Need some speaker advice! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need some speaker advice!

]V[ANTIS
09-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Hi all. i just started upgrading some of my a/v equiptment and need some advice. I in no way have a killer system or anything like that, but its decent enough for me. I have a Marantz SR5300 AV receiver and am looking to upgrade my old psb speakers. I have a chance to pick up a pair of used paradigm studio 20's (V3 i beleive) for about 650 CAD$

My question is would this be worthwhile with my receiver?? Will i be able to use the paradigms to their abilities?? Its just a start for me, but i use my system mainly for music

Thanks

kexodusc
09-09-2004, 11:10 AM
The receiver will have no problem running the Studio 20's. Nice speakers. Try to listen to them (and as many others as you can) before handing money over. You don't want to get stuck with something you just don't quite like, only to second guess yourself until you upgrade again.

Not a bad price on the V3's, though.

Curious, if your system is decent enough for you, why the upgrade?

BillB
09-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Your receiver's fine for a pair of 20's. As kexodusc said, check out as many other brands in your price-range that are available in your area. Also weigh the cost of whether the upgrade is worth it to you. $650CDN buys a lot od CDs and DVDs!

Bill

]V[ANTIS
09-09-2004, 11:22 AM
The receiver will have no problem running the Studio 20's. Nice speakers. Try to listen to them (and as many others as you can) before handing money over. You don't want to get stuck with something you just don't quite like, only to second guess yourself until you upgrade again.

Not a bad price on the V3's, though.

Curious, if your system is decent enough for you, why the upgrade?

Im just not happy with the sound quality im getting from it. Sounds nothing like the demo i got in the store. They were running paradigms!

Plus, i have a buyer for my psb alpha towers...i will only have to spend 350 on the 20's in this deal

kexodusc
09-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Hmmm, you'll need some stands.
I don't doubt you'd enjoy the Paradigm's (I have the 20's and 40's) and if this deal is a limited time thing, then you'll have to decide rather soon. It's always nice to shop around though, the more you hear, the more you'll be able to make the determination yourself.

The Paradigm's are very efficient speakers and will play very loud with only 1 watt of power driving them. Your receiver won't have any issues at all driving a pair of Studio 20's.

]V[ANTIS
09-09-2004, 11:36 AM
do stands actually make a difference in sound...i mean different brands of stands??

BillB
09-09-2004, 12:44 PM
The biggest difference good stands make is getting your speakers to proper height for you listening position. They'll have to be sturdy to hold the 20's.

Sand-fillable stands may make a difference to you if you can hear one, same with spikes. Whether that difference is good or bad is up to you.

Bill

N. Abstentia
09-09-2004, 02:19 PM
28" stands would be perfect for the Studio 20's. Somebody posted a link here the other day to some really nice stands that would be perfect, they were heavy steel, sand fillable, and only $200. You need something that sturdy for 20's, they are HEAVY. Cheaper stands will allow the speakers to sway back and fourth, which will pretty much destroy the sound quality.

Can someone link to those stands again? They were big heavy steel, and they had a 28" model. I use these when I need 24" stands:
http://www.studiotech.com/jsp/productDetail.jsp?prodID=12
And the others were very similar, only 28".

RGA
09-09-2004, 03:17 PM
If You're in Canada - heck even if you're not - you will want to check out the Skylan Stands. They go for $200.00 but if you look at what is available at $200.00 or a fair bit more the Skylans are outstanding. Though not made out of steel they actually can outperform a lot of steel stands - Steel rings. Naturally it depends on the quality and implementation - Sound Anchors etc will deaden the sound very well of course - but the Skylans use composits of MDF and ceramics. http://www.skylanstands.com/

Find out what height is appropriate for the 20s and Noel will custom build them for you. They are of course sand and lead fillable.

Stands make a big difference - They are essentially part of the speaker - a floorstander is a standmount with its own box included and standmounts sound better often because the floorstanders (stand) is cheap garbage resonating wood. Stand also resonate - Put a cup of water on your speaker when playing and you will see the resonance transferred to the water. Well they transfer to stands too and you want stands that don't sing along.

This doesn't mean you have to go nuts here - and even the Skylans are a bit overkill perhaps - but IMO there are stands out there for $130.00Cdn that are okay - for an Extra $70.00 though you are getting something first rate that when you move to better speakers that the 20s you won't have to worry about the stands. Also I've done a few reviews here of speakers around that $500-$750 price - try and check some of those out as well. Aslo things are dicier when buying a demop or used speaker in that while the speaker may be a "deal" there are lots of speakers that are demos or used that for $650.00 may have been well over $2k just a few years ago. So check your high end dealer's used section because you might find a diamond amongst the banal.

]V[ANTIS
09-09-2004, 05:27 PM
If You're in Canada - heck even if you're not - you will want to check out the Skylan Stands. They go for $200.00 but if you look at what is available at $200.00 or a fair bit more the Skylans are outstanding. Though not made out of steel they actually can outperform a lot of steel stands - Steel rings. Naturally it depends on the quality and implementation - Sound Anchors etc will deaden the sound very well of course - but the Skylans use composits of MDF and ceramics. http://www.skylanstands.com/

Find out what height is appropriate for the 20s and Noel will custom build them for you. They are of course sand and lead fillable.

Stands make a big difference - They are essentially part of the speaker - a floorstander is a standmount with its own box included and standmounts sound better often because the floorstanders (stand) is cheap garbage resonating wood. Stand also resonate - Put a cup of water on your speaker when playing and you will see the resonance transferred to the water. Well they transfer to stands too and you want stands that don't sing along.

