home theater/music enthusiast [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : home theater/music enthusiast

k4rnage
12-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Hey, i'm new into this whole home theater speaker business. Right now I own a decent 120w Aiwa XS-G3 which has done me well for the past almost 2 years with music and movies on my computer but 2 speakers isn't enough. I want a 5.1 with a fatty sub and a dvd player, but i only have about 500 dollars to spend. I've been looking at 2 products...The Fluance AV-HTB which is only $200-$250 for 5 good looking speakers http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html , but could anyone tell me what receiver and DVD player would go with this and it needs to be powerful enough. Also i was looking at the HTIB onkyo HT-S760, so it alraedy includes a receiver but i would still need a DVD player or even a CD player for my music. I was just wondering, will either of these be good for music? music is my #1 priority, movies come 2nd. any advice would be welcome.

Bryan
12-09-2003, 08:31 AM
What size room do you have? Are you aware the Fluance set does not include a sub?

Because music comes first for you look at used gear. That is where your value will come from. Quality new speakers and a subwoofer will run you close to $850 - $900. Look around here, audiogon.com, and HTF for used gear.

yamdsp-a1
12-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Buy used. You will get far more bang for your buck.

Look at e-bay or audiogon and find someone in your area who is selling. Or you can also try some stereo stores, they sometimes have traded in items for deep discounts. You might be able to get a really nice set of equipment for your $500.

From a sound quality perspective, you are almost assured of doing better going used.

Of course, be smart about it. Don't buy speakers from a Frat house. But if you find an older set of nice speakers being sold by someone who looks like your Granfather, then you may have found a bargain (although what for the hearing aids!).

Since music is your prioriity, I would stick to a music only system or an older itnegrated amp from a quality company (yamaha is my preference but you may like something else) but not worry about the 5 speakers. You can always add them when you get a bit mre cash together.

It is called upgrading and if you get into this "hobby" you will become very familiar with the term!

Good luck,

Yam

JSE
12-09-2003, 09:15 AM
I thought I just read somewhere in a thread here that the Onkyo is giving a free DVD with the HT-S760 for a limtied time. May want to go to Onkyo's web site and see if the deal is still on. From what I remember reading, the HT-S760 seems like a pretty good deal for under $500 refurb. with warranty.

JSE

JSE
12-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Check here.....

http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog.cfm?id=3

JSE

k4rnage
12-09-2003, 02:18 PM
My room is about 15x17. Not quite sure, but around there. It's just a smaller sized bedroom, so i'm still thinking of the onkyo ht-s760 because it will probably fill my room with enough sound (6 speakers) and a decent looking sub, and it comes with a free decent DVD player and since this is my first purchase in the "home theater" business i'm sure this isn't a bad purchase, considering it gets great reviews. Anyone have any more suggestions before i make a mistake?

Bryan
12-10-2003, 06:57 AM
The weight of the receiver do not lend credibility to its specifications. It weighs less than 22 lbs. It will probably do 100W at 8 ohms in one channel at 1KHz. However, it will not do that with all channels driven, 20Hz - 20KHz.

The specifications of the subwoofer lend credence to it being boomy (emphasizing the 35Hz - 63Hz range) rather than giving you clear bass notes. Think of it more as a constant bombardment of bombs running together rather than being able to clearly hear the individual bombs and subsequent delay before the next one hits. This sub is unable to face the wrath that is the first ten minutes of Toy Story 2, a known sub killer.

As an initial HT it is fine but will leave you wanting much more, especially as music is your love.

Realistically, for what you want you are looking at spending between $1,500 - $2,000 for a new system that will last you several years. I would encourage you to look around for quality used gear as it will save you alot of money both in the short term and in the long run.