Mylar Tweeters? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mylar Tweeters?

joel2762
12-08-2003, 04:38 PM
What are the Pros/Cons of Mylar tweeters? Are they better/worse than other types? Thanks in advance for any help!

happy ears
12-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Well that all depends, have heard some that sounded pretty good in the past. But that is just personal taste. If you can hear them it might make it easier to decide.

joel2762
12-09-2003, 03:08 AM
I've heard them and I like the sound. But besides the sound factor, do Mylar tweeters have any benifits over other types of tweeters? For example power handling, sound clarity, etc. What is mylar anyway?

happy ears
12-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Advantages and or disadvantages, sort of like life. Mylar is a type of plastic. Only owned one pair of speakers with Mylar tweeters and I too liked them. Advantages, light weight material, descent power handling, relatively cheap. Preferred the sound compared to most metal domes, but at the expensive of top end response. Tend to roll off a bit earlier, 18kHz to 20kHz compared to metal tweeters. At the time I found most metal tweeters sharp, mid 70’s speakers. Not as good as best silk domes, but this can be pricey. However there is lots to choose from in all types. If it sounds good go for it.

The only disadvantage I found was that on my tweeters wires came out of the face plate and then entered through the Mylar dome. This was not a problem until a purchased a used Phillips tuner. Europe does not use stereo indicator lights and also have a slightly higher response on FM transmissions. The tuner picked up the FM stereo indicator light as low level noise and this caused the Mylar to melt around the wire do to heat. Once eliminated the tuner no problem.

Enjoy

joel2762
12-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Could you please explain that part again about the tuner? Thanks for the help!

happy ears
12-09-2003, 05:12 PM
The Phillips FM Tuner was designed for the European format. I believe they used about 16kHz as the top end for the highs on FM. In North America it is I think about 14 kHz, but we also use a FM stereo indicator light, European’s did not. Better sound over fancy features. Stereo indicator light is I believe at a carry wave of 32 kHz, the half wave frequency is 16 kHz. The tuner did not have a filter to deal with this so it played this signal as distortion. Tuner’s designed for North America will not have this problem.

I always heard a very quiet hissing sound on the high when listening to FM radio. Most people said it was in my head as they did not hear it. As this was poor distortion it damaged the Mylar tweeters. Although the hissing sound was fairly quiet it is pure distortion to the tweeters. Being pure distortions the wires that went through the Mylar front got to warm and melted the plastic.

Went through a couple of tweeters figuring this out. Tested integrated amplifier, speakers, tape deck, until someone realized that it was the tuner. Bought a new tuner and never had a problem again. Tweeters do not like distortion! After this the speakers play loud and clear for many years, in fact still have the tweeter just do not know to do with. Maybe I will build some speaker for HT to use them.

I do not believe that this will be a problem.

Have A Great Day, enjoy the music

joel2762
12-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Okay I get it now. Thanks for the help. I'm in North America so I shouldn't have this problem. So Mylar is a type of plastic?

mpm32
12-11-2003, 07:36 AM
Okay I get it now. Thanks for the help. I'm in North America so I shouldn't have this problem. So Mylar is a type of plastic?

Yes mylar is a type of plastic. Those balloons that are metalic silver looking are made out of mylar.

joel2762
12-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Okay thanks. So is this a good material for tweeters?