Crap!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Crap!!!

uncooked
09-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Ok heres the deal, my friends dad's friend............. bought these out of the back of some guys white van. No joke. the guy wanted 1200 bucks for them and he said i ll give you 300 which the guy started laughing at his face at. So he turned around and started to walk away when the guy said OK you can have em for 300.

So anyways i didnt know anything about this until my friend told me that he had the system at his house, so i went over to check it out. I seriousely thought the whole thing was a joke. He said he bought it out of a white van and all.

The he lifts the box and says LOOK AT THE PRICE TAG. It was a giant white sticker which said LIST $2599 OBVIOUSLY a freeking sticker but he actually believed it. The box says some crap like 700 "programed" watts. Then there all like "GO LOOK AT THE FRONT OF THE SUBWOOFER" im like why??? "JUST DO IT" so i look at it and there is 3 green lights and a red one flashing for no reason whats so ever. and there like AWSOME HUH!!!.

the back has no optical or coax in. just the 5.1 ins.

I just kinda went along with it all not saying anything becuase this guy is gonna have the hardest time ever hooking it up. not magnetically shielded, and he wont have a dvd player with 5.1 independant outs.

Anyways the point of this whole thing is becuase ive never heard of this fake"ish" brand before. u guys?

http://www.ibizcarts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TR-501&Category_Code=ht_sys&Store_Code=thr

P.S it sounds like the sound is coming out of someones ass. Hence the title somewhat......

Worf101
09-08-2004, 08:38 PM
You friends dad (er right) got hoodwinked, scammed, flim flamed, took, hosed and snookered. There's whole websites devoted to the White Van Scam. These guys take 3rd rate speakers from Canada or China, put a price tag on em and shop them to greedy Americans looking for the deal of a lifetime. And their greed get's them about 150 dollars worth of speakers for 300. Ah there's one born every minute.

Da Worfster

uncooked
09-08-2004, 08:44 PM
These guys are evil though there site looks fairly proffesional, even thought there LIEING. It says digital audio ins and outs. IT DOESNT.

O well its to late for whatever the guys name was, but the thing that matters is that he was actually very happy with his buy. It "probably" sounds better then his tv's speakers a 62" sony but i dont know by how much.... and he might have some problems with that non magnetically shielded business.

Smokey
09-08-2004, 09:03 PM
I just checked their web site, and they have a 27 inch HDTV for $2000. WTF??

And no information as what type of A/V inputs or specifications TV have. Given that 27 inch HDTV can be had for around $800 or lower, I wonder would be fool enough to buy that TV. May be the white van will deliver it to your house for that price :D

topspeed
09-09-2004, 09:59 AM
It's a scam, pure and simple. $20 worth of drivers in a straw cabinet. TR is getting smart tho and have found a better distribution method besides the ubiquitous white vans; the internet. They dump this garbage on unsuspecting bidders on ebay all the time and people actually but 'em! Oh well, caveat emptor and all...

As for your friends, don't pee in their pool. The damage is done. If they're happy, be happy for them. No need to ruin their good time.

Of course, if they ever piss you off, now you have a trump card to drop on them ;).

uncooked
09-09-2004, 02:51 PM
exactly how i feel about it, if they like it then i guess it was a good deal "for them" most likely i dont think they have heard a really god HT to compare it with. They compare it with tv speakers.

piece-it pete
09-10-2004, 09:56 AM
They compare it with tv speakers.

There it is - the reason everyone loves their HTIB.

Pete