Connecting DVD player to receiver/TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting DVD player to receiver/TV

viveks
09-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi all,

I just bought Onkyo HT-S670 home theater system, have a few newbie questions will appreciate if someone can answer these:

For connecting DVD player receiver gives you choice of using optical or coaxial cable. Is one gives the better output as compared to other. On this message board I have seen a few posts where people preferring coaxial over optical is there any particular reason for that ?

Right now I'll be connecting only the DVD player, is it okay if I leave the video output of DVD player directly connected to TV via component cables or for some reason it has to go through the receiver. The receiver has only S-video as input and output.

Another question I have is about the quality of speaker wires. If I replace these with some 16 gauge cables would it improve the quality.

Last but not least how is the quality of products from acoustic research as compared to Monster cables ( which are considerably expensive).

Thanks!
--viveks

This Guy
09-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Coaxial is preferred because it's cheaper, they both sound the same though. Yes it's ok to connect the video directly to the TV. Generally the farther away the speakers are the lower the gauge you should use. I'm using 16 gauge for all speakers and it's fine. 14 gauge would be a little better, whether it wil make an audible difference, I doubt it. Acoustic Research does make some sturdy cables for pretty cheap. You'd be just as fine with the standard gold plated stuff radio shack has.

Krazykaj
09-09-2004, 01:43 PM
The type of audio cable, coax, or optical, doesn't matter. The best way, so you are convinced, buy one of each, try them out, and see if you notice any difference. Return the other. If they both sound the same, which i'm sure they will, keep the cheaper one :)

If you are only watching DVDs on you TV, then just hook the DVD player straight to the TV, no problems. The only reason why you'd hook it to the Amp, is if yo have other equipment, it makes it easier to switch between them. Or if the amp has some sort of video processing features.

The speaker cable, again, i don't think you will notice any real difference.

anyways

Cheers
KJ