey
09-12-2004, 09:31 AM
NP: TFF - Blueberry Boat (an album that will be awe-inspiring for those who discover it for decades to come. Truly.)

I dunno man, sounds kinda gay to me . . . kinda like an attempt at a Broadway musical.

Flip...flop...flip...flop...not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

<i><font size="-1"> My baby's got a stick stuck out her beak,
My baby takes a drink out of the leak,
My baby's got a blue-green sweater,
And a nest down by the creek.
Plume bloom bloom blaby bloom
Cheep cheep beep bee-bee beep.</font></i>

Slosh
09-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Flip...flop...flip...flop...not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

I already said I was just playin' for those first couple of posts. I tried to find their debut yesterday (knowing it's much less ambitious) without any luck. Well, I guess I did have some luck, but it was all bad. Also had no luck with any Sparklehorse back-catalog, Old Canes, Rouge Wave (the one mp3 I heard was pretty decent), and all of the brand new London Calling LPs sold out right away. :( Ack, I hate when that happens.

NP: BtS - Ancient Melodies Of The Future

mad rhetorik
09-12-2004, 03:30 PM
The tribute/remembrance is thoughtful, and appreciated.

-Jar-
09-12-2004, 05:05 PM
I already said I was just playin' for those first couple of posts. I tried to find their debut yesterday (knowing it's much less ambitious) without any luck. Well, I guess I did have some luck, but it was all bad. Also had no luck with any Sparklehorse back-catalog, Old Canes, Rouge Wave (the one mp3 I heard was pretty decent), and all of the brand new London Calling LPs sold out right away. :( Ack, I hate when that happens.

NP: BtS - Ancient Melodies Of The Future

hey man.. in need of GOOD MORNING, SPIDER?

-jar

Slosh
09-12-2004, 11:24 PM
hey man.. in need of GOOD MORNING, SPIDER?

-jar

uncanny :)

Davey
09-13-2004, 09:20 AM
I already said I was just playin' for those first couple of posts.
Well, I hope you already know that I'm just playin' for ALL of my posts so don't take my jabs seriously, Sloshy ;)

You know one thing that's funny about Blueberry Boat is that I've read comments from some people that say the album as a whole is very good but the songs don't stand that strongly on their own, and others who say that the album as a whole is just too much to take in one sitting. Hehehe, I just don't get it since it works great for me either way - the songs are so catchy and memorable that I have snippets bouncing around my brain box all day long, and the album still flows beautifully from song to song. I agree that it's a lot to soak up at first because it is long and complex, but after those first few listens it becomes almost like a movie soundtrack, except the movie is whatever you want it to be in your head. Great stuff, on so many levels. BTW, just remembered there's a little 6+ minute review on the <a href="http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3908030">NPR</a> site with some music clips mixed in that I listened to a while back. Nothing too exciting but might be a nice little listen for those that aren't familiar yet with the album.

Both of those first two Sparklehorse records are very good. I bought the first one on CD and then saw it on vinyl so snagged it too. Don't know if it's still available - probably not. I did think it sounded much better in some parts on the vinyl, but some of it is kind of lo-fi and doesn't make much difference. Good album and probably still my fave, I guess partly because it kind of blew my mind at the time, especially the eerie sounding "Homecoming Queen". Hadn't heard anything like it before at the time. It does bounce all over the map and maybe loses some points for that but I still love it. Cool cover too. It made an appearance in the lower left corner of my <a href="http://members.mailaka.net/davey/1995.jpg">1995 Retro cover</a> :)

That Old Canes is a good one. Give me the word and I'll send you a sample since it opens my latest comp. Hayes is your current addy, right?

Slosh
09-13-2004, 02:31 PM
That Old Canes is a good one. Give me the word and I'll send you a sample since it opens my latest comp. Hayes is your current addy, right?

lanuginous
phrenology
subclavian
dorsiventral
armamentarium

Are any of those the word? :p
I'm still on Hayes (the street, not the river in Manitoba).

I started making a comp a few weeks ago, which would be the first in a long while, and even ripped "Mason City" before I saw you used it too, but I'm still so damned busy with work and what time I have leftover for something I'm told is life . . .

I might have to wait for the year-ender at this rate :(

Thanks man, and yes, I knew you were making fun of me ;) (I know, I make it too easy)

NP: The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms