Compact discs... could be history [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Compact discs... could be history

jack70
11-13-2003, 12:07 PM
This form of digital storage has been talked about for decades, but this story (www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_837803.html?menu=news.latestheadlines) seems to make the claim that technology may finally be getting there... at least make it cheaper than the current (really cheap) plastic substrate system that CDs use, which is the main reason CDs are the current digital medium of choice for consumers.

This has gotta be great news for the big music corporations... just another excuse to RE-release all their catalog yet again.

Start throwing out those CD's guys...

Dave_G
11-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Well, you knew it eventually would move to a non moving media, the costs thusfar have made it prohibitive.

Dave

Troy
11-13-2003, 12:56 PM
<rant>
Awwwwwcrap. 8-Tracks were good enough! I loved the flourescent green Jethro tull ones.

I like owning something. Something I can touch. With everything on one chip one slip and all your music is gone.

I want to go to a store, get out of the house, be swayed by packaging, posters and in-store play. Grab a slice of pepperoni next door to the used record (sorry, CD) shop and joke with my friends about the crap they bought.

It's hard to describe, but I like getting my hands dirty looking for music.

And another thing. I don't want to have to download everything. I already have too much studio tan from this damn computer, now I gotta sit here and search for music for the rest of my day on it now too?

And another thing. When you have 25,000 songs in a directory, how do you ever know what you want to hear? I need to look at the CD stacks and see titles and covers of albums that help trigger the desire to play them. When you have 2,000 song titles that start with the letter "G" in a list on a little LCD screen, it looses all it's context, not to mention, charm.

You telling me that I HAVE to be responsible for providing the printing for saving a copy of my purchase? Sounds like the end of cover art. Maybe I'm an old curmudgeon, but I STILL believe in holding something in your hands on the sofa or in the backyard that says what songs you're listening to, not some BS scrolling LCD screen on the faceplate, always the same color, always the same font. Positively barbaric! I still believe in the power of the album cover and the associations they conjur. It's more important than the people "in the know" think it is.

You telling me that I have to also buy a new storage device that's portable that I plug into my reciever at home, work or the car like one of them SiriusŪ radio faceplates? Oh, but wait, I also have to buy a new deck to plug this thing in for every SINGLE place I want to hear music? What's THAT cost? The CD is fine, stuff like this goes past eh point of diminishing returns.

Whether that story is, in fact, true or not, this is the future. But I don't have to like it.

</rant>

nobody
11-13-2003, 01:20 PM
I hate that download crap too.

Ya go to the site, spend your time downloading, pay a buck a song, and all you have are files on your hard drive. If you download a whole album, say 15 songs, you still pay just as much as a CD. Then, if you want to listen away from your computer, you have to provide your own media to burn it, you own case if you wanna carry it, your own art if you wanna know what's inside. You end up paying more for less. And, I don't wanna have to transfer all my music files every time I upgrade my computer.

If they could solve the portability issue, the quality issues, and the access issues with super fast connections to everything I want, I may become interested. Until then, it looks like way more trouble than it's worth to me.

Now, the digital media mentioned in the article just sounds like a smaller, cheaper to produce CD in essence. Unless they do some sort of sound quality upgrade or sell them at lower prices, I don't see any advantages for anyone other than the record companies.

DarrenH
11-13-2003, 02:18 PM
<rant>
Awwwwwcrap. 8-Tracks were good enough! I loved the flourescent green Jethro tull ones.

I like owning something. Something I can touch. With everything on one chip one slip and all your music is gone.

I want to go to a store, get out of the house, be swayed by packaging, posters and in-store play. Grab a slice of pepperoni next door to the used record (sorry, CD) shop and joke with my friends about the crap they bought.

It's hard to describe, but I like getting my hands dirty looking for music.

</rant>

Thank you for saying that. That's precisely how I feel but you said it so much better than I could.

Darren

tommc
11-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Couldn't agree more with Troy...I still buy CD's instead of downloading mp3's. Regardless of sound quality, the experience of going out to buy a new CD, removing the plastic, and putting it in the CD player for the first time is part of the hobby. You pay for it though...if I remember correctly, a good part of the cost of a CD covers the distribution and shelf space costs. It's got its pros and cons...I'll take the CD though.

John Beresford
11-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Couldn't agree more with Troy...I still buy CD's instead of downloading mp3's. Regardless of sound quality, the experience of going out to buy a new CD, removing the plastic, and putting it in the CD player for the first time is part of the hobby. You pay for it though...if I remember correctly, a good part of the cost of a CD covers the distribution and shelf space costs. It's got its pros and cons...I'll take the CD though.

Couldn't agree with you more, Tomm. You are right----going to the store, opening the wrapper, looking at the labeling all over the disc, popping it in the player -- all part of the hobby, you are right. Very much like DVD shopping for me, too.

Also part of the hobby for me is ordering promotional CD singles of tracks I want WITHOUT buying the entire album, then collecting a fair amount of those, along with select tracks off of same-genre albums, and burning them onto a CD-R for a mixed comp. THAT is part of the hobby for me, too, and I never do this via computer. It's all about touching the original full length CD or CD single, removing the packaging, looking at the label and disc, inserting it in the player. You are right.

Slosh
11-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Also part of the hobby for me is ordering promotional CD singles of tracks I want WITHOUT buying the entire album, then collecting a fair amount of those, along with select tracks off of same-genre albums, and burning them onto a CD-R for a mixed comp.

Still working on that Gooey comp?

John Beresford
11-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Still working on that Gooey comp?

Where are you getting this from?

Slosh
11-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Where are you getting this from?

Good thing you're not a spy ;)

Everyone knows who you really are. Can't run from your past.

