What's the deal with Opeth? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Opeth?

kexodusc
09-08-2004, 04:47 AM
I've only heard a few select songs by these guys and I can't figure out what the big fuss is. A few of my friends swear they're right at the top of the prog-metal scene with Dream Theater et al. All the press I see about them suggests their the best Metal band on Earth.

Whenever I've heard them I couldn't help but think they were a 1991 Death Metal band all over again. I just can't seem to get past the "pissed-off metal growl". Is this only used in a few songs? Where's a good place to start with these guys if I want to give them a chance?
I had grown bored of the hardcore for the sake of being hardcore Beastor Growl a few years back, but I suppose if the music's there and it's done well I could appreciate it.

Alot of people who seem to have good taste in music here endorse them...so I'm ready to try again. Please point me in the right direction.

<i>edit: poll option 3 should read "cheese metal" not "chesse metal"...my bad!</i>

mad rhetorik
09-08-2004, 09:35 AM
I've only heard a few select songs by these guys and I can't figure out what the big fuss is. A few of my friends swear they're right at the top of the prog-metal scene with Dream Theater et al. All the press I see about them suggests their the best Metal band on Earth.

Whenever I've heard them I couldn't help but think they were a 1991 Death Metal band all over again. I just can't seem to get past the "pissed-off metal growl". Is this only used in a few songs? Where's a good place to start with these guys if I want to give them a chance?
I had grown bored of the hardcore for the sake of being hardcore Beastor Growl a few years back, but I suppose if the music's there and it's done well I could appreciate it.

Alot of people who seem to have good taste in music here endorse them...so I'm ready to try again. Please point me in the right direction.

They use the growls for a reason. It's part of the light/dark aspect that forms the bulk of Opeth's sound. Yes, they are definitely death metal-influenced (Akerfeldt cites Morbid Angel as an inspiration for the harder aspects of their sound), though they are far better than most of that genre. Talent-wise, Opeth has very few peers. If you listen to just the music you'd realize that they have quite a mastery over dynamics, and also a gift for melody. Soft acoustic folk flows into fiery passages of thrash/death metal virtually seamlessly. The tracks are long, and are masterfully put together, with no real exercises in wanking a la Dream Theater. Lyrics tend to be excellent too, none of the gory stupidity or Satanic references which make most of this genre so tired.

Getting adjusted to the growls takes time. I'd start with their most recent album <b>Damnation</b> first. Beautiful folk/prog with not a growl in sight. After that, try <b>Morningrise</b>, <b>Still Life</b>, and <b>Blackwater Park</b>, which are all split soft/loud in varying degrees (<b>Morningrise</b> is split roughly 50/50, which makes it easiest to get into--it's also my favorite Opeth album). If you like those and want something heavier (though still containing the loud/soft dynamic) buy <b>My Arms, Your Hearse</b> and <b>Deliverence</b>.

If you can't dig 'em it's okay. A lot of listeners, especially people who don't frequent the fringes of extreme metal, have a hard time with Opeth. Give them a shot, though, and be patient. You may be pleasantly surprised.

BTW...what do you think of the new Iced Earth album with Tim Owens on vocals? I've heard that it's good but doesn't hold up to the Matt Barlow albums.

kexodusc
09-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Sorry, it's hard for me to take any leftover Beastor growlers seriously...I was way into that when I was in junior high/highschool growing up, but I much prefer a good singer now (which since I posted this thread, I've heard a bit in Opeth's lead guy on a few mellow tracks). I guess if it's done right it's not bad. To me so much of it is "loud for the sake of loud" to sell image and albums to pissed off kids,though I probably judge a bit unfairly. But if there's no Satan worshipping or pissed of lyrics of indifference and parental neglect/abuse, it makes it past my first cut.

I've never heard any "wanking" in DT (well maybe live in concert), but rather their explorations seem to me to indroduce or relieve certain musical tensions...I find it works well, although most of my non-musicians friends don't care for the technical demonstrations like I do and just put up with it. Now Yngwie, he wanks!!! And wanks!!! And wanks!!!

The new ICED EARTH (I'm slightly embarassed to admit) is actually quite good if you like retro-cheese metal that sounds just a bit too much like some Iron Maiden spawn. I love the concept, some of the lyrics are really clever. It's not a metal-masterpiece by any means, but I think it's really fun to listen too. And that's what music should be about, isn't it?

