Center Channel Placement PLEASE HELP!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Center Channel Placement PLEASE HELP!!

kingpimp
09-07-2004, 07:10 PM
I have an NHT M6 speaker for my center channel. It weighs 36lbs. I need to figure out a way to place the speaker above my tv. It is a 53” Panasonic Rear-Projection Widescreen HDTV. The problem is that the tv’s cabinet is made of plastic, and it obviously has a plastic screen. The speaker is 20” wide and the TV cannot support the weight of the speaker sitting on top of it. I need to figure out a way to get the speaker to be on an even plane with the tv, and the front speakers. I would love to find a telescoping arm that could support the weight of the speaker. The front of the TV is 28.5" from the wall and the speaker is 10.25" deep. Any suggestions? Please let me know if more info is needed.

topspeed
09-07-2004, 11:30 PM
There's a vcr/dvd player stand that you can get from Target, Walmart, etc. that works well as a base for large center channels. It is essentially a flat black base with two or three adjustable feet on the back. You place the front of the base flat on the top of your tv cabinet and then adjust the feet height (where the back of your cabinet starts to fall away) to set the speaker flat or with a slight downward tilt. I use this with my center and it weighs over 40 lbs.

kexodusc
09-08-2004, 04:30 AM
There's a vcr/dvd player stand that you can get from Target, Walmart, etc. that works well as a base for large center channels. It is essentially a flat black base with two or three adjustable feet on the back. You place the front of the base flat on the top of your tv cabinet and then adjust the feet height (where the back of your cabinet starts to fall away) to set the speaker flat or with a slight downward tilt. I use this with my center and it weighs over 40 lbs.
I can vaguely picture what you're referring to, could post a link, a picture, or even a drawing in paint? This could come in hand supporting that monster Studio CC I have and allowing me to tilt it a bit. How much?

topspeed
09-08-2004, 12:46 PM
I haven't bought a digital camera yet so I had to use my d-video recorder. Hopefully, you'll get a basic idea of what I was trying to convey.

The base has a raised lip that help keep the speaker from sliding off (mine is tipped forward slightly). That combined with the rubber feet supplied with my speakers give it a surprisingly solid base.

You can see how the feet are adjustable and they are stuck to the back of the console via velcro. You can do the same with the front where it sits on the top (silver) part of the TV, although I didn't. You can't see it, but there are multiple locations that you can install the feet in the underside of the base to accommodate different consoles.

Sorry fellas, I have no idea who makes this and I'm too lazy to take my cc off, unstick the base, and figure out who it is. Just go to Target, that's where I got mine.

It ain't fancy, but it works ;)

kexodusc
09-08-2004, 12:49 PM
That's exactly what I need...didn't know such a device existed...thanks Topspeed...
BTW...I don't recognize the Center Channel...what is it? Nice grill.

topspeed
09-08-2004, 03:05 PM
That's exactly what I need...didn't know such a device existed...thanks Topspeed...
BTW...I don't recognize the Center Channel...what is it? Nice grill.
It's a B&W CDM CNT, the center channel for the CDM NT line.

That stand is actually for vcr's, dvd players and suchlike. I think it was around $10 bones.

eqm
09-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Sorry fellas, I have no idea who makes this and I'm too lazy to take my cc off, unstick the base, and figure out who it is. Just go to Target, that's where I got mine.

It ain't fancy, but it works ;)

I think it's a Sanus...about $30. I use two of the guys sideXside on my second tv to support the center that's way too da%% big for it. :D :D

kingpimp
09-09-2004, 12:40 AM
I have tried the VCR/DVD shelf idea. I got it from Target. The problem is that the weight of the center speaker is still directly on the television. The screen on the tv bows out when i place the speaker on it, even when using the shelf. I would like to suspend the speaker from the wall, that way the weight is not on the flimsy ass tv cabinet. Is there someone making something like this out there?

jimmymagick
09-09-2004, 06:49 AM
.You can do what I do and mount your center speaker using a TV wallmount. True, the speaker is not on the same plane as the front of the television but I find this makes little difference in the sound. You also have a certain amount of play in angling the speaker so you can direct it to your listening position.

kingpimp
09-09-2004, 09:16 AM
I think I may have solved my own problem.

http://www.mountsandmore.com/prods/Peerless/PM-600/0PPE0345.htm

I will mount a board to this allowing me to place the speaker on an even plane with the TV. I hope this works! Anybody use this mount before?