Maybe a fresh start is the right thing in this case, though :)

I predict you'll claim you have no idea what I'm talking about but we know better, don't we?

John Beresford
11-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Good thing you're not a spy ;)

Everyone knows who you really are. Can't run from your past.

Maybe a fresh start is the right thing in this case, though :)

I predict you'll claim you have no idea what I'm talking about but we know better, don't we?

WE know better? Dude, are you sure YOU arent a spy?? A fresh start? Cant run from my past? All I said was that I agreed with his assesment that CD packaging can be "part of a hobby" until you chimed in with this nonsense...I dont even know who you are; all I did was reply to someone's post.

Jim Clark
11-21-2003, 02:06 PM
WE know better? Dude, are you sure YOU arent a spy?? A fresh start? Cant run from my past? All I said was that I agreed with his assesment that CD packaging can be "part of a hobby" until you chimed in with this nonsense...I dont even know who you are; all I did was reply to someone's post.
32 posts in one day? Well then it's a good thing you're not a troll. Kind of harsh to denying knowing someone who sent you toons for free dontcha think? Oh, that's right you're someone completely different and don't have any idea what's going on with this mistaken identity thing.

Enjoy your run on this forum.

jc

John Beresford
11-21-2003, 02:21 PM
32 posts in one day? Well then it's a good thing you're not a troll. Kind of harsh to denying knowing someone who sent you toons for free dontcha think? Oh, that's right you're someone completely different and don't have any idea what's going on with this mistaken identity thing.

Enjoy your run on this forum.

jc

Someone who sent me tunes? Do you have any proof of this? I NEVER asked for anything on here and this is my "first run" here as you so grandly point out. Again, all I did was agree with what was stated regarding CD packaging and its correlation to this hobby, based on what Tommy Boy originally stated. Thats all I did.

What proof is there that I was mailed anything from anyone? What are you talking about?

Slosh
11-22-2003, 06:46 PM
I don't even know why I bother with this character. Wonder if he was the moderator between Norb and Chris ;p

John Beresford
11-24-2003, 07:48 AM
I don't even know why I bother with this character. Wonder if he was the moderator between Norb and Chris ;p

This "character", eh? Slosh, I will have more "character" than you will ever have, insulting people you don't even know from the comfort of your own home...pretty said, my boy...pretty sad. No backbone on you, whatsoever.

Slosh
11-24-2003, 02:03 PM
This "character", eh? Slosh, I will have more "character" than you will ever have, insulting people you don't even know from the comfort of your own home...pretty said, my boy...pretty sad. No backbone on you, whatsoever.

Hmmm...

DJ Scotty the turntable terrorist
ToLiveAndDieInNewYork
Lexmark3200
and now John Beresford

Did I miss any? Takes lots of character changing your moniker every so often just so you can post the same questions over and over and over... :rolleyes:

BTW, point out to me where I insulted you 'cause I'm kinda stupid, ya know. Feeling a bit defensive?

If I didn't have any character I could easily post your real name and address, remember. I doubt anyone at RR would mess with you though because of a little thing called "class".

whatever

John Beresford
11-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Hmmm...

ToLiveAndDieInNewYork
Lexmark3200
and now John Beresford

Did I miss any? Takes lots of character changing your moniker every so often just so you can post the same questions over and over and over... :rolleyes:

BTW, point out to me where I insulted you 'cause I'm kinda stupid, ya know. Feeling a bit defensive?

If I didn't have any character I could easily post your real name and address, remember. I doubt anyone at RR would mess with you though because of a little thing called "class".

whatever

Go ahead and post my "real address and number" (as if I know what you are talking about and would ever give that information but for real instances where someone would like to settle something man to man instead of man to machine); you, my boy, are exhibiting a LOAD of class making idle accusations off the cuff --- with simply no recognition of degree of recourse -- against people you don't even know, from behind a computer terminal. VERY, VERY classy. I must admit.

You are right, Sloshy, in this case, though...whaaaat---EEEVA.

John Beresford
11-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Hmmm...

ToLiveAndDieInNewYork
Lexmark3200
and now John Beresford

whatever

Oh, and by the way, again, ALL I DID was agree with someone in here who said that OPENING A CD PACKAGE AND TAKING THE DISC OUT FOR PLAYBACK WAS PART OF THE HOBBY----THATS ALL I DID...I didnt see anything else with regard to what YOU are claiming or accusing me of....are you denying that I did this? SCROLL UP and your PROOF will be right there----ALL I DID was say I agree with what this guy said regarding it all being "part of the hobby"----is that NOT WHAT I DID? I simply stated that I agree with him that its all part of the hobby. Didnt say anything else.

Slosh
11-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Oh, and by the way, again, ALL I DID was agree with someone in here who said that OPENING A CD PACKAGE AND TAKING THE DISC OUT FOR PLAYBACK WAS PART OF THE HOBBY----THATS ALL I DID...I didnt see anything else with regard to what YOU are claiming or accusing me of....are you denying that I did this? SCROLL UP and your PROOF will be right there----ALL I DID was say I agree with what this guy said regarding it all being "part of the hobby"----is that NOT WHAT I DID? I simply stated that I agree with him that its all part of the hobby. Didnt say anything else.

What you posted wasn't the point. Who you are is what I wanted to get across. That's all. Lots of people at AR get a kick outta your posts and I just wanted to show you're back again.

BTW, do the initials S.A. mean anything to you?

The majority of people at RR know my name and address. You may have it too 'cause I put my return addy on everything I mail. I'd hardly call that hiding.

Strap on a set of balls and fess up to who you are (as if everyone doesn't already know). Oh, and just out of curiousity, impressed any 11th grade girls with your Accord's car stereo lately?

Respond if you must but as of now you're on my ignore list so I won't see it.