I really like Tim Owens' job on this better than Burlow's last few rounds (he sucked big-time with Judas Priest though). I'm not a huge, serious Iced Earth fan because I can't get past obvious influences I hear in their sound without calling foul, but to me, this is a step in the right direction, and somewhat rejuvenating. Maybe some purist long-time fans don't like the album as much? But yeah, it's a fun album to listen too. I see so many young kids wearing the shirts and hats and stuff, I hope these guys bust through big time...I'm so sick of anything NU METAL it isn't funny.
I'd definitely give it a try, it surprised the hell out of me.

(PS: Not all cheese metal is bad. Most NU METAL is)

Javier
09-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Death metal ( not even metal alone i'm more into melodical stuff )is not my cup of tea really hate that ugly growling singing after seeing the band mentioned here i bought Blackwater park i just couldn;t pass the first track fiery metal plus growling singing a definitive no-no for me so much that i pass the disc to a friend, latter reading a review on all music guide decided to gave it a second listening revelation came in the third track a soft melodical acoustic guitar based track, next track displayed more of that acoustical side blended with some powerful metal chords and thats it a great albun from start to finish, better than Dream Teather which ussually cause on me some tiredness around half a cd. Not with Opeth give them a try i already ordered deliverance and damnation that good they are .

kexodusc
09-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Well that's what I've heard alot of...give it a chance, give it a chance...Javier, you must be from the old school of metal like me...tight pants, big hair...shrieking drama queen singers. Lyrics about dragons, and wizards, and sucking blood...Man, those were the days.

Javier
09-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Well that's what I've heard alot of...give it a chance, give it a chance...Javier, you must be from the old school of metal like me...tight pants, big hair...shrieking drama queen singers. Lyrics about dragons, and wizards, and sucking blood...Man, those were the days.
Most into the classic prog really back in my high scool days couln't stand not even rush, but know im pretty much older and a litlle bit more open minded.

Dusty Chalk
09-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Yeah, if you can't get past the growls, Opeth pretty much sucks. But then again, so will 99% of all the other "troo" metal these days. I'd give my left nut (almond, not the other kind) for some really good metal with a really good singer. Labrie actually is quite tolerable, perhaps even a breath of fresh air, after listening to nothing but growling and screaming (you think Opeth is bad, try Cradle of Filth).

But then again, I have gotten past the growls, and once you get used to them (I still don't like them, but I have gotten used to them), they are quite good, quite possibly the best. The sad thing is, he can sing, he just chooses not to 90% of the time. I have to admit, the first time I pulled that an-extra-octave-lower growl, I was quite pleased with myself, so I can see why they do. But really, get over it already (this being said to all the metal growlers out there) -- it's a novelty, and needs to be used with restraing. Like maybe once per album (or maybe once per career).

3-LockBox
09-08-2004, 08:27 PM
I own <i>Damnation</i>. It has alot of good stuff on it, but it sounds just like a Porcupine Tree album, prolly cuz Steve Wilson is producing, writing and singing on it. They definately have some chops, and the lead singer actually can sing, so why do the cookie monster thing? Hopefully they expand on the Damnation album and stay away from the dopey growling. I'll reserve judgement until then.

kexodusc
09-09-2004, 03:43 AM
After first few listens, I'm impressed. There's no denying the musical and songwriting talent. Interesting concept, the whole album is sort of the same speed, mood, etc. That's usually the kiss of death, but I have to think this was deliberate on Opeth's part (not a big fan so I don't know for sure). If that's the case, it works quite well.

I understand this is very unlike their other albums though...So I'll work backwards, try to listen past the cookie monster growl (good one, I've always heard "Beastor Growl", as in Beastor from the ol' "My Pet Monster" cartoon).

I wouldn't say it sounds quite like a Porcupine Tree album. But I see where you're coming from with Wilson involved.

Troo-metal, eh.

Cradle of Filth just sounds rediculous to me.

Deliverance is up next, probably later today. Here we go...

Dusty Chalk
09-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Be careful with Damnation -- that's a very exceptional Opeth album. I've called it "the Opeth album for people who hate Opeth". They've done the occasional moment here and there, but basically doesn't sound like anything else they've done. And vice-versa.