This doesn't mean you have to go nuts here - and even the Skylans are a bit overkill perhaps - but IMO there are stands out there for $130.00Cdn that are okay - for an Extra $70.00 though you are getting something first rate that when you move to better speakers that the 20s you won't have to worry about the stands. Also I've done a few reviews here of speakers around that $500-$750 price - try and check some of those out as well. Aslo things are dicier when buying a demop or used speaker in that while the speaker may be a "deal" there are lots of speakers that are demos or used that for $650.00 may have been well over $2k just a few years ago. So check your high end dealer's used section because you might find a diamond amongst the banal.

I i decide against the paradigms, what other suggestions could you give me...in the 5-600$ cad range?? inotherwords, could you point me in the direction to your reviews!!

thanks

RGA
09-09-2004, 05:39 PM
V[ANTIS']I i decide against the paradigms, what other suggestions could you give me...in the 5-600$ cad range?? inotherwords, could you point me in the direction to your reviews!!

thanks

I have three threads starting with RGA reviews etc.

I have heard more than these but I have time constraints to write up everything. My intention is not to disuade you. If you like them be happy. I would post your question over at Audioasylum.com. The 20 V2 is not to my personal taste but everyone is different.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/bbs.html

kfalls
09-10-2004, 05:23 AM
The Studio 20's are a very nice speaker and should sound fine with your receiver. If your ears (not a bad price either) led you to initially choose the Paradigms, don't let one posting change your mind. There's nothing wrong with researching your purchase, but I find with speakers I'll listen first and ask questions later. I would rather form my own first impressions, create a short list of speakers I'm interested in, then research, compare and contrast my selections, followed by final listening sessions.

You may not have an impressive rig, but the fact you're on this web-site says you're looking for quality sound and value and Canadian speakers are some of the best in these categories. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either the PSBs or the Paradigms for sound or value. Also try to buy the best speakers (to your ears) you can afford. Receivers, and sources change frequently to accomodate current formats and marketing trends, but a great sounding speaker will be a joy for many years. Hey, anyone want to buy a Lexicon CP1+? It's a great piece of gear, but outlived its usefulness long before its time.

kexodusc
09-10-2004, 05:25 AM
The best $500 - 600 ($ Cdn) speakers I have heard in the last year or so are probably the Energy C-3 or the Paradigm Monitor 5 v.3. To be honest, you'd get a better value buying the C-1 or Mini-Monitor IMO at around the $400 ($CDN) price point. There are things about these two (C-3 and Monitor 5) I don't like, but at this price-point, I can't complain.
In the USA, there's a lot more competition to these speakers because they sell for the same in US dollars, but Paradigm and Energy seem to sell them cheaper in their home country.
You may listen to these and find you don't quite like them (or even hate them), but there are few that would say these are not at least a decent buy at $500-$600 cdn. They're certainly indicative of what you can expect at that price point.
If you can get a Studio 20 v3 at that price, it will hands down outperform the other two and probably many others.
Now, if you can look for and find a good used speaker for $600, chances are it'll be more competitive with the Studio 20, and I don't doubt you could find a speaker you like more. Then again, you might not.
What you've got to decide is whether to buy the Studio 20 now, or take the risk of finding something better if you wait, and pass up on the Studio 20. Depends how long the deal on the Studio 20 lasts.

3db
09-10-2004, 06:08 AM
The Alpha T's are PSB's entry level speakers and are a good speaker for the money. The Paradigms you refer too are in a totally different price class then the Alpha's. For that money, see if you cannot snag a pair of new PSB Image4Ts. I had a quick listen to them ( 15 minutes ) and without my reference CDs . The salesman was playing Dianna Krall through a NAD T773 and NAD cdplayer and the vocals that were put out were simply incredable.. I could even hear her breathing through the song.. So life like
Good luck and have fun

]V[ANTIS
09-10-2004, 06:22 AM
The Alpha T's are PSB's entry level speakers and are a good speaker for the money. The Paradigms you refer too are in a totally different price class then the Alpha's. For that money, see if you cannot snag a pair of new PSB Image4Ts. I had a quick listen to them ( 15 minutes ) and without my reference CDs . The salesman was playing Dianna Krall through a NAD T773 and NAD cdplayer and the vocals that were put out were simply incredable.. I could even hear her breathing through the song.. So life like
Good luck and have fun
I actually have the alpha T's and thats what i am trying to upgrade. I was using the old aplha av's as rears, and switched them to my mains, and the sound quality for music greatly improved. Anyone want to buy a pair of alpha t's!!!

3db
09-10-2004, 06:46 AM
V[ANTIS']I actually have the alpha T's and thats what i am trying to upgrade. I was using the old aplha av's as rears, and switched them to my mains, and the sound quality for music greatly improved. Anyone want to buy a pair of alpha t's!!!

Maybe I wasn't clear. I suggested trying PSB's new Image series; T45 (new replacement for Image 4Ts)

Give em a try . You'll be amazed

]V[ANTIS
09-10-2004, 07:33 AM
you were clear...i got it!. thanks for the suggestion...im going speaker shoppign this afternoon.

RGA
09-10-2004, 08:24 AM
I assume you have a high end store or several in your area? Attempt to listen to stuff you may not have heard of before. There are reasons some stores carry lesser known speakers over "big name" speakers. Obviously they carry the line not for the big sales they will generate with the masses because if that's all they cared about the store would carry something else instead. Chances are they carry it because it's the best sounding spekaer the store has and a few customers actually bother to listen extensively. Look for such speakers and try them - you still may like the 20 best but the more you DIRECTLY compare it against the more sure you will be of your decision.

Try the JM Labs Chorus line, The Audio Note AX Two I reviewed a couple of threads down, some of the standmounts from Linn - the Kan or Kataan(hate their names but the speakers sound nice), and PMC.