It was like removing a curtain in front of the speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It was like removing a curtain in front of the speakers

hertz
09-07-2004, 10:05 PM
I have a nad / wharfedale setup which I have been using this for more than an year now with 12 guage OFC speaker cable. I always found some recordings slightly muffled. Case in point is the Norah jones (come away with me cd) and diana krall (look into my eyes cd-the 1st song). I used to bypass the direct switch in my amp and increase the treble a bit to compensate for this.A friend of mine lend me a kimber 4pr cable yesterday to try with my system. What a difference ! It is like removing a curtain. The soundstage has opened up. The highs and mids are so much clearer and clean.
I NO LONGER USE THE TREBLE CONTROL.

ToddB
09-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Was this from your friend who's a dealer? If so, is he going to "lend" it to you on a permanent basis? :D

hertz
09-08-2004, 02:29 AM
No, he is not a dealer. I have to return it. He was using this to biwire with another pair of 8PR. I will be placing an order. Will get it after a week or so.

FLZapped
09-08-2004, 06:10 AM
I have a nad / wharfedale setup which I have been using this for more than an year now with 12 guage OFC speaker cable. I always found some recordings slightly muffled. Case in point is the Norah jones (come away with me cd) and diana krall (look into my eyes cd-the 1st song). I used to bypass the direct switch in my amp and increase the treble a bit to compensate for this.A friend of mine lend me a kimber 4pr cable yesterday to try with my system. What a difference ! It is like removing a curtain. The soundstage has opened up. The highs and mids are so much clearer and clean.
I NO LONGER USE THE TREBLE CONTROL.

So what's the possibility you accidentally had one speaker wired in reverse polarity? Have you tried reconnecting your old cables again?

-Bruce

kexodusc
09-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Wow. How much do the Kimber 4pr cables sell for?

FLZapped
09-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Wow. How much do the Kimber 4pr cables sell for?

Here is one place:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/c.ACCT106601/sc.2/category.93/it.A/id.1512/.f

Of course, there is always this route:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=4pr&num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=kimber+&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

-Bruce

Worf101
09-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey, anything less than a C-note is fine with me. Hell I'd get em used off of ebay for that matter....

Da Worfster :D

hertz
09-08-2004, 10:13 PM
My wires were in phase. I had tried out bi wiring and all that stuff with the same quality 12 guage generic wire. This is my first entry into good quality cables.I listened to some more albums yesterday. The tourist by ST Germain was another album which showed a "shut in " quality with my older cables. I listened to the whole album yesterday. The highs and mids have just opened up.Some of the brighter recordings have become slightly bright. My friend who has dynaudios say that the wharfedale diamond speakers have a slightly shrill tweeter. The same bright recordings have much more cleaner output on his system. I guess the kimber is very transparant so I won't prescribe it to somebody who has bright speakers.Bi-wiring with the 8PR for the LOWS and 4PR for the HIGHS are very popular among most of my audiophile friends.
I have a pair of b&w dm 602 which my dad has borrowed for some time. Will need to check the cable with those next time I vist him.