Yamaha rx-v750 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha rx-v750

hmmmm
09-09-2004, 05:57 AM
I'm considering buying the Yamaha rx-v750 and wanted to know if any of you have experience with it or would recommend anything else for about that price. I'm hoping to get it at about $550 or less. I see a lot of these "sealed" Yamahas on Ebay for about $150.00 less but is it worth the risk without the warrantee?
I also have my walls already wired for "presence" speakers but didn't know if it was worth using them (I have art covering the wire holes). I currently have a 6.1 setup. I listen to a lot of SACDs and DVD-As and watch too many movies.
Any thoughts? Thanks!

kexodusc
09-09-2004, 06:37 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe the 750/650 models from Yamaha will only output to the "presence" speakers OR the surround backs (6th and 7th channels), so that might rule it out for you.

I always recommend the RX-V650/HTR-5760 model for around $330-$360, if you don't need a phono stage, component video upconversion, or a learning remote. To me this is the best bang for the buck speaker today.
If you need any of the above features, the 750 is a great buy too. Try www.jr.com for a cheap price on these (though there are cheaper if you look hard enough).
Make sure you find an authorized dealer (J&R is).
You can risk ebay (I have in the past) and do well, but you'll cry if you are one of the very few unlucky ones.

hmmmm
09-09-2004, 06:49 AM
[QUOTE=kexodusc]I could be wrong, but I believe the 750/650 models from Yamaha will only output to the "presence" speakers OR the surround backs (6th and 7th channels), so that might rule it out for you.

Have you heard the presence speakers being used before? I'm not sure if they make much of a difference but since I have extra speakers and the wires there, I thought I'd try it. My room is only 14 feet wide and I can't wire the back wall for 2 surrounds so I'd have to stick to 6.1.
Also, no authorized dealer will sell the 750 online that I can find. (the ebayers will!).

kexodusc
09-09-2004, 07:00 AM
[QUOTE=kexodusc]I could be wrong, but I believe the 750/650 models from Yamaha will only output to the "presence" speakers OR the surround backs (6th and 7th channels), so that might rule it out for you.

Have you heard the presence speakers being used before? I'm not sure if they make much of a difference but since I have extra speakers and the wires there, I thought I'd try it. My room is only 14 feet wide and I can't wire the back wall for 2 surrounds so I'd have to stick to 6.1.
Also, no authorized dealer will sell the 750 online that I can find. (the ebayers will!).
I tried a bastard version of a 5.1 w/ presence speakers...I wasn't terribly impressed. I didn't have the speakers mounted up high enough though, they were about 4 or 5 feet off the ground.
You can buy the HTR-5760 anywhere and it will be an "authorized" deal, since the HTR line is made for this type of distribution. It's identical to the RX-V650.
If you're set on the 750, you could buy from somewhere like Etronics who will supply their own "house warranty" for at least some security. Not sure you'd get that on ebay.
But that's completely up to you. I'm sure alot of people buy the 750 on ebay without incident.