any suggestion [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : any suggestion

equate
09-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi Guys,

should I buy a center channel for 6.1 or buy 2 speakers for 7.1 for what I have? Is it worth of getting 2 surrounded speakers. If I buy a center channel, any suggestion what is good? Btw, my budget is $150. Thanks

Mini Monitor
CC-370
PDR-10
Atoms
h/k avr-330

Woochifer
09-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Before you ask any of those questions, you need to first tell us what speakers you're currently using as your mains. With the surround and center speakers, the issue is not what is better, but how well they match the other speakers.

The other thing you need to address is if your sofa/chair is currently pushing up against the backwall. If the answer is yes, then forget about 6.1 or 7.1 -- you don't have enough room. Any improvised method of trying to squeeze the back surround speaker(s) into a space that tight will ultimately detract from, rather than improve, the sound quality.

Also, do you have a timbre matched 5.1 setup yet? If you got main, center, and surround speakers all from different companies with different tonal characteristics, then your budget is better spent on switching out the nonmatching speakers with timbre matched ones. IMO, you first get your 5.1 setup right, and then figure out whether or not you want to proceed.

N. Abstentia
09-10-2004, 02:45 PM
According to his post he's using Paradigm Mini Monitors as mains, CC-370 center, and Atoms for surround :)

As far as what I would do...I don't know. If it were ME with that setup I would either upgrade the sub (although I'm not sure how big your room is) or get Monitor 5's for the front, move the Mini Monitors to the rear and sell the Atoms to make up the cost difference. That's right..I personally would leave it 5.1 and just upgrade the speakers.

Woochifer
09-10-2004, 04:11 PM
According to his post he's using Paradigm Mini Monitors as mains, CC-370 center, and Atoms for surround :)

As far as what I would do...I don't know. If it were ME with that setup I would either upgrade the sub (although I'm not sure how big your room is) or get Monitor 5's for the front, move the Mini Monitors to the rear and sell the Atoms to make up the cost difference. That's right..I personally would leave it 5.1 and just upgrade the speakers.

Silly me! That was a pretty big brain fart, I thought he was listing his options. I guess going less than four hours sleep the past couple of nights has caught up with me!

cam
09-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi Guys,

should I buy a center channel for 6.1 or buy 2 speakers for 7.1 for what I have? Is it worth of getting 2 surrounded speakers. If I buy a center channel, any suggestion what is good? Btw, my budget is $150. Thanks

Mini Monitor
CC-370
PDR-10
Atoms
h/k avr-330
I might get torn apart for this, but I would stay with 5.1. Sell your atoms and buy some ADP 370's. Yes they are di-poles and yes some people can't stand them. But let me tell you about my experience. I use to have atoms for mains and surrounds, sounded good, just needed more. Next system was monitor 7's, cc370 and some adp 370's. I was very impressed. I then upgraded my receiver, one that supported 6.1. I have 11 feet behind my couch so I decided to buy a cc 370 center channel speaker for my center rear. What was a very spatial sound now became very narrow. I researched and was told that I need two center rears. I got my money back for the cc370 and bought a pair of mini monitors for my center rear. My room is 14 feet wide and I spaced them about 6 to 7 feet apart. Still did not improve on that spatial sound I wanted. I kept trying to convince myself that 7 speakers was better then 5. After alot of different set-ups and trials I found that a 5.1 set-up with di-poles at my sides was BY FAR my best result. My room is 14 feet wide but I felt like I was in an auditorium. I introduced those center rear channels and my room felt like it was 8 feet wide. For me, 5.1 with di-poles at my sides, gives me that 360 degree bubble of sound that a movie theater experience gives you. If you choose to stay with 5.1 your receiver will also perform better. The power supply will be less taxed. OK rip into me about the di-poles, I'm use to it.

chimera128
09-10-2004, 04:56 PM
If you are wondering which one will be better, two speakers or one center channel, I would have to say neither. They will both be reproducing the same channel (i.e. you will have the same sounds coming out of both) so you probably wouldn't notice that big of a difference. That being said, I wouldn't purchase a "center channel" for your rear center. Just buy another one of the speakers that you are using for rear surrounds (if you can buy just one). I have bipolar all the way around (except center) and love the way it sounds. You shouldn't feel like you are going to be attacked just because you like them cam.

kexodusc
09-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Mini's are fine for mains having owned the Mini's and Monitor 5's before, though, the M5's are better for bass heavy music, they lack a certain something in the mid range I was never comfortable with....hmm, for $125 you could get a rear channel, but I'd seriously upgrade the sub (unless you are in an apartment)...you'd get way more "fun-factor with a PW-2100 or a Velodyne, SVS, HSU Research, the Parts Express Titanic MKIII, etc, etc...
If you ever do the 6 or 7.1 thing, you'll probably get better results with 7.1 if your room is fairly wide, but I stress this is dependant on your room size.

Geoffcin
09-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Hi Guys,

Mini Monitor
CC-370
PDR-10
Atoms
h/k avr-330

For getting two speakers. I use two inwall speakers for my rear surround, and I would reccomend a two speaker rear, if you have the room for it. My seating position is 5ft from the rear wall, and I would put 4 ft as a minimum for any speaker on a stand. 6.1/7.1 is worth the trouble if done correctly.

cam
09-10-2004, 06:52 PM
For getting two speakers. I use two inwall speakers for my rear surround, and I would reccomend a two speaker rear, if you have the room for it. My seating position is 5ft from the rear wall, and I would put 4 ft as a minimum for any speaker on a stand. 6.1/7.1 is worth the trouble if done correctly.
i'M GOING TO HAVE TO MODERATE YOU IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME ONE MORE TIME! HEHEHE! OH YA, i'M NOT A MODERATER.